The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who would have to get demoted to keep Shinkaruk in the NHL

Nuxin07

Ok... get this straight guys. We're NOT trading Burrows. At least, not right now while his stock is really low. Even if he starts playing like the Burrows of before, he still has a full NTC he'd have to waive, and apparently he's never been asked to do so.

Also, I'm not convinced Burrows is no longer a 2nd line player. I think he is. Nor is he unskilled or slow.

Hansen isn't slow either, but looked like the odd man out months ago. However, he too has a modified NTC he'd have to waive.

just because burr hasn't been asked to waive yet, doesn't mean he won't be asked to in the future if management has a trade in mind.

as for hansen's modified NTC, i believe if the team wants to trade him he has to give a list of 5 teams that he'd be willing to go to. he doesn't have the right to flat out refuse to be traded.

sending him down, after back to back years of being the best player at camp, could really hurt his development. It sends the wrong message. Same goes with Bo. You may have a situation where Dorsett or someone gets traded or something. This will test JB early in his tenure as Canucks GM

Same could be said for Jensen too. All 3 can be on this team. First 3 games are Flames-Oilers-Oilers. Those are big early points if we're going to make it. Are we gonna take a gamble on kid lines?

For me it's a win/win to go to the kids. Either it pays off and we're a small but quick skilled team with a mix of vets and exuberant kids that score goals from all 4 lines, or the kids aren't quite ready for the NHL and we get a shot to add a superstar.

No ones watching anyhow.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Shinkaruk Bonino Vrbata

Burrows Horvat Vey

Higgins Richardson Hansen

Sestitio

Trade Dorsett, Matthias

Interesting article arguing for why the 2nd line might be a better fit for Vrbata:

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/9/24/offseason-transactions-deep-dive-free-agent-frenzy-signings
Read the Vrbata section

TBH, i wouldnt be surprised if we see Vey up front. He's a very similar player to burrows and santo, and we know that type of player fits with the twins. Santo surprised us all and made the jump before his injury, i think Vey could potentially do the same! But he hasn't proved anything yet so that's why I have him at 3RW.

Trading Burrows is easily one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. His puck retrieval skills are invaluable to goal scoring, he cycles with the best of them plus he's a PK wizard.

Also, for those suggesting Kass is doing poorly, he's been consistently playing his off wing. Willie is trying to find out who he can move about the lineup and so he's played multiple guys in odd position.

As for making room for new guys, we're going to have injuries. That's when we're going to be happy to have the kids jump in and contribute. Whether Horvat stays is the only real decision WD and JB need to make early on.

My ideal lineup for the season:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Shinkaruk-Bonino-Burrows

Higgins-Vey-Kassian

Matthias-Richardson-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Stanton

Miller-

Lack

I really think they need to make room for Shink, the man is easily the most exciting player to watch at the moment. His energy gets me pumped up and he also seems to be mature beyond his years. His size is a non-issue as he plays gritty and uses his speed to excel.

Really like this lineup! I'd love to see Horvat on the team, but really don't know who he could replace on here!

If you trade someone to make room for him, you would need to get at the very least, an AHL level prospect who is capable of playing in the NHL to maintain the depth necessary to handle injury replacements.

People getting ahead of themselves after a couple of pre-season games. Can these youngsters withstand 82 games against men in the best league in the world? In the best conferance? If the team hits the injury bug, who are the replacements?

I still think it's better to have Jensen/Shinks/Gaunce/etc cooking in Utica and calling them up as needed. It's a long season and there's no need to push them to play 82 games. It also give JB time to assess the vets and find solid trades if he thinks a rookie is good enough to be slotted in. The value of having a great farm team is underestimated around here.

Horvat is a different matter. The management has to determine what is better for his development; staying with the team or heading back to London.

Next season is the season of youth. Be patient.

We will see lots of action from the rookies during the season and there's a very good chance a couple of them will make the team by trade deadline. That's the time to trade the other players.

...and Burrows may well be asked to waive the clause. But that will only happen after a) He continues to play poorly and management has no choice but to give up on him, or B) He plays alright, but we have a player like Shink who is totally ripping it up, and we would be better off promoting him, and losing Burrows' salary. But I just don't see him being traded right now; the return would be far too low to make it worthwhile, when he has the potential to bounce back and be a solid 2nd line contributor.

And I believe you're right about Hansen's NTC - though it would be foolish to believe it doesn't play a factor on the potential return for him. He's still a good player and on teams without depth certainly a 3rd line player. But if there are only 5 teams that are even in play, one would imagine only one or two of them would really want Hansen based on their rosters. That doesn't provide Benning with much leverage.

just because burr hasn't been asked to waive yet, doesn't mean he won't be asked to in the future if management has a trade in mind.

as for hansen's modified NTC, i believe if the team wants to trade him he has to give a list of 5 teams that he'd be willing to go to. he doesn't have the right to flat out refuse to be traded.

