The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey house wives coming to W Network! Millers wifey also in it.

MoneypuckOverlord

You still won't have a chance, bud! ;)

All kidding aside, small town girls seem to be much better than bigger city girls.

what? are you from a small town? or have you ever been to a small town? or do you just listen to a whole lot of bro country?

something isn't adding up with that statement.

Here he goes again, speaking of individual women as if they are a single clump of cells from each area code. "better", whatever the hell that means. It's like he's discussing the roads from each town.

So what part of my points have you addressed in this post?

Oh right, none again. Never mind.

ryan miller's wife is about as much of an actress as tori spelling is an author. yeah, they have their names on a few projects, but come on

there's a thin line between "acting" and "unemployment" -- and that line is called "reality TV"

Here he goes again, speaking of individual women as if they are a single clump of cells from each area code. "better", whatever the hell that means. It's like he's discussing the roads from each town.

you forgot this part

I'm not going to bother engaging anymore in this thread with you because I'm certain I've made my point clear, despite your feeble attempts to misconstrue them.

D:

This isn't about her personality, her humour or if she's attractive. The ONLY REASON she's in the show, along with other women, is because they are in relationships with hockey players. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't try to insult common intelligence by acting like it's relevant to the sport at all. And try explaining why women deserve reality shows based NOT based on talents, but which men they are banging.

I'm not part of a collective consciousness of womanhood where we're team players and we're all the same. If someone is stupid, I'll say they are with little regard for what's between their legs. Being of the same gender doesn't absolve someone from criticism.

I have yet to meet a man that doesn't immediately cringe at watching "The real wives of X" where X= anything. Not sure about the exact demographics but if you look it up I would suspect almost all the audience is women. So if you have a feminist problem with how women are treating other women that's fine with me just keep the guys out of it!

There is no room for solving physics equations on the show. The fundamental basis of it revolves around being catty, drama loving wives. It is no different from Real Housewives, but marketers thought some idiots would be gullible enough to think otherwise if the women are wives of hockey players.

How much of CDC has thought provoking content (or even a grasp of basic mathematics) and how much of it is the kind of pure fluff that is going to be on this show? :frantic:

Could it be that the people making these shows know their audience? :bored:

Do you think righteous indignation is going to make them stop?!?

:sadno:

: :D :lol: : :D :lol:

ryan miller's wife is about as much of an actress as tori spelling is an author. yeah, they have their names on a few projects, but come on

there's a thin line between "acting" and "unemployment" -- and that line is called "reality TV"

Sorry to rain on your parade, she is an actress and she's earning the money as one.

We hear your opinions all the time on CDC, are you even paid to give one? Oh right, you're no better than anyone else.

Sorry to rain on your parade, she is an actress and she's earning the money as one.

We hear your opinions all the time on CDC, are you even paid to give one? Oh right, you're no better than anyone else.

didn't say she's not an actress. tori spelling has her name on a book, too.

how would you know what i have or haven't been paid for?

didn't say she's not an actress. tori spelling has her name on a book, too.

how would you know what i have or haven't been paid for?

Actually, yes, you were downplaying what she was - an actress.

This is where your own post betrays you.

So, if they're paid to do what they do, they are considered 'professionals', am I right?

Just because you don't like them or you don't think they are worthy of that title is irrelevant. You are not paid to make that assessment. You can just choose to avoid their titles.

Second point: How do I know what you're paid or not? I don't. I'm only referring to CDC.

And your opinions, like mine, are not worth getting paid - that I'm very sure of.

Actually, yes, you were downplaying what she was - an actress.

This is where your own post betrays you.

So, if they're paid to do what they do, they are considered 'professionals', am I right?

Just because you don't like them or you don't think they are worthy of that title is irrelevant. You are not paid to make that assessment. You can just choose to avoid their titles.

Second point: How do I know what you're paid or not? I don't. I'm only referring to CDC.

And your opinions, like mine, are not worth getting paid - that I'm very sure of.

i'm downplaying the merit of her career, not the fact that she is, in fact, an actress

obviously that's just my opinion. if you disagree and think she's put in solid performances as nouns such as: "Temp" and "Bride" in her recent movies, or maybe you're a fan of The 41-Year-Old Virgin Who Knocked Up Sarah Marshall and Felt Superbad About It -- cool. all the power to you.

being a professional or even paid doesn't matter. how would "The Stage" survive if not for unpaid/volunteer actors? so, not sure what your point is in regards to money

I doubt you'll reply since you didn't reply to my earlier comment but I thought I'd address some of your earlier posts.

Lots of women have carried shows based on their onscreen persona and their talents (whatever you consider these to be, that's entirely subjective) I'm curious to know what shows you woulld you consider to do this.

Am I the only one here that actually respects a woman's presence on TV? Nope, but I feel like the presence you respect and the one I respect are two totally different things.

