The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greatest Hockey Player Ever?

Who is the best  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Exactly imagine if he played even 1 more healthy season he'd have been over a thousand points easily let alone if he'd lasted as long as Lidström.

Then there's his career +597 second only to Larry Robinson's +730

Orr was simply the greatest defenseman to ever play the game not only was he deadly offensively he was very good in his own zone. Interesting to note his PPG average was almost identical to Bossy's

I think Orr belongs at the top because he was a more complete player that Mario or Gretzky. Gretzky had the best vision and hockey sense, Mario was the most highly skilled, but Orr dominated BOTH ends of the rink, Gretzky usually wasn't even on the ice when the face off was in his own end. Orr could be put out without hesetation in any situation, power play, short handed, protecting a lead, pushing for the tying goal. If I was behind by a goal late, Mario or Gretzky get a slight edge, but Orr was also a no brainer to be out when ahead by a goal late, I wouldn't want to count on Mario or Gretzky to protect a lead.

Tough call for me, ultimately I guess Gretz is pretty hard to argue with, but at the same time, to look at what Lemiuex did with less then a thousand games played, and with a less dominant supporting cast of players around him was pretty darn amazing. But I guess it could be argued that those who played with Gretzky also benefited from his greatness. At the same time, to look at what Orr did, the points he put up and to think he was a defenseman in an era where defenseman werent at all known for being any bit offensive, couple with his crazy natural ability to skate like no other really makes this a tough call. I voted Lemieux, because personally he was the most exciting player I have ever seen live or on TV. Had I been alive when Orr played maybe he would have swung me that way.

I think of it this way. If you put 5 orrs against 5 gretzkys who would win.......and so on with the other players mentioned.

I always thought gretz was the best until i saw an extensive video of orr.

5 orrs against 5 gretzkys and gretzky would never catch him nor could he deal with his muscle. If gretz had the puck i believe orr would be able to take it away from him

Therefore i pick orr.

Orr gretz lemiex

Consensus seems to be Wayne, Mario, or Bobby. I'll go off the board with a goalie and say Dominik Hasek.

Yeah i could say a goalie as well, put it this way,

It's game 7 of the stanley cup finals. You can chose to have one of the listed players on your roster, who do you take?

If you think of it that way it opens up the possibility of a bunch of other players entering the conversation.

Hasek or Roy would be two goalies I wouldn't mind having that game.

Roy has 3 Conn Smyhe trophies

Archived