The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Led Zeppelin I, II & III Remastered (by Page) in 96/24 format

aGENT

Maybe it's time for me to get into this vinyl thing...

People need to pay attention. This isn't vinyl (though the remasters are available on vinyl as well if I recall). This is high resolution, lossless digital audio formats. 24 bit / 96kHz audio files. Not vinyl.

Wait what? I thought they were releasing on both cd and vinyl... there's records in your OP J.R.

And the thread title and interview both reference the 96/24 tracks.

Page also confirmed that he's done "really, really high-resolution files for whatever system comes next" and that 96kHz/24-bit files will be accessible via download cards in each of the Deluxe Edition box sets of the first three Led Zeppelin studio albums being released by Atlantic/Swan Song on June 3. Event moderator Robin Hurley further confirmed that all of the Zeppelin studio tracks from those three album packages coming to HDtracks.com will be 96/24. (Live tracks will be at 48/24.)

so do you have to buy the box set to get the super mega shiny downloads for whatever system comes next?

I'd imagine that means he's done a master that was at FAR higher resolution than even 96/24 (perhaps 192/24 or even higher?) and that the 96/24 tracks were down-sampled from that. When technology (mostly storage) catches up, there will then be pristine "super mega shiny" high res files made available.

I saw Zeppelin live. Rode there on a brontosaurus.

And I agree (Since I've Been Loving You)....they just don't make 'em like this anymore. What a beautiful thing this thread is.

I have music on in the background most of the time, but I stopped and actually listened to a bunch of the songs again and it reminded me why Zep has always been one of my favourites.

i have a pretty good set of sony headphones. i listened to the hq samples- it's not a huge huge difference other than bass standing out more but listening to the samples, then what i have on my pc is almost not even noticable

Probably PC's soundcard :(

You may want to invest in something like this if sound quality from your PC is important to you:

http://hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23

_MG_5282-800x800.JPG

For anyone with a bit more freedom in funds I'd recommend this unit:

http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac

audioquest_dragonfly.jpg

You may want to invest in something like this if sound quality from your PC is important to you:

_MG_5282-800x800.JPG

audioquest_dragonfly.jpg

Ok bloody awesome ! Thank you for the heads up on the head phone tech :D Cannot wait to hear those FLAC files over one of these !

Now if can I only find a unit that will allow me to plug in a cassette player and copy that to digital format ? i have so many live DJ sets on tape that cannot be lost to the audio gods !

_MG_5282-800x800.JPG

audioquest_dragonfly.jpg

For those folk with an outboard DAC and a computer try this plug and play device.

http://www.m2tech.biz/hiface.html

"

DETAILS

Highest quality digital audio up to 192kHz/24bit S/PDIF audio format available from your PC or MAC Very low jitter oscillators and proprietary drivers Compact size (2x2.2x10.2cm) with hi-end performances hiFace USB interface has been conceived to obtain the highest quality digital audio signal using a PC or MAC. hiFace input format is a data stream signal with sampling frequency/resolution up to 192kHz/24bits, available from a PC or MAC USB port. A very high quality S/PDIF stereo audio output signal is available from hiFace for your Hi-Fi system DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). HiFace looks like a small USB pendrive, featuring a very compact size. Internal very low jitter oscillators and proprietary drivers allow for playing 192kHz/24bits audio files that feature the best signal quality."

I currently use one for my living room stereo and retired my cd player to the bedroom. My laptop and this into the DAC converter sound better than my Creek Cd player through the same out board DAC. Having 1100 cd worth of music on the laptop helps as well.

But I still prefer the turntable.

It's also on vinyl but the high resolution digital files are better quality. If you're a fan of inferior products, by all means...

Now,now, if you can't play nice you might start an argument here.

Me I prefer my sound waves coming at me nice and smooth, not a set of escalator snapshots of sound. Also not a huge fan of digitals problems with a cut off high end.

From a longevity stand point if the power goes out while listening to my turntable I don't have to worry about the record being useable when the power comes back on. No virus problems either.

Most people that prefer digital over vinyl are smitten with the ease of use and are willing to give up a bit of sound quality for simplicitiy's sake.

Now,now, if you can't play nice you might start an argument here.

Me I prefer my sound waves coming at me nice and smooth, not a set of escalator snapshots of sound. Also not a huge fan of digitals problems with a cut off high end.

From a longevity stand point if the power goes out while listening to my turntable I don't have to worry about the record being useable when the power comes back on. No virus problems either.

Most people that prefer digital over vinyl are smitten with the ease of use and are willing to give up a bit of sound quality for simplicitiy's sake.

96/24 audio is better quality than vinyl. There is really no disputing that. AND it has ease of use. All the warmth and richness of vinyl with the clarity and ease of use of digital.

We're not talking 128kbps MP3 files here. We're talking lossless, high resolution audio files. Perhaps you should educate yourself on what that means (and better yet have a listen to it on a quality system) BEFORE "starting an argument".

I have listened to 96/24 and while it is miles ahead of the old original cd format, and it is blocks ahead of HDCD and gold plated discs I still prefer the turntable.

While not the best equipment in the world it is more than capable of showing the difference between various formats and different pressings of the same songs.

Well then you prefer vinyls coloration, distortion, equalization curve and surface noise. That's fine as music listening is a very personal and subjective thing.

However, no objective person could possibly argue the accuracy or neutrality of well recorded high resolution digital audio in comparison.

So while you may not find it "preferable" it is most certainly better from any and all technical standpoints (as well as usability/convenience).

96/24 audio is better quality than vinyl. There is really no disputing that. AND it has ease of use. All the warmth and richness of vinyl with the clarity and ease of use of digital.

We're not talking 128kbps MP3 files here. We're talking lossless, high resolution audio files. Perhaps you should educate yourself on what that means (and better yet have a listen to it on a quality system) BEFORE "starting an argument".

Can you point us to the right direction with a technical write up of this 96/24 format?

Archived