The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

French ex-airline boss/Famous French author claims cover-up on MH370

Dazzle

Why do people believe in conspiracy theories?

Conspiracy theories surround us. Witness the reactions on the Internet to the tragic and mysterious disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. Perhaps North Korea hijacked the plane. Perhaps the Chinese are responsible. Maybe aliens did it.

Remarkably, people who accept one conspiracy theory tend to accept another conspiracy theory that is logically inconsistent with it. People who believe that Princess Diana faked her own death are more likely to think that she was murdered. People who believe that Osama bin Laden was already dead when U.S. forces invaded his compound are more likely to believe that he is still alive.

Conspiracists like to say that the truth is out there. They're right. The challenge is to persuade them to find their way toward it.

Do people or factions ever conspire with one another to deceive ...or to harm others? Are these conspiracies, ever exposed or even thwarted? How so? Does it ever take someone being suspicious, or speculating & flushing-out the probabilities & inconsistancies out there, to do this? Then, thank goodness for persons who can un-cover or speculate on the formulation of conspiracy theories, I say.

Speculation is a gift. It aids in anticipating & preparing for all of the possibilities that are before us. Try living comfortably without it. Not all speculations are as supportable as others,..but they can still serve valid purposes.

Let me ask you,.. 50 + years after the JFK assassination.... do you believe everything in the intial US government & CIA reports in concluding or insinuating that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone,...or was there a conspiracy to kill or assasinate the US President? I would argue that with the passage of some time....a myriad of nay-sayers are feeling a lot less certain of their convictions as more evidence mounts against that rather hasty theory. Testimonies of those involved have been both recanted,.. or un-earthed anew. There are old/new revelations of witnesses/persons initially misquoted &/or ignored. Aging officials are less fearful of speaking-out, especially with some un-sealed records, dubiously missing or in need of some clarification . The initial suspicions of some....has now lead to a more exposed & complete truth. Take a poll, now - Budda.

Who's got the bigger grasp on reality....one who is more open to seeing all avenues of possibility & progression... or persons who still think the earth is flat - not round? I'd rather side with those who can expand their minds to the possibilities out there,.. who then go & do the research to satisfy their suspicions, perceptions or theories. Go on & do exactly what I suppose any typical nay-sayer will do, tho! That's belittle, then scoff, and then deflect attention away from the main topic by any means of distraction. Why not just form a line with all of the other lemmings eating everything they're being spoon-fed by mainstream-media, until one runs with the crowd over a cliff in blissful ignorance.

I prefer to seek-out truth,..wherever the journey may take me. I have anchors & associations through-out the world & value other opinions & take them all into account. I have life experiences on different continents within different cultures,... & shake my head at all of those people who think they can know it all...when they choose to be spoon-fed mere pablum? I prefer to dine at the smorgasbord of life....& will always appreciate all of the flavor & textures this experience & knowledge gives to me & others. I have a life & I live it.....by appreciating that 'speculations' & 'conspiracy theories' produce many valid questions to be pondered - that may eventually lead to 'revelations' of fact.

Do people or factions ever conspire with one another to deceive ...or to harm others? Are these conspiracies, ever exposed or even thwarted? How so? Does it ever take someone being suspicious, or speculating & flushing-out the probabilities & inconsistancies out there, to do this? Then, thank goodness for persons who can un-cover or formulate conspiracy theories, I say.

Speculation is a gift. It aids in anticipating & preparing for all of the possibilities before us. Try living comfortably without it. Not all speculations are as supportable as others,..but they still serve valid purposes.

Let me ask you,.. 50 + years after the JFK assassination.... do you believe everything in the intial US government & CIA reports in concluding or insinuating that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone,...or was there a conspiracy to kill or assasinate the US President?

I would argue that with the passage of time....a myriad of nay-sayers are feeling a lot less certain of their convictions as more & more evidence mounts against that hasty theory. Testimonies of those involved have been both recanted or un-earthed anew. There are old/new revelations of witnesses/persons initially misquoted or ignored. Persons are now far less fearful about speaking-out, with records & dubiously insupportable documents unsealed. The initial suspicions of some....have now lead to an more exposed truth. Take a poll, now.

