The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Parents getting paid for children under 13 during the strike

Dal Colle

As most of you know school will prob start pass September possibly pass October. It is rumoured we go back mid October. During that time Parents with children under 13 will be paid $40 / day. It's devastating for the teachers to not have negotiated a contract. The longer the strike goes the less learning time we get :( mediators from the BCTF and BC govt haven't even met yet which things are getting interesting as a new school year edges closer

Jesus Chr*st. I am oging into grade 12 and have no idea what im going to ed up doing for school.

My grade 12 courses are quite different from my grade 11 courses, so i didnt put any effort in in grade 11 as i didnt need any of it.

When i step it up i do real well, but my grade 11 marks wont get me anywhere if thats what i HAVE to apply with. fml. fu govt of bc

Jesus Chr*st. I am oging into grade 12 and have no idea what im going to ed up doing for school.

My grade 12 courses are quite different from my grade 11 courses, so i didnt put any effort in in grade 11 as i didnt need any of it.

When i step it up i do real well, but my grade 11 marks wont get me anywhere if thats what i HAVE to apply with. fml. fu govt of bc

With spelling and grammar like this, it's clear school was not your forte after grade 5.

This is rather ridiculous. The teacher's can hide behind whatever excuse they want (class sizes), it's all about the money for them. As if they deserve more money to teach the really complex subjects such as high school math, which you can basically learn for free on the Internet, along with most other subjects they teach. Honestly, there should be a complete education reform in both content and structure.

This is rather ridiculous. The teacher's can hide behind whatever excuse they want (class sizes), it's all about the money for them. As if they deserve more money to teach the really complex subjects such as high school math, which you can basically learn for free on the Internet, along with most other subjects they teach. Honestly, there should be a complete education reform in both content and structure.

I lawled

I'm going into grade 12 and so glad my family moved to Ontario recently. 3 of my friends aren't going to be able to get into their post-secondary schools/courses because summer school was cancelled +the school year is being delayed.

As correct as you may be, who are you going to trust to reform it?

Where do opinions like this even come from? You are factually incorrect. The government and the teacher's union are, for all intents and purposes, on the same page when it comes to the wage increase. They are 1% off on that, which can easily be resolved. Class size and composition IS the issue. Yeah, I guess that costs more money, but it's not money that goes into teacher's pockets.

BC teachers want 8% and the government is offering 7%. Teachers want the raise over a shorter term than the government's offer by one year. Easy issues to resolve. For comparison, Saskatchewan teachers, which already made more than BC teachers, just got a raise of 9.5% over four years.

So please, can the "teachers are greedy" indignation.

The government doesn't want to set the precedent that they can't strip legally bargained contracts. They want to make it retroactively okay in the new contract. That's why this is still happening. They've also avoided mediation and have had documents leak proving that they wanted to provoke the teachers into a strike. So there's that.

They could just take their original salaries, they don't need/deserve the pay raise.

Since you're an expert on what teachers deserve, can you tell me the last time teachers got a raise? Can you please also explain to me how any profession does not deserve a cost of living increase? Do you even understand what a cost of living increase is?

Teachers have effectively lost salary, in real spending terms, over the last fifteen years. That's how inflation works, and that's what the raises are meant to compensate for. It's not a "we deserve more" it's a "we don't deserve less".

You're out of your element, Donny.

I wouldn't say teachers are greedy, but I don't think there should be any holding out for a raise if it's one percent then bight the bullet.

Too many people are struggling to raise a family, provide proper nutrition and clothing, etc for their child, not too much sympathy from the regular Joe for the teachers here.

My daughter potentially has to miss the beginning of the school year because teacher X needs that little extra, maybe a signing bonus ? give me a break, a complete joke and it's about time people start appreciating what they have. Which I thought was a reliable schooling system for my daughter.

Class size may be a major issue today, but its such a number that varies, class size and registration will always vary you cannot get past that.

I wouldn't say teachers are greedy, but I don't think there should be any holding out for a raise if it's one percent then bight the bullet.

Too many people are struggling to raise a family, provide proper nutrition and clothing, etc for their child, not too much sympathy from the regular Joe for the teachers here.

My daughter potentially has to miss the beginning of the school year because teacher X needs that little extra, maybe a signing bonus ? give me a break, a complete joke and it's about time people start appreciating what they have. Which I thought was a reliable schooling system for my daughter.

Class size may be a major issue today, but its such a number that varies, class size and registration will always vary you cannot get past that.

FYI - teachers are also struggling. BC teachers are among the lowest paid in Canada.

It's not greedy to ask to be paid in accordance to what your professional peers across the country are getting.

Edit - I'm not accusing you of saying teachers are greedy - you clearly said that in your first sentence. It's just that teachers in BC are paid much lower than teachers in other provinces.

This is such an ignorant and uninformed post. Teachers in BC want to be paid similar to what teachers in other provinces make.

Your other point about being able to learn complex subjects for free via the internet is just as ridiculous. There is simply no substitute for having a qualified professional's help.

^^ I never said the teachers were greedy, and to be honest most of us struggle if we are not responsible with our finances, for most of us its relative.

So maybe someone with a lower paying job is struggling to pay their hydro bill for a two bedroom rental and pay for groceries, for someone else maybe they struggle with hydro as well for a 4 bedroom house, with a hot tub, garage and so on. right ? higher income and higher costs.

My point is overall being a teacher is a secure income and is nothing to be disappointed in. People all over the place are underpaid in their " profession " compared to other areas. That's just how it is.

Archived