The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan pipeline activity and protests

Butcher

I came here for the first time in a year to discuss the protests and today's court rulings. I see no thread on this. I find it heard to believe that this is not a hot topic of discussion here, as it is big news and certainly highly relevant to people living in BC. Perplexed. Mods please explain.

The mods aren't responsible for news coverage....we moderate the forums.

So you've taken the initiative and made a thread, which is what should happen if you feel there is a topic worthy of discussion that is not being covered.

Personally, I have been quite involved in monitoring the situation and have friends up there on the mountain. Some documenting the event, others involved in the protest. The injunction mapped out clear guidelines and KM and police failed miserably in adhering to that. I am on the side of the protestors and do not support this work. Am happy that there was no extension granted and that the cases have been thrown out due to the (likely deliberate) error.

I feel this way: if they can't even stay within the guidelines or apply the mapping correctly is that not a concern that they could have a "miss" during work on the project as well? That they have a sense of entitlement to do what they want, despite having restrictions in place? A pipeline "miss" is far too costly to the environment as well as taxpayers (who will likely foot the bill should a problem arise) so perhaps they should learn to read the maps before they actually get going?

I am deeply concerned that the voices of municipal and local leaders are being ignored and that the people have no say in what happens in their community. I applaud the Mayor who has been vocal in his support of protestors and is not happy that police are basically acting as security for a foreign private corporation. I do not feel that taxpayer dollars allotted to policing should include the cost of having a whole bunch of officers standing "on guard" for this company.

So I'd be up there with them if it wasn't for pneumonia in the household. :)

I am deeply concerned that the voices of municipal and local leaders are being ignored and that the people have no say in what happens in their community. I applaud the Mayor who has been vocal in his support of protestors and is not happy that police are basically acting as security for a foreign private corporation. I do not feel that taxpayer dollars allotted to policing should include the cost of having a whole bunch of officers standing "on guard" for this company.

Was gonna write something but this perfectly echos how I feel, so it\s easier to quote & +1 it.

Nimbyism at its best in Burnaby.there already is a pipeline in place and all this is is a doubling of the pipeline.

Thanks Bookie...I actually feel quite strongly about what is happening in relation to how the voice of the people is being stifled and we basically have no power in what happens in the place we call home.

Violator: there is a pipeline in place so we should just "let'er rip"? Expand to triple and then, say 100X the capacity?

I like a glass of wine every now and then, doesn't mean I should ignore any warning signs of becoming a full blown alcoholic and just have at'er. Moderation and balance is key. And, in this day and age, perhaps looking at a "what's in it for us" that weighs out the cons as well as the pros that are shoved down our throats?

This is dirty stuff flowing through these pipelines and it's destined for export....so we're basically a middle man here. Do we want someone in our back yard who cares about $$ and has clearly demonstrated they don't give a rat's behind about the citizens here? I mean, if their way of addressing the people here is via courts at this early assessment stage, how do you think they'll react if there IS a disaster? I'm quite sure they won't care then either.

Actually, they view a possible spill as having some "benefit" to the community, in that it would create jobs in clean up operations???! That's the kind of thinking we have here.

Kinder Morgan says:
“Pipeline spills can have both
positive and negative effects on local
and regional economies, both in the
short and long term. Spill response
and clean-up creates business and
employment opportunities for
affected communities, regions, and
clean-up service providers. This
demand for services and personnel
can also directly or indirectly affect
businesses and resource dependent
livelihoods".

So that's who you want deciding?

I hate the stereotypes. The NIMBY and dirty hippy protestor stuff. FTR, my friend out there on the front lines is a married mother of two - hockey Mom as a matter of fact. Sings bad karaoke and has a full time job. She's out there in any bit of "free" time she may have (which, for a busy Mom, is precious) to protect the future of our land for her children.

David Suzuki....love that he's out there alongside his Grandson.

Yes, in my backyard the first priority is clean air and water. How about you?

Deb Deb Deb all you and your friends are fair weather protesters and so is David Suzuki spending millions of donated dollars to pout and moan only because pipelines are a hot topic and that's the news of the day. When kinder Morgan was first planning this site did you and all your yippy friends probably all drove your vehicles to the protest and will drive back home. Like I said earlier this is nothing new there are literally dozens of pipelines going in and around the lower mainland and this pipeline has been in since 1953 with one accident because of a careless back hoe operator.

edited my grammar

Right now there's about 60 tankers that come through the burrard inlet a year. If the pipeline expands that'll go up to 480+. Say goodbye to the calm kayaking in deep cove and boating in the ocean close to home. There might not be a spill right away but eventually there will be and you can't clean oil! I was up there last Sunday supporting the protesters and it just happened to be the day David Suzuki was up there.Its a longshot but more people need to stand up to Kinder Morgan. It's not worth risking our environment to boost our economy

Deb Deb Deb all you and your friends are are fair weather protesters and so is David Suzuki spending millions of donated dollars to pout and moan only because pipelines are a hot topic and that's the news of the day when kinder Morgan was first planning this site did you and all your yipy friends probably all drove your vehicles to the protest and will drive back home.Like I said earlier this is nothing new there are literally dozens of pipelines going in and around the lowermainland and this pipeline has been in since 1953 with on accident because of a careless back hoe operator.