Who has the bigger grasp on reality....one who is open to progression... or people who still think the earth is flat - not round? I'd rather side with those who can expand their minds to the possibilities out there,.. & then do the research to satisfy their suspicions, perceptions or theories. Go on & do exactly what I supposed you would do, tho! Belittle, then scoff, and deflect attention away from the main topic by some effort of distraction. Why not just form a line with the other lemmings eating everything they are being spoon-fed by mainstream-media until they're running over a cliff in blissful ignorance,.

I prefer to seek-out the truth,..wherever this journey may take me. I'm have anchors & associations through-out the world & value their opinions & take them into account, also. I have life experiences on different continents within different cultures & shake my head at all of those people who think they can know it all...when they only choose to be spoon-fed mere pablum? I prefer to dine at the smorgasbord of life....will always appreciate all of the flavor & textures that this experience & knowledge gives me.

There is quite a bit of information out there about conspiracy theorists due to more researchers doing studies on people who believe in conspiracy theories. All that article did was present some of that information and point out the reasons why some people are more prone to believe in them.

One descriptor of conspiracy theorists that strikes me as accurate is the fact the they " prefer socio political explanations over the insecurity of encountering random , unpredictable , or otherwise inexplicable events".

They kinda remind me of people who used to attribute any event that could not be explained to the actions of a supposed god.

Just because I do not believe what you do does not mean i am trying to belittle you.

Conspiracy theories should be treated like any good piece of literature - entertainment and at best, with a disclaimer that says "based on true events".

The biggest problem I have against conspiracy theories being true is it requires one to believe that people are malicious as opposed to incompetent. In my experience, people can be selfish and down right jerks, but generally are just mostly retarded and not deliberately mean.

In today's day and age we can't find a freaking plane!? I don't believe that bs

A plane in the middle of the freaking Ocean - seriously, sometimes I can't even find my keys in my bedroom... now if they lost something like say an Island...

Conspiracy theories should be treated like any good piece of literature - entertainment and at best, with a disclaimer that says "based on true events".

The biggest problem I have against conspiracy theories being true is it requires one to believe that people are malicious as opposed to incompetent. In my experience, people can be selfish and down right jerks, but generally are just mostly retarded and not deliberately mean.

A plane in the middle of the freaking Ocean - seriously, sometimes I can't even find my keys in my bedroom... now if they lost something like say an Island...

Right on brother , had a sad , wry chuckle at that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447

People thought this was suspicious, it was a bomb, etc.

What went wrong? The tubes that detect airspeed filled with ice crystals. This cut the autopilot. The Pilots took control. The crew responded incorrectly to try and gain altitude in a storm, and wound up stalling the plane because they nosed up. The plane plummeted like a rock and hit the Atlantic Ocean.

Both the pilot and co-pilot ignored the stall warning instead of simply nosing down the plane.

As Hal 9000 would say:

ok so what's your explanation?

A plane disappeared off the face of this earth like it was in the bermuda triangle or something and our 21st century tech can't find it...

I don't like over the top conspiracy theories either, but something isn't right..

Especially considering there's no more media coverage surrounding it, and the malaysian government has basically brushed it under the rug.

What are the media and government supposed to do though? Hold conferences about how nothing has changed but the Malaysian and Australian government are still looking?

In today's day and age we can't find a freaking plane!? I don't believe that bs

Not to mention the timing of it and the amount of important people that were on the plane.

This is the problem. People cant accept that things can happen beyond our control. "If a plane can go missing other bad things can happen" So in response we invent wild conspiracies as a lullaby to help us deal with it. "Its wasnt random chance it was _____ who did it." The fact that the conspiracy theory involves thousands of people being in on a zany plot is immaterial to the goal of placating your fears about random chance taking your life as easily as anything else.

Every flight in the history of the world has had many important people on board. Every crash you hear: "among the dead were Governor so and so, famous author so and so and a few Kennedys" Except the Boston Bruins team plane, if that went down they would just be sad they lost a valuable plane.

There is quite a bit of information out there about conspiracy theorists due to more researchers doing studies on people who believe in conspiracy theories. All that article did was present some of that information and point out the reasons why some people are more prone to believe in them.

One descriptor of conspiracy theorists that strikes me as accurate is the fact the they " prefer socio political explanations over the insecurity of encountering random , unpredictable , or otherwise inexplicable events".