At the moment, there are better options on the 3rd line than Hansen. And having Hansen demoted on the 4th line with a 2.5 cap hit is a waste of money. Same can be said with Burrows. If he isn't producing at a 2nd line pace his 4.5 cap hit is better spent elsewhere. We just bought out Booth for the same reason.

The rookies are making a good case for themselves this year and still likely get sent back but the real question is what happens next year. When you add another year of development under them and they are even more NHL ready than they are now. Currently Burrows has 3 more years at 4.5 and Hansen has 4 more at 2.5. Are we really expecting them to be worth their value without any prospects overtaking their roster spot for the duration of their contract. Wouldn’t it be smart to trade them this year (at some point before the start of next season) while they still hold value in their respective roles and we can at least a decent return.

Hansen looked slow last night and could not score or even shoot properly; I think he may be the most likely cut if we are going to cut a vet.

Horvat is playing better each game, if he continues to improve, it may be inappropriate to send him back to junior, but he's not quite NHL-ready yet and will be a tough decision - probably get all 9 NHL games in before the decision is made.

Jensen is not ready and will be sent to Utica, much to his frustration.

Kassian is playing as if he has already made the team and, he has; we cannot afford to lose him or Sestito (who has more hockey talent than most of CDC give him credit for).

If Shinkaruk continues to put up points and play responsibly defensively, he will force management's hand - they said they would make room and Shink is bringin' it!

It is still preseason though so Hunter will have to continue scoring to keep his spot on the roster.

Bottom line, I think it will come down to Horvat and/or Shinkaruk making the team with Hansen becoming the odd man out.

Hansen, Richardson, Matthias, in that order (IMO) unless a super offer for Higgins, Burr, et cetera comes in.

Markstrom and Lack are locked in a battle because we stand to lose Markstrom if we try to send him down; he will "only" have to show he is as good as Lack whereas Lack has to continue to show that he is better than Markstrom.

So I think Markstrom will be on the block unless he is much improved.

Markstrom, Hansen, + to ?? for ???

Personally, I don't think there are as many untouchables on this team as everyone thinks.

Richardson, hansen, burrows, higgins, matthias and sestito ....one or two will not be on this team.

Horvat Vey Jensen Shinkaruk or Gaunce... one or two could make this team.

If we moved Burrows and Hansen for picks and prospects right now... not only are we freeing up 7 million dollars.... but we are staging ourselves to be able to use said picks/prospects to bring in a little help around the deadline... or pick up a much needed #1 defenseman.

Much as I hate to say it, Burrows might be the man on the move if he can't regain his offensive touch. It's very early, new systems, new linemates, all of these things are granted. But if you go off of a hard and fast rule, that 1mil = 10 points, he'll need to go 20g-25a to reach that benchmark. It's not out of the question, but he really needs to regain that swagger. He does other things without the puck very well, and I've always been a huge supporter of his. However, 4.5mil in my mind requires putting up solid, consistent offensive numbers. A good shutdown winger is worth 2-3mil tops (which Hansen gets), and any points they score is a bonus.

Never thought I'd see the day where I would be okay with dealing Burrows but I think that day has come. Have to get my jersey name and number changed if that happens I guess.

Much as I hate to say it, Burrows might be the man on the move if he can't regain his offensive touch. It's very early, new systems, new linemates, all of these things are granted. But if you go off of a hard and fast rule, that 1mil = 10 points, he'll need to go 20g-25a to reach that benchmark. It's not out of the question, but he really needs to regain that swagger. He does other things without the puck very well, and I've always been a huge supporter of his. However, 4.5mil in my mind requires putting up solid, consistent offensive numbers. A good shutdown winger is worth 2-3mil tops (which Hansen gets), and any points they score is a bonus.

Never thought I'd see the day where I would be okay with dealing Burrows but I think that day has come. Have to get my jersey name and number changed if that happens I guess.

Exactly 4.5mil or less is what Johansen is likely going to get the next couple years and Johansen is already better than Burrows. it wouldn't be bad if he was making 2-3 but he's getting paid to produce as a second line player. I have a hard time seeing Burrows crack 45 points without playing with the twins. Very similar situation to booth, both have useful skills just not at the price tag the were getting paid.

I also think every year we hold on to him the lower his value will get. He's already 33 turning 34 this year. Teams will want to get him while they think he still has some juice left in the tank. If we don't trade him over the next year we stand to have him playing a 3rd line role with the 4.5 cap hit until he's 36 when he's a UFA and we get nothing in return for him

Archived