The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who would have to get demoted to keep Shinkaruk in the NHL

Nuxin07

DON'T promote Jensen & Shinkaruk simultaneously. We'll need a sniper ace up the sleeve, for Utica-pleasure, fwd injuries, and/or PO-push.

Soon we'll have the likes of Cassels & our 2014 class knockin' at the door, as well.

Package a buncha' goodies, & send east for a stud D-man prospect.(our weakness, albeit maybe not as glaring now). Who cares if we overpay by a smidgen?!

This.

I'll be surprised if neither makes the team... But I'll be even more surprised if both of them do.

They're basically competing against each other right now.

Guest Cuporbust2

Love how this kid plays. Saw a preseason game last year when he scored a beauty of a goal and after watching him so far this preseason you can tell this is the type of player the Canucks need in their Top 6.

The kid is young, fast, exciting, and scores goals.

My vote goes to Waive/Demote/Trade Hansen and keep Shinkaruk up in the show. Burrows is unlikely IMO to bounce back so why not put Burr on the 3rd line and throw Shinkaruk up with Bonino and Kassian.

Let's inject some youth and excitement on this team!

He is a completely different player than Hansen. He plays a very different role. U can't replace Hansen with Shinkaruk

Guest Cuporbust2

DON'T promote Jensen & Shinkaruk simultaneously. We'll need a sniper ace up the sleeve, for Utica-pleasure, fwd injuries, and/or PO-push.

Soon we'll have the likes of Cassels & our 2014 class knockin' at the door, as well.

Package a buncha' goodies, & send east for a stud D-man prospect.(our weakness, albeit maybe not as glaring now). Who cares if we overpay by a smidgen?!

We made that mistake with grabner. We need goals

It's why JB, WD, & TL get the big bucks. Our situation is really quite deceptively difficult. We're not some fading has-been, as our #6 overall worst finish appeared. It was a perfect storm, with a madman piloting the doomed vessel.

We've still got a number of talented, dedicated vets. There is a danger of discarding them too quickly. As each one leaves, hopefully a talented, enthused rookie takes their place..but we need this transition timed to perfection.

I don't know which other franchise best compares with our current scenario..Maybe Pittsburgh?

Gentlemen, I'd like to reiterate this post from last night, wondering if you'd concur or counter the notion?

It's great that we have a talent-surplus(finally!); yet we all should respect that there ARE certainly some tricky calls on this occasion.

I'm blown away by all the Burrows haters. He has scored some of the clutchest goals in club playoff history, and a proven track record with the twins. He's versatile and we can count on him not to repeat last year's injury anomaly. He'll be back and potting goals in no time. It could easily be Vrbata who gets injured and Burrows who shines with the twins just as he did a few years back when the Canucks iced their finest team since '94.

To make room for Shinkaruk, first off, ditch Mattias!!! What has he done for us lately? Or for anyone ever? Nothing of note. What's he doing taking up valuable roster space?

Here's my season-staring lineup.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Shinkaruk Bonino Kassian (or Jensen if/when Kass goes cold)
Higgins Vey Jensen
Horvat Richardson Burrows

Hansen, Dorsett extras

I'm blown away by all the Burrows haters. He has scored some of the clutchest goals in club playoff history, and a proven track record with the twins. He's versatile and we can count on him not to repeat last year's injury anomaly. He'll be back and potting goals in no time. It could easily be Vrbata who gets injured and Burrows who shines with the twins just as he did a few years back when the Canucks iced their finest team since '94.

To make room for Shinkaruk, first off, ditch Mattias!!! What has he done for us lately? Or for anyone ever? Nothing of note. What's he doing taking up valuable roster space?

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Higgins Vey Jensen

Hansen, Dorsett extras

Sorry, don't see enough muscle there, for the Pacific Div.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Higgins Vey Jensen

Hansen, Dorsett extras

I agree on keeping Burrows around, he's a smart player and can fit anywhere in the lineup. Now that Kesler's gone he's going to be the main guy on the pk.

There's still a couple more games but so far I don't see Jensen taking a roster spot this year. I think Shinkaruk should be given a chance to play on either the second or third line, he plays with a lot more confidence and skill compared to Jensen and Horvat at this point. He has a sort of killer instinct when it comes to offence. We've got Burrows, Bonino, Richardson and Hansen for defence. Plus it'll give Kassian some much needed competition

It's too bad Horvat can't go to Utica cause sending him back to junior could hurt his confidence but I don't see him taking a spot away from Vey or Richardson.

As much as I'd like to see us let Matthias go for Jensen or Horvat, I don't think it's happening. Benning wants size in our bottom 6, which Matthias has. Hopefully he'll have a decent season to either get his trade value up or give us the option to trade Richardson.

