The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft] VAN selects Jake Virtanen 6th Overall

Strombone1

You pick the best player available. Virtanen was not that. I'll support him though, but personally i'm very disappointed about this pick. I had the feeling this would happen if we kept the 6th overall pick, somehow.

He was ranked 7th...

There's a big chance any player taken 6th and beyond won't have their game translate to the NHL.

Virtanen has the fundamentals of size, speed, and grit that we need. The next step is hoping he has the drive to improve any weaknesses in his game.

Being a hometown boy has to help in that facet quite significantly

I think Virtanen will be a solid 2nd liner....

But he isn't the franchise player the Canucks need to win a Cup.

The Canucks should start dumping more of the existing team for more draft choices next year.

They still need that elite playmaker to center the team around... Benning wanted the #1 so he could have that player... ie. Reinhart, he didn't get it, so he is going to have to look for a way to get that next year.

This is exactly right. Virtanen might be a solid NHL player. Nylander or Ehlers could be superstars. That's the difference, and that's why we made the wrong pick.

You know I was super excited for us to have this pick cause we haven't had a pick this high in forever. I come to CDC expecting to discuss our future with some fans of our team and how awesome it is to get a pick this high and I'm really disappointed to see all that is happening here is a ton of negativity and subsequently people trying to defend the pick. Feels awful

There's a big chance any player taken 6th and beyond won't have their game translate to the NHL.

Virtanen has the fundamentals of size, speed, and grit that we need. The next step is hoping he has the drive to improve any weaknesses in his game.

Yes and Willie D has a record of making good players better.

All these toxic comments about an 18 year old kid who hasn't even been to rookie camp are pretty sickening. I get that you watched a couple highlight videos and think you know best but you should hope for the best for any of our picks, not call for their heads

They're a little addled after bashing their heads against the wall repeatedly after learning about the Kelser trade.

Just enjoy a little schadenfreude at their expense and you will get through it.

As for the young man just think of the nice smile he had. I am sure he is familiar with the toxicity and intellect level of CDC. Being a Canucks fan, he may have even read it.

I am sure if he did he knows how to put it in persceptive. After all, if he did, he's the only one here that actually has a chance to play for the Canucks.

To be fair though, I remember when Gillis first came in and people complained about his picks, the exact same thing was said about him, that Gillis knows what he is doing, he knows better than all of us...did he really? :P

Gillis signed contracts while Benning ran an NHL team.

Gillis was in law school while Benning was an NHL scout.

Benning will have continuously consulted all his scouts at every step and Gillis would have had little to no idea where to begin.

This is exactly right. Virtanen might be a solid NHL player. Nylander or Ehlers could be superstars. That's the difference, and that's why we made the wrong pick.

Nylander as a number 1 center going up against Kopitar, Getzlaf, and Thornton makes me lol.

This guy could have all the skill in the world, but he'd get manhandled by these guys.

Great player for the East, not the West.

Guess you should be working in an NHL front office.

Can we all agree we won't know $hit about this for 3-4 years at best??!

Don't quote me as a support for Nylander or Ehlers... I don't think either is going to be a superstar.

There were only two franchise forwards in this draft in my opinion... Bennett or Reinhart.

I think we have a better chance of getting a higher end guy in next years draft.

Time for Benning to start stocking up picks for next year's draft. Now that the teams that are low on the totem pole have picked, he can start shipping the rest of the rats to them for their picks next year......

Being a hometown boy has to help in that facet quite significantly

I'm choosing to believe that Virtanen being from BC had no influence on the decision to pick him. The alternative is terrifying. Selecting players because of where they're from is among the worst ideas possible for an NHL team. I can't believe Benning would be that foolish.

Archived