The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2 on 0 or penalty shot?

250Integra

Sedins 2 on 0, the goalie is better taking the net off like that guy!

Absolutely not. A smart goalie would skate out of his net to body check Daniel, because Henrik would STILL try to pass it to him with an open net.

Cheap (but smart) play by the goalie. I think the rules should be amended so it's an automatic goal. Very unsportsmanlike.

Nope ... if a team won the Cup on a play like that, I'd put an asterisk beside the win ... wouldn't be proud of that at all.

That was a Peewee league move.

By your "logic" you'd also be upset if any of the following happened:

• Lucic decides to try to force Miller to fight and Sestito leaves the bench to protect our goalie, taking the 10 game suspension.
  • Perry has a tap in right in front of our net and Bieksa hauls him down, choosing to take the penalty rather than the sure goal.
  • We're chasing the puck around in our own zone and Higgins ices it to relieve the pressure, preferring the inability to change over the continued pressure
  • Higgins lines up for the ensuing faceoff and gets kicked out intentionally, buying time for our guys to catch their breath.

In all these cases, we're choosing to accept the penalty prescribed by the rule book because it's less dangerous than doing nothing. What makes this situation so much worse according to you?

Copout. As a goalie your job is to step up in the big moments

Lul hwhat?

As a goalie your job is to prevent goals and give your team the best chance to win.

You are the only person I have ever seen expect a goalie to defend 2 uncovered skaters while blocking off the entire net xD His team put him in a near impossible to defend situation (pending the skaters simply mishandling) he realized this and played the numbers giving them a shootout attempt which most goalies possess the over .500 advantage in.

I'm still baffled you would criticize a goalie for keeping the puck out of the net xD

Archived