We're not the biggest or most skilled team out there, especially for the Pacific, but I'm optimistic.

Sorry, don't see enough muscle there, for the Pacific Div.

Muscle is key. I am ALL FOR trading Hansen for some extra muscle. And for a little experiment, how about seeing if Burrows can handle a push to his off wing and make the 4th line Burrows/Horvat/Dorsett!

Let's assume that unless Kassian has some kind of awakening with the twins, we're not about to see a return to the Bertuzzi days of being tough up front. As nice as that would be.

But you're right, we still have the third line without much in the way of muscle, so why not see what we can get for Hansen? I like Higgins there; I'm not yet sold on Vey. He couldn't crack LA and he's shown a bit of defensive liability. I'd rather see some skilled muscle between Higgins and Jensen. I'd put Hansen and, unless he's lights-out, Vey on the block to make that happen.

I agree on keeping Burrows around, he's a smart player and can fit anywhere in the lineup. Now that Kesler's gone he's going to be the main guy on the pk.

There's still a couple more games but so far I don't see Jensen taking a roster spot this year. I think Shinkaruk should be given a chance to play on either the second or third line, he plays with a lot more confidence and skill compared to Jensen and Horvat at this point. He has a sort of killer instinct when it comes to offence. We've got Burrows, Bonino, Richardson and Hansen for defence. Plus it'll give Kassian some much needed competition

It's too bad Horvat can't go to Utica cause sending him back to junior could hurt his confidence but I don't see him taking a spot away from Vey or Richardson.

As much as I'd like to see us let Matthias go for Jensen or Horvat, I don't think it's happening. Benning wants size in our bottom 6, which Matthias has. Hopefully he'll have a decent season to either get his trade value up or give us the option to trade Richardson.

We're not the biggest or most skilled team out there, especially for the Pacific, but I'm optimistic.

Interesting points. If it goes the way you see it, I'd like to think the heart and soul of this group can make up for some skill and size balance in terms of how we stack up against the competition. Every time the canucks have made a deep push, 82, 94, '11, it's always been the intangibles that made the difference. It's nice that we still have Bieksa and Burrows, and now with a guy like Shinkaruk who just radiates drive, and has such killer instinct, I think the team will have an aura and cohesion that keeps us winning the big games.

Muscle is key. I am ALL FOR trading Hansen for some extra muscle. And for a little experiment, how about seeing if Burrows can handle a push to his off wing and make the 4th line Burrows/Horvat/Dorsett!

Let's assume that unless Kassian has some kind of awakening with the twins, we're not about to see a return to the Bertuzzi days of being tough up front. As nice as that would be.

But you're right, we still have the third line without much in the way of muscle, so why not see what we can get for Hansen? I like Higgins there; I'm not yet sold on Vey. He couldn't crack LA and he's shown a bit of defensive liability. I'd rather see some skilled muscle between Higgins and Jensen. I'd put Hansen and, unless he's lights-out, Vey on the block to make that happen.

Your lineup might well cut the mustard..certainly possible.

Personally I don't like adding the three kids at once. I'd accept it gradually(say by late season), but only if we received commensurate value for our vets, in trade.

If one has a fat wallet, shouldn't p*ss it all away on a new girl. Save a bit in case things go south.

Ok... get this straight guys. We're NOT trading Burrows. At least, not right now while his stock is really low. Even if he starts playing like the Burrows of before, he still has a full NTC he'd have to waive, and apparently he's never been asked to do so.

Also, I'm not convinced Burrows is no longer a 2nd line player. I think he is. Nor is he unskilled or slow.

Hansen isn't slow either, but looked like the odd man out months ago. However, he too has a modified NTC he'd have to waive.

Also, we didn't pick up Dorsett not to play him.

He's what I believe the forward lineups will look like:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Vey - Hansen

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Of course, there is no youth there. But a trade is entirely possible down the road, and injuries are bound to happen... which will open up roster spots for the young guys. (I'm assuming they can come up to fill in without requiring waivers or anything to go back down? Not really sure how that works)

I feel like we can trhow Hansen to the fourth to replace Mathias and maybe Jensen to the third. I don't know...could that work?

Matthias looks redundant.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Higgins Vey Jensen

Hansen, Dorsett extras

Not going to hear any Burrows hate from me. That guy will bring 100% of whatever he has and helps set the standard for the young guys.

He can move up and down the line up and slot into most forward positions.

I also agree about Matthias, not a fan.

However I'll take it one step further, and a lot of people won't agree with this: I think Richardson should be next on the chopping block, not because he hasn't been good, he has, which also means his trade value is at a high water mark.