You're criticizing the show for featuring women that are in a relationship with these hockey players. How is this any different than "NHL Revealed"?

The whole point of the show is to get an insider's look of the life of a hockey player. No, it's the life of the wife.

THIS is the market for Canada. Canada likes hockey. Put two and two together and you'll connect the dots. Sure.

What do you expect out of a show like this one? Melodrama. They're not actually going to make Dewulf demonstrate what she means by 'athletes having better stamina', so a lot of this show is going to have to be carried by the personality of these women - or scripts, either way, the women need to have the personality to successfully carry it, without it being junk television. I sure hope that they do themselves (and their husbands) justice. I think they will.

What are your thoughts on "The Real Housewives" series? Rachet

Seems like that's a show you should be criticizing, more so than a show about the wives of hockey players, which in all likelihood, can't be too graphic, since kids like to follow hockey players. Have you heard of Basketball Wives?

Lol, you're funny. You're dodging out of the thread at a bad time. That's okay, you can't put up a decent argument to save your life.

Hint: "There are plenty that will agree with me" doesn't make your point right.

Example: Some southern American racists congregate together - there's plenty that will agree with them, sure. It doesn't make them right.

Go ahead and think that you've made your 'point' (you had a point?) clear.

It's not "really" junk TV.

As I said, it's no different than "NHL Revealed", no surprise, the original creator of it is working on this program. It's different; it's not about the players it's about their wives the only reason why these women are being considered for this show is who they are dating/married to. It is not because of their skills, intelligence or anything else.

If the argument is that networks are cash-cowing on the sport of hockey, I won't disagree; however, the premise of it being on-par with "The Bachelor/Bachelorette and/or Real Housewives and/or Survivor etc etc" is inaccurate. That's been my argument all along. The preview I saw makes it look a lot like Real Housewives.

Added to the fact that it's on Women's Network, it's unlikely that it'll be anything LIKE "Real Housewives" because those shows all paint women in a very bad light. (For starters, they are judged by their looks and then narrowed down. Along the way, 'crazy' women are kept on the show for drama purposes) I'll be interested to see where the story lines in this show take the women. I can't think of any reason why there wouldn't be drama between the women if they are in contact with eachother.

I think some people think that 'feminism' means the legal right to bash men and women who don't think like they do. I'm not saying all, but some.

I doubt you'll reply since you didn't reply to my earlier comment but I thought I'd address some of your earlier posts.

Don't take it the wrong way. I meant to reply to you, but it was one of the lower priorities (no offense intended) and I eventually forgot.

No, I did not come from a small town. I was born here.

Posted Today, 07:59 PM

Dazzle, on 28 Jan 2015 - 1:31 PM, said:snapback.png

Lots of women have carried shows based on their onscreen persona and their talents (whatever you consider these to be, that's entirely subjective) I'm curious to know what shows you woulld you consider to do this.

Am I the only one here that actually respects a woman's presence on TV? Nope, but I feel like the presence you respect and the one I respect are two totally different things.

Dazzle, on 28 Jan 2015 - 1:18 PM, said:snapback.png

You're criticizing the show for featuring women that are in a relationship with these hockey players. How is this any different than "NHL Revealed"?

The whole point of the show is to get an insider's look of the life of a hockey player. No, it's the life of the wife.

THIS is the market for Canada. Canada likes hockey. Put two and two together and you'll connect the dots. Sure.

What do you expect out of a show like this one? Melodrama. They're not actually going to make Dewulf demonstrate what she means by 'athletes having better stamina', so a lot of this show is going to have to be carried by the personality of these women - or scripts, either way, the women need to have the personality to successfully carry it, without it being junk television. I sure hope that they do themselves (and their husbands) justice. I think they will.

What are your thoughts on "The Real Housewives" series? Rachet

Seems like that's a show you should be criticizing, more so than a show about the wives of hockey players, which in all likelihood, can't be too graphic, since kids like to follow hockey players. Have you heard of Basketball Wives?

Lol, you're funny. You're dodging out of the thread at a bad time. That's okay, you can't put up a decent argument to save your life.

Hint: "There are plenty that will agree with me" doesn't make your point right.

Example: Some southern American racists congregate together - there's plenty that will agree with them, sure. It doesn't make them right.

Go ahead and think that you've made your 'point' (you had a point?) clear.

Dazzle, on 28 Jan 2015 - 4:22 PM, said:snapback.png

It's not "really" junk TV.

As I said, it's no different than "NHL Revealed", no surprise, the original creator of it is working on this program. It's different; it's not about the players it's about their wives the only reason why these women are being considered for this show is who they are dating/married to. It is not because of their skills, intelligence or anything else.

If the argument is that networks are cash-cowing on the sport of hockey, I won't disagree; however, the premise of it being on-par with "The Bachelor/Bachelorette and/or Real Housewives and/or Survivor etc etc" is inaccurate. That's been my argument all along. The preview I saw makes it look a lot like Real Housewives.