Without a pipeline, there is no back hoe incident or rupture that spews toxins everywhere.

"Oh well, dumb guy stepped on that land mine"? No.

I honestly don't care WHY it happened, I care that it did (happen). So you continue to dismiss it because somebody was/wasn't to blame - doesn't take away the severity of it or make it any less significant in regard to the impact on the area. Little comfort to the 50 homeowners who had this stuff spewed all over their property. That's a pretty irresponsible stance to take in my view...."oh well, wasn't their (KM's) fault".

It's ok....bury your head in the tar sand. That's fine by me as I don't have to base my thoughts on your (weak) argument and will continue to opt on the side of prevention vs blame after the fact. But as a guy who seems to enjoy the outdoors, be careful what you wish for. It isn't a magical place that is forever because you wish it to be....there are things that pose a threat to Beautiful BC but you just take it for granted as you're doing. The rest of us will make sure it remains intact on your behalf. (Update: I see why you don't care about the Nimbys now...because your backyard is nowhere near here).

I don't expect that someone living in Alberta and extremely concerned about making 4X the amount of money you once did to really have our best interest at heart here.

Posted by Violator on 11 March 2014 - 03:03 PM in Off-Topic General

Thats pretty good money...

photo-thumb-35446.jpg?_r=0 Posted by Violator on 26 March 2014 - 05:10 PM in Canucks Talk

I live in Calgary

Posted by Violator on 26 March 2014 - 05:20 PM in Canucks Talk

I left bc cause.....I am making four times the money

photo-thumb-35446.jpg?_r=0 Posted by Violator on 29 March 2014 - 07:12 PM in Off-Topic General

Cause alberta crude isnt worth as much

photo-thumb-35446.jpg?_r=0 Posted by Violator on 29 March 2014 - 08:12 PM in Off-Topic General

They are loosing more money in delays

Money doesn't drive my actions....I was born and raised here and this place is my home, not just a commodity. But someone in the oil province likely has different ideas, I get that (but don't support it).

Why? Are you some sort of loser? They got attention, they seem to have delayed activity on the mountain, and lots of people are on their side.

I know I'm not a loser but these protesters are. Like do they not have jobs or families to care about? They are unproductive citizens and broke the law. And at the end of day, Kinder Morgan did what they needed to do. These protesters just wasted their time and some got arrested.

While I may not be a fan of pipelines, what's the alternative? Our society is dependent on petroleum and the stuff has to move somewhere somehow. The only other way to move oil in large volumes across land is by rail. I'm sure I know what the residents of Lac Magantic would prefer. With CN derailing another train in Saskatchewan last month, I don't think my faith in oil by rail is very high right now.

I know I'm not a loser but these protesters are. Like do they not have jobs or families to care about? They are unproductive citizens and broke the law. And at the end of day, Kinder Morgan did what they needed to do. These protesters just wasted their time and some got arrested.

Wow seriously?

They most certainly DO have jobs and families, but are capable of even more. For, in having families they are taking a stand against corporations that care only about profit and nothing about decimating the land that they extract their resources from or move them through.

They did not break the law...it was actually all thrown out and, if anything KM broke the law as the injunction had clear boundaries laid out and they failed to stay within them. We're wasting time right now....so is it not ok for others to enjoy the same luxury and use theirs as they please?

This is not BC oil....this is the dirtiest of tar sands crud that is simply being exported out. So why do we have to facilitate that?....so that a US based company can profit? We assume all the risk but there is very little in this for us - the cost is far outweighed by what we give up if there is another "mishap". And, as stated, the tanker traffic will increase significantly as a result (from approximately 8 per day to 34!).

Anyhow, seems they're packing up and leaving early. They got a good taste of what to expect when their actual work begins...people will not go away and are obviously much smarter than those trying to hide behind court injunctions. Make sure you know how to read a map would be my first word of advice. D'oh. :)

I came here for the first time in a year to discuss the protests and today's court rulings. I see no thread on this. I find it heard to believe that this is not a hot topic of discussion here, as it is big news and certainly highly relevant to people living in BC. Perplexed. Mods please explain.

Glad you came back to offer your input.

Archived