The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Abbotsford's Jake Virtanen Looking Forward to NHL draft

Canucks

Virtanen's my guy! Best skating, forwards and backwards, as well as the hardest shot, kids going to be a beast. The X factor is he is a year of development behind most of these guys, impossible to tell what his ceiling is.

Being re-interviewed by Florida is interesting, means they're looking at a pick after 5. Not really surprised that the Leafs want him, and frankly they'd be lucky to have him. He's a can't miss prospect.

Wrong. Virtanen is not the best skater in this draft by any means.. Ehlers and Nylander are the best skaters in this draft. Although, Virtanen is the best skating big guy, he's certainly not the best overall. Also, you could argue that Ritchie has a harder shot than him.

Wrong. Virtanen is not the best skater in this draft by any means.. Ehlers and Nylander are the best skaters in this draft. Although, Virtanen is the best skating big guy, he's certainly not the best overall. Also, you could argue that Ritchie has a harder shot than him.

I see you didn't read the article, meatstick. Skating was measured at the top prospects game from which he received best evaluation for both forwards and backwards skating. His shot is also the hardest and most accurate of any other draft player.

But since you probably ignored logic to post the above I will treat you to the same level of incompetence and simply say: WRONG.

I'm concerned about his team play, we don't want yet another selfish player on this team; we are just about to get rid of one. Even Brett Hull, arguably the greatest pure goal scorer ever had close to the same assists as goals.

Bure was a selfish player too and is the best player to ever donn a Canuck jersey. If Virtanen can put the puck in the back of the net, I don't care if he doesnt get a ton of assists. As for Kesler...the best player on the team last season and you are faulting him for that?

The ducks have the tenth and there are rumors we may get that pick in a kess trade, just wake up from a long nap?

Rumours and you are already counting it as fact? How about we just sit back and see if Kesler gets traded and to whom before we count the draft picks?

The ducks have the tenth and there are rumors we may get that pick in a kess trade, just wake up from a long nap?

So according to clowns like yourself, the trade is all set and done?? So now we are talking trash like the 10th pick is ours? How pathetic can people like yourself and other monkeys get. There's been plenty of Kesler to Ducks rumors, however there hasnt even been one damn Kesler is interested in going to Anahiem Rumor.

My point is we need to stop thinking we have the 10th pick for now until Friday.

So according to clowns like yourself, the trade is all set and done?? So now we are talking trash like the 10th pick is ours? How pathetic can people like yourself and other monkeys get. There's been plenty of Kesler to Ducks rumors, however there hasnt even been one damn Kesler is interested in going to Anahiem Rumor.

My point is we need to stop thinking we have the 10th pick for now until Friday.

Jesus, you need to relax. Why are you angry? Nobody is saying it's all set and done. They're just saying 'if we acquire the 10th pick, this is what I would do with it.' Or like, 'I'd be willing to take (insert player here) if we traded for the 10th overall pick.

Man people get too emotional and hostile on these forums man. That doesn't just go for you, I'm just saying. I see it far too often on this forum

top 5, Ehlers, Nylander, Ritchie, Perlini and Fleury > Virtanen.

Virtanen has no vision (not sure how u decide on that tho) and can't set up his teammates very well, or he doesn't do it often (he had 19 more goals than assists). He's an option at 10, but I still think Perlini or Fleury, whoever is left at 10, would be better to take than him, in the event of a Kesler trade to Anaheim. IMO, he's going outside the top 10. He was already a question mark on where he was going to go, but now w/ the shoulder injury, I think it's clear.

I like Perlini A LOT more than him. They're bascially the same player except Perlini is bigger and has a better hockey sense.

Perlini wasn't even close to Virtanen at the U18's and his vision is just fine. Hes a finisher and his shot is elite so why would he try to be a playmaker when your being told to shoot.

Furthermore he was the top selected bantam into the WHL. Scored 45 in his first stint as a top 6 on a deep and talented team, best U18 forward for Canada, plays physical and oh yeah he's the fastest skater in the draft.

For me its Virtanen or Ritchie all the way. Benning and Linden know best.

I see you didn't read the article, meatstick. Skating was measured at the top prospects game from which he received best evaluation for both forwards and backwards skating. His shot is also the hardest and most accurate of any other draft player.

But since you probably ignored logic to post the above I will treat you to the same level of incompetence and simply say: WRONG.

Now that is how you own somebody in a post. Well done my good sir. Well done

Agreed. He's ranked 7th from international scouting services, so I don't see why so many people think he shouldn't be picked at 6. 6 is pretty close to 7 if you ask me. Right around where a can't miss prospect like him should be taken

McKenzie ranked him #7 in his final rankings. Ritchie at 6. He is a consideration for 6.

Laughable that all the posters who want the small soft players like Nylander and Ehlers have to go out of their way to trash Virtanen and Ritchie.

Virtanen scored 45 goals as a 17 year old, won the fastest skater competition at the Prospect Game, was rated 3rd best body checker in junior hockey.

He is also ranked ahead of Ehlers and Nylander by Bob McKenzie who knows more than posters on the Canuck website.

Agreed. He's ranked 7th from international scouting services, so I don't see why so many people think he shouldn't be picked at 6. 6 is pretty close to 7 if you ask me. Right around where a can't miss prospect like him should be taken

North American ranks he's 7th, most like to go in the 10-15 range. Had major shoulder surgery recently to that's gotta hurt him

I've been flip flopping on this pick. So many good options but all with very different sizes and skill sets. That being said, with the pure talent and passion to practice he shows mixed with a teacher like Willie... I think I'm leaning back towards Jake.

A 200+ lbs. player who is one of the fastest in draft and has one of the best shots in the draft. Add that he's from BC.

If we had AV behind the bench or someone that wasn't really a teacher or supporter of young guys I might lean another direction but I just feel like Willie can get the most out of him and his ceiling rises immediately.

Archived