Added to the fact that it's on Women's Network, it's unlikely that it'll be anything LIKE "Real Housewives" because those shows all paint women in a very bad light. (For starters, they are judged by their looks and then narrowed down. Along the way, 'crazy' women are kept on the show for drama purposes) I'll be interested to see where the story lines in this show take the women. I can't think of any reason why there wouldn't be drama between the women if they are in contact with eachother.

I think some people think that 'feminism' means the legal right to bash men and women who don't think like they do. I'm not saying all, but some.

Great points. I hope to address them. This is something that FramingDragon just doesn't do. She prefers hunting and running from danger.

1) The life of a wife is not too different from the life of a player - hence, my point still stands. It's an insider's look, or at least, an orchestrated simulation. It's not quite like the 'gossipy' theme that FD is insinuating about the show. It's probably (I'm guessing) similar to NHL Revealed, since the creator is involved in this project. It's also on Women's Network, which I'm sure is going to show programming that is focused on women in a positive way. In other words, they're unlikely to approve programming like "The Real Housewives".

2) Melodrama? Okay..... where are you going with this?

3) Really? Real housewives? Are we still watching the same trailer?

http://mikesbloggityblog.com/the-real-housewives-of-the-nhl-comes-to-tv/

The blog itself mentions "Real Housewives", unsurprisingly, but the content is nowhere near as b_____y as the other series that you're mentioning. There's no "cat fights" - and if they are, it's not going to be good on the woman, being the wife of a hockey player. That's all on the trailer.

4) "It's different; it's not about the players it's about their wives the only reason why these women are being considered for this show is who they are dating/married to. It is not because of their skills, intelligence or anything else."

Is that so?

There are some wives on here that are married to NHLers that aren't immediately famous.

Why aren't the Sedin wives on here, for example? Or Elisha Cuthbert/Dion Phaneuf on here? Surely for ratings, you'd go for THOSE kinds of players right?

What about Dave Tippett's wife?

Jason Labarbera?

Parros?

Surely these aren't the only wives of hockey players currently, so these must be the ones that have agreed to do them. Your point falls flat because, from a marketing point of view, wouldn't it be better to find, let's say, Martin St. Louis' wife?

St. Louis is a great story - and how his wife must have supported him to keep going - and eventually have him move close to home.

But not all 'big markets' are being represented.

Here's the list:

Hockey Wives premieres Wednesday, March 18 at 10 p.m. ET/PT

Here’s the complete listing of the show’s cast:

Noureen DeWulf

Married to Vancouver Canucks goalie Ryan Miller

Martine Forget

Engaged to Toronto Maple Leafs goalie Jonathan Bernier

Nicole Brown

Married to LA Kings Captain Dustin Brown

Maripier Morin

Dating Montreal Canadiens winger Brandon Prust

Tiffany Parros

Married to newly retired player George Parros

Brijet Whitney

Married to newly retired player Ray Whitney

Emilie Blum

Married to Minnesota/Iowa Wild defenseman Jonathon Blum

Kodette LaBarbera

Married to Anaheim Ducks goalie Jason LaBarbera

Jenny Scrivens

Married to Edmonton Oilers goalie Ben Scrivens

Wendy Tippett

Married to Arizona Coyotes Head Coach Dave Tippett

5) You repeated your point again on 'Real Housewives', so please refer to the above.

6) Drama? You'd be naive to think there isn't drama. There's no drama in your household? No drama with friends?

That's asinine.

The difference with this show and the crudely produced "Real Housewives" is that it is much less beneficial to depict these women who have agreed to do these shows to make them (and their husband) look bad.

If there is any drama, it's likely going to be very toned down.

dazzle, let's be honest with each other: i have never, not once, literally ever ducked any post or "argument" you have made towards me

the thing i'm quoting, context or not, is funny to me. you have such a weird way of 'reading' things. i have no 'argument' to make in response to a conversation i'm not part of -- i couldn't even finish reading either of the posts concerned

And I didn't say you were 'ducking'. That dubious distinction doesn't belong to you. You never have ducked.

You quote it, but don't make a response to it - what's the point?

It's funny you say that: you're trying to stir up something in a 'conversation' that you apparently aren't part of (It was never excluded from you in the first place), as you so claim.

And I didn't say you were 'ducking'. That dubious distinction doesn't belong to you. You never have ducked.

You quote it, but don't make a response to it - what's the point?

It's funny you say that: you're trying to stir up something in a 'conversation' that you apparently aren't part of (It was never excluded from you in the first place), as you so claim.

You're right, you want to tell me again why you keep bringing up "big city vs. small town" girls in everything from threads about sweatpants to reality TV shows? Otherwise and myself both asked you why and you keep ducking.

Archived