The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tipping Vs Not Tipping

Inspired by a similarly named, but completely different thread.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/360875-tipping-vs-not-tipping/

When is it beneficial to tip a shot in hockey? Isn't there a good chance that you'll just tip it wide? I know players practice the tip so that they have some control over where they redirect the puck, but surely it isn't perfect.

Have there ever been situations where the puck was clearly going to go in, but the player in front didn't know that because he was facing away from the goalie, and he tipped it wide?

Discuss. To tip or not to tip, that is the question.

Players shouldn't be focused on scoring/beating goalies one on one. Every player, in front of the net is trying to tip the puck. The guys trying to score, will try to tip it towards the goal, and the defenders will try to tip it away from the net.

Tipping the puck is pretty easy, but there's so much going on. Whether it's battling for position, whacking oppositions, triple deflections, 100mph slapshots, are all contingent things that may be going on.

the key is to get the puck to the net.

The second part is interesting...but i think when players decide to tip, it's one of those shot from the point

If it's a one timer, then i probably do my best to screen the goaltender rather than try to tip. I don't know. Other people have different experiences...?

Alot of times i feel like it's upto the players to decide when and how.

Tip

Yes the shot may go wide because of the tip (which does happen a lot). In reality though goalies are so good now that it is such a small chance that a puck goes straight in on them.

A quality tip on net will be much much harder to save for a goalie as they are prepared for the shot that was taken.

On top of that a tip shot is (IMO) more likely to result in a rebound given up by the goalie if they do in fact make the save vs. a straight shot on net.

Archived