It seems that he is in the slot Bo is contending for this year, if Bo stays, I would like it to be at Richardson's expense. Plus Dorsett was not acquired to sit in the press box. I expect him to help shape our identity this year and make us a an irritating team to play against, which is why I think he was acquired.

I quite like your line up, I just move Bo to center and put Dorsett on the wing. I also probably let Jensen start the season in the "A" and put Hansen back on 3rd line wing.

I also wonder if, Considering Richardson's strong season last year, and Jensen's play this pre season, if the two can be packaged for either a decent draft pick this year, or a strong D prospect.

Anyway, I'm rambling...the end.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Jensen

Higgins Horvat Kassian

Matthias Richardson Hansen

Dorsett/Sestito

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Stanton Sbisa

Weber

Miller

Lack

Vey and Shinkaruk go to Utica. A trade will be made later in the season.. Benning will play it safe and not rush IMO..

Markstrom gets waived.. hope he clears

you do realize the reason the kings traded Vey is he is waiver eligible right? he can't be sent down. since they waived markstrom and based on what benning has sais it sounds like they are going to keep 14 forwards up and see where the pieces fall. No need to start trading our older guys and losing the depth we finally have. I think Bo is a lock for at least 9 games, same with shink. if they dont end up being ready then send them back to there respective clubs and go with the vets. if they continue to produce then at that popint Benning can target teams who have had early season injuries and maybe get a decent return on guy's like hanson brad or mathias. If you ask me mathias and hanson are our most redundant players if moves need to be made i'd hope it's one or both of them. Y do people wan't to trade higgie is beyond me. great contract can play on any line in a pinch had 17 goals playing with kesler for god sake lol. I still think hanson if he get's moved ends up on the jets

Not going to hear any Burrows hate from me. That guy will bring 100% of whatever he has and helps set the standard for the young guys.

He can move up and down the line up and slot into most forward positions.

I also agree about Matthias, not a fan.

However I'll take it one step further, and a lot of people won't agree with this: I think Richardson should be next on the chopping block, not because he hasn't been good, he has, which also means his trade value is at a high water mark.

It seems that he is in the slot Bo is contending for this year, if Bo stays, I would like it to be at Richardson's expense. Plus Dorsett was not acquired to sit in the press box. I expect him to help shape our identity this year and make us a an irritating team to play against, which is why I think he was acquired.

I quite like your line up, I just move Bo to center and put Dorsett on the wing. I also probably let Jensen start the season in the "A" and put Hansen back on 3rd line wing.

I also wonder if, Considering Richardson's strong season last year, and Jensen's play this pre season, if the two can be packaged for either a decent draft pick this year, or a strong D prospect.

Anyway, I'm rambling...the end.

Disagree about trading Richardson. He doesn't haven't great offensive potential, but he is one of the better 4th line centres we can ask for.

I don't think starting rookies on the 4th line is a great idea, because all that will do is hurt Bo's confidence since his wingers won't be able to do much.

As someone said before, The fact that shinkaruk is ahl eligible while being waiver exempt hurts his nhl chances.

Yup. This bigtime.

Shinkaruk will more than likely start in the AHL. Will be good for his development overall and round out his game. I reckon he won't be in the AHL for too long though.

If we trade away one of our vets to accomodate, only to find out Hunter actually needs more time developing in the minors, then what?...

Yup. This bigtime.

Shinkaruk will more than likely start in the AHL. Will be good for his development overall and round out his game. I reckon he won't be in the AHL for too long though.

If we trade away one of our vets to accomodate, only to find out Hunter actually needs more time developing in the minors, then what?...

IMO even though he COULD play in the NHL right now, may not necessarily be the BEST move for his development.

Disagree about trading Richardson. He doesn't haven't great offensive potential, but he is one of the better 4th line centres we can ask for.

I don't think starting rookies on the 4th line is a great idea, because all that will do is hurt Bo's confidence since his wingers won't be able to do much.

A good point,

Yes It does work in reverse as well

lolol yall keep saying hansen is gonna get demoted. the guy has done so many things for us. You guys dont appreciate the little things that he does . i would say its higgins that gets traded because of his contract and if were gonna replace higgins it is shinkarul cuz u replace a sniper wirh a sniper. but hansen is one of our good players. hes fast he hits he can snipe he can block shots he can play defense. plus. Sestito and dorsett will be rotating for scratches. so that opens up a spot. now

Richardson might be injured right now, so that opens up a spot. Waiving Markstrom opens up another spot. How about putting Sestito on waivers, if he clears good, then he can play in the AHL, we have a tough cookie in Dorsett who can chip in offensively. That is a few spots right there. The next few games will tell.

Archived