The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shots fired on Parliament Hill, soldier shot at National War Memorial

Heretic

It really got me in the throat when they showed them giving him CPR. Gut wrenching and it makes it real.

I spent 2 years going to Carleton University and am quite familiar with the area, absolutely heart wrenching and scary as I know people who work in the area

Bottom line,

regardless of this being an:

Isolated attack

Religiously motivated

Politically motivated

Mental instability (conforms to all reasons why this would happen)

A man protecting our country was shot. We are now going to enter that ridiculous climate of fear, and the 92 people on the RCMPs potentially radicalized watch list are probably going to be rounded up.

Canada will never be the same after the last 3 days

That's up to us, really. Americanized fear tactics and sensationalized propaganda never did them any good, did it.

We're Canadian. That means being different from Americans.

That's up to us, really. Americanized fear tactics and sensationalized propaganda never did them any good, did it.

We're Canadian. That means being different from Americans.

We don't have the leadership strong enough to distinguish us from that. Yesterday marked canada's first full terror alert.

Be ready to see a ton of $$ funneled into screenings, security and the like.

I lived in California and Nevada working for a few years, my fave was stopping on the golden gate twice a day to have my car checked for bombs when homeland security raised their threat level to high or extreme

Lol at everyone who thinks that if Canada stood to the side then our country wouldn't be attacked. Terrorists have been trying to attack Canada for years now. If this is a terrorist attack then Canada is in it for the long haul. No more standing in the shadows letting other countries deal with this situation.

From the few far shots that we have been able to peak at, the dead gunman doesn't even look Arabic.

(I could be wrong, but I doubt it)

Bottom line,

regardless of this being an:

Isolated attack

Religiously motivated

Politically motivated

Mental instability (conforms to all reasons why this would happen)

A man protecting our country was shot. We are now going to enter that ridiculous climate of fear, and the 92 people on the RCMPs potentially radicalized watch list are probably going to be rounded up.

Canada will never be the same after the last 3 days

I won't be counted in that. In the coming days I really want to see how Harper responds to this. He needs to control that fear in the public quickly. Hopefully we can harness that "keep calm" attitude of the Brits during WW2.

Warhippy get a grip.. Canada hasn't been the same since 911 in fact the whole free wold hasn't. It was just a matter of time for an incident like this happened.

Really? Remind me again when in Canada's history we have been at threat from direct terrorist threat of attack. Remind me again when we worried about homegrown radicalized religious zealots. Remind me again when we joined a US led NATO force to attack countries across the world that have nothing at all to do with the Atlantic and are by and large landlocked countries.

It was not a "matter of time" it was something that happened via direct involvement in affairs not our own.

Again, if you cannot see how sticking our noses into affairs not our own could have motivated people to want to attack our once peaceful country you're frigging nuts.

I won't be counted in that. In the coming days I really want to see how Harper responds to this. He needs to control that fear in the public quickly. Hopefully we can harness that "keep calm" attitude of the Brits during WW2.

Here's to hoping.

But with SUN, FOX CNN jumping so hard on this, it's sadly unlikely.

I am absolutely terrified by this news.

not because there is a random terrorist event really, But how Harper and company are going to exploit this to the average Canadians' detriment

people need to be far more fearful of the government response/exploitation of this incident then some random crazy terrorist/jihadi/shooter

be prepared to lose more and more rights/liberties to the police state.

From the few far shots that we have been able to peak at, the dead gunman doesn't even look Arabic.

(I could be wrong, but I doubt it)

Being Arabic is not the same as being a radical Muslim. I believe the events Monday were from a french Canadian, were they not? But still a man with radical Muslim leanings.

Call it for what it is, terrorism. We can each assume the motivations behind it, but in the end, it is terrorism. It's not the actions of a guy wanting to talk about his problems, that's for sure.

Really? Remind me again when in Canada's history we have been at threat from direct terrorist threat of attack. Remind me again when we worried about homegrown radicalized religious zealots. Remind me again when we joined a US led NATO force to attack countries across the world that have nothing at all to do with the Atlantic and are by and large landlocked countries.

It was not a "matter of time" it was something that happened via direct involvement in affairs not our own.

Again, if you cannot see how sticking our noses into affairs not our own could have motivated people to want to attack our once peaceful country you're frigging nuts.

So...are you saying we should let those that can't defend themselves just die and not help them at all?

Joffrey Lupul just tweeted:

@JLupul: Surreal scene outside of our hotel right now. Lot of very brave police officers we should all be very proud of.

The Leafs hotel is right in the middle of this and they are in total lockdown!

The Leafs Sens game tonight may get cancelled

Roy MacGregor@RoyMacG 1h1 hour ago

Senators-leafs may be cancelled. Coach Paul MacLean says decision would be NHL's. Leafs in lock-down hotel downtown.

Chris Stevenson@CJ_Stevenson 16m16 minutes ago

#senators president Cyril Leeder said he will get another update from Ottawa police in about 20 minutes. Decision on game in mid-afternoon.

So...are you saying we should let those that can't defend themselves just die and not help them at all?

I as a Canadian taxpayer do not want a single cent of my taxes being spent on more bombs exporting "freedom and democracy" to the middle east or wherever.

I am sick and tired of seeing idiot politicians start wars that only make things worse, and line the pockets of weapons companies/ oil companies/ and other parasites..... While we the taxpayer pay with our cash, and the poor soldier pays with his/her blood.

how is freedom working right now for Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Syria etcetc....???

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree... STOP GETTING INVOLVED IN MIDDLE EASTERN CONFLICTS

Warhippy..911 911 911. god you just don't get it.

Ice 1234, knick knack paddy whack...

9/11 has nothing to do with todays events. We went 13 full years with barely a whisper of a threat. Even during our involvement in Afghanistan. Start interfering in Iraq vocally and physically and now it's on.

Again, and please do keep up.

Nobody, not even myself has stated this IS an attack from religious zealots. But it is hard to ignore the signs over the last 3 days that point to its possibility

Archived