The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Science Increasingly Makes the Case for God

TheRussianRocket.

Newton, Boyle, Kepler, um Francis Bacon I think? Pascal and Faraday too. I'm sure I forgot some other dudes too.

None of them are in Hawking's league except for maybe Newton.

Most of them are from a time when our species knew a fraction of what we know now.

Religion operates on faith. Science does not. Your faith should not be shaken by science.

Science has discovered things that are inconsistent with religious scripture. So what? Scientific discoveries grounded in empirical evidence should not test one's faith. Faith does not work that way. It cannot be contradicted by empirical evidence.

So people need to stop trying to explain their religious views using the empirical evidence science presents.

People need to stop impeding science by bringing religion into it. It's annoying.

Newton, Boyle, Kepler, um Francis Bacon I think? Pascal and Faraday too. I'm sure I forgot some other dudes too.

Can you name any that are alive today?

Sure they pioneered areas of science and mathematics, made great discoveries but they also lived in an age of superstition and ignorance.

The thing that makes science so powerful is that in can easily change given the right evidence - as is apparent if you follow it's history for even a tiny amount of time. If all of those people were alive today, and studying science today, how many of them would still believe in God?

the last time there was a major change in Religious belief, Islam was born.

Though he's not saying that. Weighing in all the conditions needed to make everything possible, odds are highly, highly against it from happening at all therefore leading the author to suggest there could be a God.

Or there are trillions of other universes and ours just happens to be the lucky one with the correct properties for life to exist in a small part of it.

If God does exist, who created it? You can really go down the rabbit hole with trying to guess the origins of life.

None of them are in Hawking's league except for maybe Newton.

Most of them are from a time when our species knew a fraction of what we know now.

whatttt? just because society has advanced and built upon the ideas others have laid does not mean the scientists of today are necessarily 'greater' than the old ones

you're absolutely talking out of your ass if you think Hawking's relatively minuscule contribution to black holes could hold a candle to Kepler's contribution -- let alone Isaac Newton's -- to the broad spectrum of 'science.' Isaac Newton may in fact be one of the most important people to ever live, in terms of intellectual contribution to western civilization. nobody in their right mind would even consider Hawking the greatest living physicist, let alone scientist. LET ALONE be in the same league as Newton, or one above him...

whatttt? just because society has advanced and built upon the ideas others have laid does not mean the scientists of today are necessarily 'greater' than the old ones

you're absolutely talking out of your ass if you think Hawking's relatively minuscule contribution to black holes could hold a candle to Kepler's contribution -- let alone Isaac Newton's -- to the broad spectrum of 'science.' Isaac Newton may in fact be one of the most important people to ever live, in terms of intellectual contribution to western civilization. nobody in their right mind would even consider Hawking the greatest living physicist, let alone scientist. LET ALONE be in the same league as Newton, or one above him...

I agree comparing great thinkers of today with those who are long since dead is a pretty difficult task - could Hawking do what Newton did if he lived back then (disability aside)? How much more could Newton do today if he had a few hundred extra years of scientific knowledge to build on?

But come on - Hawkings has done a lot more then just talk about black holes and has made some pretty big contributions to physics which most people don't even understand.

I don't really know who was smarter than whom, but the guy who invented the wheel has a greater legacy than all of them combined. Point is, earlier discoveries branched off in so many directions that they affected science as we know it today; the more you know, the less grand discoveries are made in lieu of incremental ones.

Scientists are all awesome and god is stupid.

My Ass says that Hawking has contributed a lot more than knowledge about black holes , and your use of the word miniscule illustrates that your are either talking out your Ass or just bored and trying to stir the pot , the last being most likely

My Ass says that Hawking has contributed a lot more than knowledge about black holes , and your use of the word miniscule illustrates that your are either talking out your Ass or just bored and trying to stir the pot , the last being most likely

i said "relatively minuscule" -- as in relative to Newton's significant value to human history and the development of western civlization. How someone could even compare the careers is beyond me. But whatever.

As I said, Newton is one of the most important people to ever exist in terms of intellect. Hawking's contributions to science was popularizing certain things and a few contributions to black hole studies in the 60s-70s. I'm not downplaying Hawking so much as I'm up-playing Newton. Making the comparison doesn't even really matter (see Dral's post). Someone else made it. You implied one is greater than the other. I disagree completely. But since that counts as a disregard of Hawking, I'll just run with it. IN FOR A PENNY, IN FOR A POUND:

Hawking is a figurehead and has been for ages. in the last three decades his greatest contribution to our understanding of the empirical world is displaying that you don't need more than two working muscles to find a couple of wives and a handful of other women to have affairs with -- a shocking display, really.

He crops up from time to time to say things like "god doesn't exist" or "philosophy is dead" but nobody really cares or takes it seriously.

Hawking is a figurehead and has been for ages. in the last three decades his greatest contribution to our understanding of the empirical world is displaying that you don't need more than two working muscles to find a couple of wives and a handful of other women to have affairs with -- a shocking display, really.

He crops up from time to time to say things like "god doesn't exist" or "philosophy is dead" but nobody really cares or takes it seriously.

First part of your post is fantastic , has me forming arguments.

But you lose all credibility with these statements.

i said "relatively minuscule" -- as in relative to Newton's significant value to human history and the development of western civlization. How someone could even compare the careers is beyond me. But whatever.

As I said, Newton is one of the most important people to ever exist in terms of intellect. Hawking's contributions to science was popularizing certain things and a few contributions to black hole studies in the 60s-70s. I'm not downplaying Hawking so much as I'm up-playing Newton. Making the comparison doesn't even really matter (see Dral's post). Someone else made it. You implied one is greater than the other. I disagree completely. But since that counts as a disregard of Hawking, I'll just run with it. IN FOR A PENNY, IN FOR A POUND:

LoL - that was actually pretty good, you should run with things more often. Cheers man!

Obviously you're only talking about the 1st half of my post :P Hawking has done A LOT more then that and while I could offer up a wiki link to prove my point, I'd rather just leave it with one of the less ban-able meme's from Mr Science Guy

if-i-agreed-with-you-we-would-both-be-wr

for some real funny science memes involving bill nye, i highly recommend google for all those who can stomach something a little ore risky then PG13

Archived