The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shots fired on Parliament Hill, soldier shot at National War Memorial

Heretic

really? iraq and afghanistan were becoming too powerful for us? lol

did they take other countries land?

please...don't make comparisons that are completely invalid...go back to fox news

It's funny because I'm not even a conservative, and hate fox news with a passion. I'm just saying WW2 had no altrusitic reasons and neither did WW1. So we have historically protected our interests overseas. And Iraq did invade Kuwait in 90's. Plus, one nuke and any benign threat in middle east becomes really dangerous.

It's funny because I'm not even a conservative, and hate fox news with a passion. I'm just saying WW2 had no altrusitic reasons and neither did WW1. So we have historically protected our interests overseas. And Iraq did invade Kuwait in 90's. Plus, one nuke and any benign threat in middle east becomes really dangerous.

Lol...umm last time i checked it was PROVEN that iraq didn't have WMD's, and its 2014 not 1990's friend...

Economics always play a role in wars no doubt but ww2 was also clealry an issue of international law...the middle east has been nothing but the breaking of international law by the west..

it doesnt mean i think the radicalism is justified, i am anti war of any sort and anti killing..but to ignore that which we have brought upon ourselves from our actions is stupid....

the middle eastern fanatics would not have the support they have if the west wasn't so keen on destroying their homes/lives etc...in the name of 'freedom' lol...

its funny how even many political experts have stated the world would have been safer had the us simply allowed Saddam to stay in power, as he had control of these different pockets of fanatics..by stirring that pot, the west kicked the hornets nest..then continued kicking to the point where moderates are being converted to radicalism...

that is the point....as i said violence begets violence...the only way to stop violence is by not starting it

UPDATED

• 1 shooter dead, 1 still believed at large in downtown Ottawa.
  • Police searching cars leaving Ottawa trying to go to Quebec.
  • Report of additional shots fired near Chateau Laurier Hotel, east of Parliament Hill.
  • Police going door to door in downtown core; downtown schools in lockdown.
  • All three main party leaders, Harper, Mulcair and Trudeau, reported safe.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/parliament-hill-attack-1-gunman-dead-after-soldier-shot-at-national-war-memorial-1.2808710

TOM.. are the bullets American? Russian or Chinese might be making the most profit from them.

The Russians were already supplying the Syrian government, as their only naval base outside the former Soviet Union is in Syria. The US armed some 'moderate' rebels there during the Syrian civil war through Turkey, and several weeks later we have ISIS. Whoops. It's like the cold war all over again, where the only losers are the local civilians and the only winners are arms dealers.

Meanwhile, the gunman this morning apparently didn't have anything political or religious or even foreign to say. Just "Hey!" and then started shooting. Of course, he's yet to be identified.

Again I don't doubt this, but is it the same level as Nazi Germany no...

True, not yet anyways...maybe because we are involved at an early stage? I have no idea but it is similar...I guess I'm just frustrated that the human race is so, stupid?

Read more history. War by definition cannot be altruistic, but WW2 had quite specific altruistic reasons and causes.

She is in Toronto, the event has been cancelled due to the events occurring in Ottawa.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/malala-yousafzai-s-honorary-canadian-citizenship-ceremony-cancelled-pmo-1.2065149

I doubt she had anything to do with the events here. She rose up against the Taliban, the attacks this week if they weren't simply home grown terrorism, would have been ISIS driven.

True, not yet anyways...maybe because we are involved at an early stage? I have no idea but it is similar...I guess I'm just frustrated that the human race is so, stupid?

agreed...quite sad that we as a race haven't realized by now we are all the same...that skin color, religion, nationality etc are not to be divisive...but then the power hungry want to use it as such...

funny how we think we are so different but our dna says we are the same

Lol...umm last time i checked it was PROVEN that iraq didn't have WMD's, and its 2014 not 1990's friend...

Economics always play a role in wars no doubt but ww2 was also clealry an issue of international law...the middle east has been nothing but the breaking of international law by the west..

it doesnt mean i think the radicalism is justified, i am anti war of any sort and anti killing..but to ignore that which we have brought upon ourselves from our actions is stupid....

the middle eastern fanatics would not have the support they have if the west wasn't so keen on destroying their homes/lives etc...in the name of 'freedom' lol...

its funny how even many political experts have stated the world would have been safer had the us simply allowed Saddam to stay in power, as he had control of these different pockets of fanatics..by stirring that pot, the west kicked the hornets nest..then continued kicking to the point where moderates are being converted to radicalism...

that is the point....as i said violence begets violence...the only way to stop violence is by not starting it

Never said they did. You're just putting words in my mouth. I'm saying you cannot so easily say whether something is or is not a serious threat in a nuclear age as you could in the past. You cannot go by the number of soldiers, or machine guns etc.

Edit: Middle is more complex than that. It's easy to "blame" the west. Saddam would have eventually lost power; dictators are not in their roles indefinitely, usually. I know we like easy answers but the world is complex.

Read more history. War by definition cannot be altruistic, but WW2 had quite specific altruistic reasons and causes.

WW2 did not begin as an altruistic war. We were extremely racist at the time, but we just happened to be fighting, as we learned later, someone much worse. We did not know about holocaust until we got into Europe. We just happened to be proven right later.

It was not, as some would have you believe, about protecting minorities. This is how bad we used to be:

Archived