The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van-Nash

What do you guys think of:

Van: Alex Burrows, Zack Kassian, Hunter Shinkaruk, 2015 1st

Nash: Shea Weber, 2015 5th

Weber's still only 29, and should still be effective for at least 5 more years. Nashville gets two top six players now, + shinkaruk and a first for the future. Team looks like:

Sedins-Vrbata

Higgins-Bones-Vey

Matthais-Richardson-Hansen

Dorsett-Horvat-Jensen

Sestito

Hamhuis-S. Weber

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Bieksa

Stanton

I think we're fleecing the Preds lol. The predators will want more to build with offensively than Burrows and Kassian, and while Shink looks exciting, he is only a late first rounder. So unless they are really high on Kassian and Shink, they'll probably say no, although it does meet some of their needs.

This offer is much better than most encountered on this site, as you actually gave up valuable assets.

True. I was thinking the same way, but I kind of figured that this was a good way to test the waters. What if we took out Shink and the first and gave Virtanen and a 2015 3rd? Maybe even 2nd?

They might prefer Shink and the 1st, but it's tough to say what the preds really want lol. Burrows (cap reasons, but still holds value), Kassian, Shink, 1st, and another prospect. They are doing really well now, and probably wouldn't consider trading him.

how about jensen higgins tanev 1st

next yr sedin sedin vrbata

kassian bonino virtanen

shinkaruk horvat mattias

kenins gaunce dorsett

edler weber

hamhuis bieska

stanton sbisa

How about that's not even close? We unfortunately don't have/can't afford to give up the pieces needed to get Weber IMO.

Not a chance they would accept any of those offers. Dont forget, the Philly offer-sheet would've given Nashville 4 first rounders. not a chance they would trade him now unless it was for something big/ or if Weber wanted out. Matthias Ekholm would be a great guy to target though, i really like his game, plus adds some youth to our D. James Neal would be awesome for our second line but i dont think the preds would want to part with him quite yet.

I think we get bent the hell over a barrel giving up one of our best and most versatile top 9 players, one of our only true power forward players with a rare amount of passing ability to go with that size, our ONLY truly offensive prospect and a 1st this year which as we saw last year could look like a 20-30 pick but as easily could be 6th or better.

And in return we get...Shea Weber and his massive enormous contract of which even after trading all of that we wouldn't be able to fit in under our cap.

Going to go with...nope

Not a chance in the world Nashville would do this, the Canucks don't have to go big to fill their D, just a perfect part that blends with the team's offensive/defensive schemes and not making a bigger mess out of the contracts/budget that Gillis left behind...

I think we get bent the hell over a barrel giving up one of our best and most versatile top 9 players, one of our only true power forward players with a rare amount of passing ability to go with that size, our ONLY truly offensive prospect and a 1st this year which as we saw last year could look like a 20-30 pick but as easily could be 6th or better.

And in return we get...Shea Weber and his massive enormous contract of which even after trading all of that we wouldn't be able to fit in under our cap.

Going to go with...nope

He offered Kassian in the proposal. Who are you talking about? This player sounds awesome.

Weber is a great player.

I don't think it makes sense to target trades for players of Weber's stature unless he is actively disgruntled (asking for a trade)-and even then, it can be questionable.

Firstly, there is no chance whatsoever that he'll be undervalued. He's one of the game's premier defencemen, still in his prime.

Secondly, there's no chance whatsoever that Vcr can make a trade for him based on corresponding needs-i.e. Canucks need a #1 defenceman while Nashville has another, greater need the Canucks can fill. The offers suggested don't fill a need greater than Weber, and frankly every team 'needs' a defenceman like Weber.

Thirdly, unless the player has been taking a hometown discount, there's no way you can get a player of this stature and experience at a salary that is favourable for the team. He'll command, and have received, the moon.

Fourthly, you're not going to get future improvement from a 29 year old all star. There's always the offchance that he'll be the very rare player like Chris Chelios and carry on for years, but generally speaking, 29 year old all stars will start to slowly lose effectiveness fairly soon. The OP mentioned that in 5 years he should still be effective-and if he stays healthy I'd agree with that-but it's very unlikely he'll still be as effective as he has been.

Fifthly, almost everyone would be interested in him-it isn't as if he's worth more to the Canucks than to most of the rest of the league.

Sixthly, there's no reason to think the Preds want to move him.

The upshot of all this is that the team acquiring a play of this magnitude pretty much certainly will overpay.

As for Weber in particular, he was available for nothing more than his salary in 2012, and signed for 14 years at a cap hit of almost $8 million a year through 2026. That's another 12 years. His salary will decline over the years from $14 million a year now to $1 million starting in 2023, but the cap hit of almost $8 million will continue.

The players and pick the OP suggested might be fair, but wouldn't be enough to outbid all the others that would love to have Weber-and I can't see wanting to give up more than the OP suggested for the privilege of having $8 million in cap space Canucks can't use for several years.

Trade for Roman Josi instead, the guys a stud and it's more realistic to acquire him then Weber.

Kassian + 2nd + Corrado for Josi. I think Nashville would be intrigued by this as they get a young promising forward in Kassian, a pick and a defense-men in Corrado and there defense is still stacked with Weber, Jones, Elkholm, Ellis, Volchenkov. Target Vermette at the deadline for a playoff run, the guy is excellent in the face-offs and had a great playoffs for the Yotes in 2011 - 2012.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Matthias - Vermette - Richardson

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

ex Vey

Tanev - Edler

Hamhuis - Josi

Bieksa - Sbisa

Ex Stanton

Miller

Lack

Trade for Roman Josi instead, the guys a stud and it's more realistic to acquire him then Weber.

Kassian + 2nd + Corrado for Josi. I think Nashville would be intrigued by this as they get a young promising forward in Kassian, a pick and a defense-men in Corrado and there defense is still stacked with Weber, Jones, Elkholm, Ellis, Volchenkov. Target Vermette at the deadline for a playoff run, the guy is excellent in the face-offs and had a great playoffs for the Yotes in 2011 - 2012.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Matthias - Vermette - Richardson

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

ex Vey

Tanev - Edler

Hamhuis - Josi

Bieksa - Sbisa

Ex Stanton

Miller

Lack

Exactly. Why the overpayment?

While we pick up a promising young D man...we give up basically our only RW PWF with snarl as Jensen is soft as a babies butt.

The truth is, there's more than a few other teams that will offload prospects or picks or even surplus D men closer to the deadline and we won't have to overpay for any of them as it will be need for need and we have a solid surplus of 2/3 line tweeners to make that happen without giving up any of our burgeoning youngsters.

Exactly. Why the overpayment?

While we pick up a promising young D man...we give up basically our only RW PWF with snarl as Jensen is soft as a babies butt.

The truth is, there's more than a few other teams that will offload prospects or picks or even surplus D men closer to the deadline and we won't have to overpay for any of them as it will be need for need and we have a solid surplus of 2/3 line tweeners to make that happen without giving up any of our burgeoning youngsters.

Yeh you make a good point, but I would much rather have a guy like Josi. The guy is a beast IMO, very underrated and is on a very good contract.

Yeh you make a good point, but I would much rather have a guy like Josi. The guy is a beast IMO, very underrated and is on a very good contract.

No argument at all. But I think for that price we could target Gormley and Larsson and if not come up with both, at least come up with one and still hold on to something for the effort

Archived