They kinda remind me of people who used to attribute any event that could not be explained to the actions of a supposed god.

Just because I do not believe what you do does not mean i am trying to belittle you.

^Reasearch done by.. or sponsered by whom? Studies about 'what conspiracy theories',exactly?I certainly do NOT believe in every conspiracy-theory ever uttered. I do believe strongly however, in a few. I've come to those conclusions based upon my own knowledge & studies. A typical deflection or de-bunking technique is to lump all topics of concern into 1,...so that by ridiculing 1, there is a link created by association whereby the de-bunker can now ridicule or postulate reasonings...for them all. Being thus labled, is the cause for some honest witnesses to sit upon evidence, or shy away from reporting & speaking freely about their beliefs and/or suspicions.

Your article is just some vain attempt to dissuade others from speculating,...about anything! That's a real disservice to free-thinkers everywhere,...and demonstrates some closed-mindedness, IMHO.

By attempting to draw a correlation between the results of those dubious studies about "conspiracy theorists" & those who may believe in the posssiblity of divine/angelic/spiritual interventions.... well,.. that's sayin' a lot too. Simply because you doubt the 'power of faith' in some,..you now presume to doubt the 'power of faith' in all? Why not let each situation be judged by its own virtues ...or stand on its own? The writers of this aritcle you posted,... (or conducters of those studies - whatever their/his/her associations or affiliations may be), are essentially attempting to close-up more minds & diminish or hinder the natural questionings & speculations done by flourishing spirits, who use all manner of spiritual consciousness & science to make sense of their universe.

Why not work towards more enlightenment & growing the potential of humanity, instead? Corruption isn't fixed,..until it is exposed - so it can then be dealt with. It's very sad when one cannot entertain the exploration of possibilities. I am not afraid of speculating... or calling upon others to scrutinize the politics of corruption, that mars our society or the workings in our otherwise beautiful world. And - I love a mystery! So - who would be better at solving one of those, btw,..one who can speculate,.. or the one who will always choose the easiest route to a perceived answer,.. & do NO more than that? Or - the ones who just dont care & delay justice,.. by dissuading the efforts of others to find a solution?

This is the problem. People cant accept that things can happen beyond our control. "If a plane can go missing other bad things can happen" So in response we invent wild conspiracies as a lullaby to help us deal with it. "Its wasnt random chance it was _____ who did it." The fact that the conspiracy theory involves thousands of people being in on a zany plot is immaterial to the goal of placating your fears about random chance taking your life as easily as anything else.

Every flight in the history of the world has had many important people on board. Every crash you hear: "among the dead were Governor so and so, famous author so and so and a few Kennedys" Except the Boston Bruins team plane, if that went down they would just be sad they lost a valuable plane.

BTW: This is was not a typical missing aircraft case.

I have several family members who work in the airline industry, and yes air-craft do go down. We like to watch 'MayDay' all of the time,..and for the efforts made to solve many of those mysteries of the past - we have been extremely grateful. Pilots take tests on flight-simulators regularly & have now been prepared to experience a myriad of scenarios. The MH370 situation was... not typical. In this particular case,..conspiracy theories are ripe in our minds - because of that,..and because we hope to flush-out more information concerning it...just like how every other great mystery or disappearance of our time has been solved. And - hopefully it will be,..but this starts by flushing-out & exploring ALL of the possibilites,...and not just some.

And - with the lack of openess & the amount of mis-information given to the public from the very start of this investigation,... conspiracy theorists, in this case, seem to have a little more fuel for their thoughts,..than not.

And - with the lack of openess & the amount of mis-information given to the public from the very start of this investigation,... conspiracy theorists, in this case, seem to have more fuel for their thoughts,..than not.

So the incompetence of the Malaysian Gov is why you believe the conspiracy theories?

Anyways its been 9 months now. The batteries on the data recorder are long dead and it takes about 2 years for the information contained inside to become corrupted. So 1 year 3 months to go.

Everybody who thinks its a conspiracy is an idiot. Im sorry but its true. Jesus christ grow up you sound like your all 14 years old.

Calling people idiots and referring to them as children...this is your refutation?

The funny thing here is that you are the one who fits your own words to a perfect tee (while thinking you are actually so smrt). I'm sorry but it's true.

Now that's irony.

Archived