The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oilers Nation: on player development; on tanking

tyhee

There needs to be an Oilers rule where a team can't draft top3 more than twice in 5years. They need to make trades to bring leadership in and stop tanking and ruining every prospect they get.

one thing i think people on this board overlook is how hard it is to gm in edmonton. What quality ufas want to go there? People say bring in this guy or that guy but maybe this guy or that guy doesnt want to be there? I think mact is seriously handicapped compared to gms in other cities and that doesnt just apply because they are losers. Ask yourself this. If you were an above avaerage or really good ufa where would you like to play? Where would your wife want to live? Edmonton would develope players properly only for a good portion of them wanting to leave at fa age. Id live to see the dean lombardis of the world gm in edmonton.

WOW in 11 games Todd Nelson has almost half the wins the Oilers have. What were they doing for the first 35 games? Either bad coaching or the players actually care and listen.

Derek Roy and Matt Fraser are far, faaarrr better NHL players than Leon Draisaitl (at this point) and Steve Pinizzotto. Those were big upgrades.

The draft should be in the snake format so

It would make the worst team think twice about tanking as it wouldnt be as profitable to come last

(First Round:)

1st Pick - 30th Team

2nd Pick - 29th Team

3rd Pick - 28th Team

4th Pick - 27th Team

Etc

(Second Round:)

31st Pick - 1st Team

32nd Pick - 2nd Team

33rd Pick - 3rd Team

34th Pick - 4th Team

Etc

I wonder how badly all of you would want to change the draft order if it were the Canucks (insert your favourite team here) who were in the same position as the Oilers are right now?

Oilers are the least deserving team of a 1st pick, I feel like even many Oilers fans wouldn't argue against that now.

i agree, and to add to that, i think the team that finishes 30th overall should automatically get the 30th overall pick.

additionally, i think the lottery should be restructured so that the 17th place team overall (the best non-playoff team) should have the best odds in the lottery, with the odds getting smaller as you head down the list towards the 29th overall team.

edit: so, if hypothetically the team with best odds win the top 3 picks, draft order would look like:

1 - 17th place

2 - 18th place

3 - 19th place

4 - 20th place

13 - 29th place

14 - 16th place playoff team

15 - 15th place playoff team

29 - stanley cup Champs

30 - 30th place

I like this. I really, really like this. It would add so many new elements to the game. Like if a team was out of the playoffs by game 79, the next 3 games would still be worth those extra points, because the last team not to make the playoffs gets the higher pick. It makes all 82 games worth playing. Further more, it stops tanking for good. No more 1st overall for 30th place ;) . Lastly, It gives those fringe playoff teams that one extra piece they needed to make playoffs. Just by this change, I think it could make the entire league much more competitive.

I personally see no hope for the Oilers. Even if they manage to steal McDavid... then what? They're still in for at least 1-3 years of bottom dwelling. By the time McDavid is ready to make a serious impact they'll be close to losing players like hall/rnh/Eberle to free agency. If their losing culture continues those players likely won't be re signing, and I can't see the current management being competent enough to flip them for a better return.. and we all know they're not going to attract high end ufa's.

They're basically on track for a do over imo. Lose all their existing prospects and hope they can develop their next batch properly over the next 3 years. It's a revolving door of crappiness.

Archived