The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL ready v.s Raw Talent

Canuckler87

At the sixth overall draft spot, we are going to have the opportunity to get a player who will help shape our organization for years to come. At that spot, we have the luxury of deciding if we want a guy who can come in within one or two seasons, or whether we want a guy who has amazing skill but won't be ready for atleast three or four years.

If we look at our window of opportunity, it is closing fast. If it's not too late already, we should grab someone who could step in within a short amount of time and be a difference maker (a good example would be a player like Brandon Saad- physically developed young player who contributes in the postseason)

Or we could go for pure, raw skill with a lot of hard work needed over the next few years in the weight room in order to come in and be a force. This would be like a Jonathan Drouin like player who is a ways off in terms of physical development from being in the NHL.

Now from what I get from this years draft and from where we are, we could have guys like Virtanen and Ritchie available to us when it's our turn. These guys are tough, hardnosed players and Virtanen especially looks as though he's a grown man already. They could step in the lineup in a year or two.

However, there are question marks about their hockey sense, skill level and overall ceiling of how high they can go as offensive players. It all depends on how you see this team in the next couple years. If there is no way we have a shot for a couple years and go the route of further retooling in these years, then why not go for a guy who has better overall skill, hockey sense, offensive upside, speed ? The Sedins aren't going to play forever.

Someone I've heard along these lines is Nylander. He's got world class skill, maybe the most in the draft but sometimes plays like he is the only one on the ice. So it could be a project with some risk involved. Anyways, looking forward to what JB decides to do tommorow.

Thoughts?

Guest Dasein

If we draft at 6 I want Nylander. If we want to draft Virtanen we should move down a couple of spots

I think Benning said he really likes what's available at #6 and most likely will not move down.

He is trying to move up though.

If we draft at 6 I want Nylander. If we want to draft Virtanen we should move down a couple of spots

I'd be ok with Virtanen at 6 instead of Nylander... I can't see any team in the top 10 wanting to move up the few spots to 6, when the top 5 are pretty much locked and then the rest of the top 10 are pretty much interchangeable IMO.

Let me guess: there's a thread similar to this one? That's usually what you contribute to these forums. #irreplaceable

And your opinion on the thread topic is?...

Oh, that's right, you don't have one and you just want to sound cool and get +1's by replying to my posts.

Benning is a long time scout, I'm sure he knows what he will do with the 6th pick. Stop threads like these already. If he drafts Virtanen or Nylander or whoever, he will tell us why sooner or later. He will pick what is best for the team's future. /end

Let me guess: there's a thread similar to this one? That's usually what you contribute to these forums. #irreplaceable

Oh cool a hashtag on forums.

As far as the OP. I wouldn't expect any player from the Draft to be able to step in and play right away, I think EDM has shown the world that it's better to not rush players into the NHL and ruin them by the time they are 21.

Oh cool a hashtag on forums.

As far as the OP. I wouldn't expect any player from the Draft to be able to step in and play right away, I think EDM has shown the world that it's better to not rush players into the NHL and ruin them by the time they are 21.

Crosby? Landeskog? Pretty sure there's a few more...

Crosby? Landeskog? Pretty sure there's a few more...

How many concussion does crosby have now? Maybe one more ends his career? Look just because a player is a high pick does not mean they should be expected to make the NHL at 18. Some kids have the talent and can handle the NHL, but not all of them are the same.

I think Benning said he really likes what's available at #6 and most likely will not move down.

He is trying to move up though.

I know... I just saw the interview *sigh* oh well

I'd be ok with Virtanen at 6 instead of Nylander... I can't see any team in the top 10 wanting to move up the few spots to 6, when the top 5 are pretty much locked and then the rest of the top 10 are pretty much interchangeable IMO.

You're right I don't think any of the top 10 will want to move down a couple of spots once the top 5 are gone unless MDC gets bumped out of the top 5 and Benning has a deal with someone to move down a couple of spots in case that happens. I just feel like we could get a little more than Virtanen in a player with the 6th overall pick. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it tho

Archived