The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Any one remember Jack Campbell the future next great NHL goaltender, stood out in the WJC etc etc well .............

Stars trade Jack Campbell, a.k.a. goalie of the future, to Kings

Getty Images

View photo

Getty Images

BUFFALO, N.Y. — The Dallas Stars had an ongoing goaltending controversy throughout last year.

While neither Antti Niemi nor Kari Lehtonen could seize the starting job, it was largely thought that while the struggles were real this year, there was at least the idea that Goalie Of The Future Jack Campbell™ could be there to take over from them one day soon. 

Now, not so much.

Campbell, a pending RFA who hasn't played in the NHL since a single game in 2013-14, went to the Los Angeles Kings for defenseman Nick Ebert early in the fourth round, though no picks were exchanged.

Ebert, 22, projects as a low-scoring defender, having compiled just 10 goals and 26 points across two partial AHL seasons. He was a Kings seventh-round pick in 2012.

Meanwhile, this trade could serve to highlight just how far Campbell's prospects have fallen. The former No. 11 overall pick (2010) not only has just one NHL appearance since his draft year, he has also been rather poor even in the lower levels. His 2014-15 AHL save percentage was .907 in 35 games, and it plummeted to .884 in 19 last season. He actually had more appearances in the ECHL — and hey! he dominated to the tune of .944.

People in Texas seemed to think this was a mindset problem for Campbell. He was sent down from the A in December, and recalled again in late February. From then on, he was a roughly .918 goalie in the AHL, albeit in just seven appearances.

Clearly, Los Angeles is hoping he can build on that late performance next year. This is a low-risk move for the Kings, because if Campbell becomes anything like what he was projected as five or six years ago, the cost of an own-zone AHL defender is a low one.

Of course, you never know with goalies, even when they're the “Of The Future” variety.

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Any one remember Jack Campbell the future next great NHL goaltender, stood out in the WJC etc etc well .............

Good thing he's got time to turn it around. Feels like a somewhat similar situation to Markstrom when we first acquired him.

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Not sure what your getting at here. I had the "privilege" of watching Campbell with the spitfires. Called it that year he was a bust. Personally other than the hype k see zero similarities between campbell and demko. Completely different styles. 

Just now, Gooseberries said:

Not sure what your getting at here. I had the "privilege" of watching Campbell with the spitfires. Called it that year he was a bust. Personally other than the hype k see zero similarities between campbell and demko. Completely different styles. 

And I believe he was also considered a huge reach and a shock pick at the time right? I never quite liked Campbell either, do you think he can turn it around? Make it as a backup I mean. As a goalie, he's got a few years left by his side. 

4 minutes ago, suitup said:

And I believe he was also considered a huge reach and a shock pick at the time right? I never quite liked Campbell either, do you think he can turn it around? Make it as a backup I mean. As a goalie, he's got a few years left by his side. 

Of course he can turn it around. I always questioned his work ethic woth the spits. He relied on raw talent. Low battle level. Liked tk flash the glove. Gave teammates the stare down often when he was beat. To me it seems like he is his own worst enemy. If he can lose the ego i think he can still turn into a servicable starter.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gooseberries said:

Of course he can turn it around. I always questioned his work ethic woth the spits. He relied on raw talent. Low battle level. Liked tk flash the glove. Gave teammates the stare down often when he was beat. To me it seems like he is his own worst enemy. If he can lose the ego i think he can still turn into a servicable starter.

I suppose he'd have to drop it with Jonathan Quick around. I'd say this was a great trade for the Kings as I'm not a huge Ebert fan and this replaces what Martin Jones was for the Kings. 

3 hours ago, suitup said:

Well certainly some Professional scouts disagreed with your assessment....he was drafted #11 O/A in 2010

41 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The point I was making was be cautious with assessment of Prospects, that's all

I get your point, but unlike some posters who are adamant on their assessments being right, I'm not afraid to be wrong, and in some cases, to be right either. I mean it's a forum, we discuss our opinions, and a lot of that is stemmed through assessments no? 

But again, I get your point. There are definitely posters here who end up having very strong opinions and aren't able to let go. But there are also posters who engage in intelligent discussion with strong opinions and assessments of players. 

Nice feature on Demko in today's Vancouver Sun: http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/iain-macintyre-fans-take-a-shine-to-golden-goalie-demko-as-canucks-open-development-camp

SHAWNIGAN LAKE — It took a few minutes for Thatcher Demko to navigate the short distance from the ice to the dressing room area on Monday.

Vancouver Canuck fans kept politely asking the goalie to pose for photos and sign autographs and talk for a moment about the team. Demko was “the guy” on the first day of the National Hockey League team’s development camp. And this is only Shawnigan Lake, the bucolic village on Vancouver Island made somewhat famous by the boarding school that bears its name.

