The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

confessions

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i'm really enjoy being a baker now. working after hours and no dealing with customers. i may have found my calling. i can't recall the last time i was actually happy doing what i was doing

I love baking! I wish I could cook though :(

Bonus confessions: In spite of the fact I'm at the tail end of my twenties, I know neither how to drive nor swim. Well technically I can drive, I'm just terrified to and unlicensed. Swimming I tried and failed miserably.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Bonus confessions: In spite of the fact I'm at the tail end of my twenties, I know neither how to drive nor swim. Well technically I can drive, I'm just terrified to and unlicensed. Swimming I tried and failed miserably.

its really not hard. a lot of my friends i'm seeing really don't know how to cook. they have 2-3 recipes hand down from their mother or whatever and live off of that. i was fortunate enough that my mum taught me how to cook at an early age and worked in a few kitchens over the years. it's a life skill that everyone should know

you don't need to know how to drive, if you know how to ride ;D

Edited by Twilight Sparkle
7 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

its really not hard. a lot of my friends i'm seeing really don't know how to cook. they have 2-3 recipes hand down from their mother or whatever and live off of that. i was fortunate enough that my mum taught me how to cook at an early age and worked in a few kitchens over the years. it's a life skill that everyone should know

you don't need to know how to drive, if you know how to ride ;D

I can cook basics like pasta, rice, etc. Nothing special, but enough to survive. 

Ahaha at that last statement. Can't say I disagree ;)

11 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Just dont drive into a lake.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Cooking is easy (and fun!), you just need the courage to experiment and like most anything...practice, practice, practice.

Start slow, just google some recipes and follow them. Once you start to feel more comfortable with techniques, what flavours compliment each other etc you can start to experiment with your own tweaks to recipes. Then you can start to create your own.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Cooking is easy (and fun!), you just need the courage to experiment and like most anything...practice, practice, practice.

Start slow, just google some recipes and follow them. Once you start to feel more comfortable with techniques, what flavours compliment each other etc you can start to experiment with your own tweaks to recipes. Then you can start to create your own.

agreed...I find its about time as well...you cant rush things..many people try to break land speed records when preparing food...take your time..you enjoy it more when finished.

12 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

How does it affect your social life that you can't drive? I can't say it helps 

My confession: wearing clothes is a chore when you're feeling your gym progress and want the world to know. Sorry.

• Upvote 2
Just now, ShakyWalton said:

agreed...I find its about time as well...you cant rush things..many people try to break land speed records when preparing food...take your time..you enjoy it more when finished.

Especially when you first start learning. You're more likely to f-up and/or make a mess :lol:

Once you get good, by all means you can work on efficiency/speed but it shouldn't be the goal.

One piece of advice I'll give for that though is to largely get everything cut, prepared and measured before you actually start cooking a thing. Veg cut, spices/liquid etc out, any meat prepared, water near boiling if making pasta etc. 

And CLEAN AS YOU GO.

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Especially when you first start learning. You're more likely to f-up and/or make a mess :lol:

Once you get good, by all means you can work on efficiency/speed but it shouldn't be the goal.

One piece of advice I'll give for that though is to largely get everything cut, prepared and measured before you actually start cooking a thing. Veg cut, spices/liquid etc out, any meat prepared, water near boiling if making pasta etc. 

And CLEAN AS YOU GO.

This is a big one...lol

45 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

This is a big one...lol

My wife is HORRIBLE at cleaning when she cooks. I can cook an entire gourmet meal and leave the kitchen cleaner than when I started. She cooks and it looks like a freaking bomb went off :lol:

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Flume said:

Do tell 

I just don't really see a point in much anymore. I've gotten rid of most if not all of my social media accounts. It just seems like everyone is rushing around to go everywhere to do everything, and it all means jack.

There's nothing new under the sun. It's all the same...

6 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

I just don't really see a point in much anymore. I've gotten rid of most if not all of my social media accounts. It just seems like everyone is rushing around to go everywhere to do everything, and it all means jack.

Welcome to life off the grid. CDC is my social media.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Flume said:

How does it affect your social life that you can't drive? I can't say it helps 

My confession: wearing clothes is a chore when you're feeling your gym progress and want the world to know. Sorry.

Ehh, it's actually not so bad. Bf does all the driving, but realistically the only friends I really have were his to begin with so we're always headed the same way anyway. Plus I make the car payment every month- that's my contribution. 

22 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

16 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Welcome to life off the grid. CDC is my social media.

I also don't use social media. Except for my Instagram account that I use to stalk celebrities.