Just wait until Demko gets to Vancouver and the NHL.

“I still get asked about that goal,” Canuck goaltending coach Dan Cloutier said, able to smile after all these years about Nick Lidstrom’s slapshot from centre that skipped past Cloutier and precipitated Vancouver’s collapse against the Detroit Red Wings in the 2002 playoffs.

That’s the Canucks for you, and that’s their market. That could soon be Demko’s world.

Ideally, the Canucks would like their goaltending golden child to spend at least two years developing his craft and hardening his shell with the Utica Comets of the American Hockey League. Even after a sensational final season at Boston College, where Demko went 27-8-4 with 10 shutouts and a .935 save rate, the 2014 second-round draft pick is supposed to share minor-league duties with journeyman Richard Bachman next season.

But how often do things go ideally for the Canucks?

Starter Ryan Miller’s contract expires in 12 months and although the Canucks are working on an extension for 26-year-old Jacob Markstrom, Demko is their goalie of the future. He is Vancouver’s best net prospect since Cory Schneider was drafted in 2004 and started his pro career in the minors three years later.

If Demko starts well next fall in the AHL and Markstrom tweaks his groin or Miller gets the flu, will the Canucks, who are trying to sell hope to fans, refuse to give Demko a chance?

No one knows if his game is ready for the NHL, but Demko isn’t running from the spotlight or hiding from the attention.

“I embrace that stuff,” he said after the opening day of the Canucks’ weeklong development camp at Shawnigan Lake School. “Vancouver is a really passionate city (about hockey). Those are the cities that you want to be a part of and bring success to. These fans deserve success. I know the whole organization is aiming to do that. I like to embrace the fans and create a relationship with them and have some fun with it.”

Well, it's only fun until you allow one from centre.

“He went to a big school and he has played under the microscope in a lot of big games,” Cloutier said of Demko. “He’s a gamer, he’s a battler. I think that will help him through the ups and downs of the NHL.

“One of his biggest strengths is how driven he is. He’s a driven, young man. He wants this. But again, the position takes time. We’ve seen it in our own organization with Cory Schneider and Eddie Lack and Jacob Markstrom. You need that time down there (in the AHL) to work on all areas of your game, go through ups and downs, learn about travelling and living on your own, all that.”

Rollie Melanson was the Canucks’ goalie coach who helped build those earlier prospects into NHL netminders, although Cloutier worked extensively with Markstrom in Utica, N.Y., two seasons ago.

Interestingly, although Cloutier has mentored Demko as the Canucks’ roving goaltending instructor, Melanson will be Demko’s primary crease coach in Utica after switching jobs with Cloutier last month.

General manager Jim Benning said the chance to groom Demko helped convince Melanson to remain with the organization after the coach decided to leave Vancouver to spend more time with his aging mother in Moncton, N.B.

“For me it’s exciting because I’ve known him for a while and now we finally get to have him under our system,” Cloutier said. “Every kid here wants to be in the NHL playing for the Vancouver Canucks. I think the biggest thing is the ones who figure out it’s a process and takes time, and have a clearer mind about it, are the ones who usually succeed quicker. Thatcher understands his game and where he’s at.”

Recovering from hip surgery, the 20-year-old from San Diego was unable to participate at last year’s development camp. Demko’s NHL development will require much more than this week.

“I’m comfortable with it,” he said of the two-year timeline. “It’s kind of the nature of the position. I had a good year last year but, obviously, college to pros is a huge step. It’s not going to happen overnight. I’ve got to make sure I’m progressing the right way. It’s tough to rush it. You don’t want to get there early and end up stunting your development.

“I know the team has a depth chart, but it’s tough to number guys. Even if they have an injury, you can’t predict who they’ll pull up. My goal is that if I get an opportunity, try to make the most of it. I’m going to work as hard as I can to make sure I’m ready for it.”

Sooner or later.

imacintyre@postmedia.com

Twitter.com/imacvansun

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Great 1/2 combo :D loved his personality

I don't know what they should do with Bachman, maybe send him to Alaska instead of Garteig. I think that those 2 would be a great tandem in Utica to push each other. It was a great move to have them rooming together and they look like they have instant chemistry. I'd much rather see Rollie get his hands on both of these guys at the same time when they're still learning the technical side of the game. I liked the Bachman signing after what he did against the Comets in the playoffs, but watching him play for a full season changed my opinion. He's just way too small and if he isn't standing on his head making the acrobatic save, he isn't effective enough. I can see Thatcher stealing the net from him right out of training camp.

• Upvote 1