The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Question for Fellow Radio Heads

selkirkcraig

It's a total indictment on the type of jobs I used to have, but I spent a lot of my early Canuck years listening to games versus watching them. As a result, I have a genuine affection for games on the radio. Heck, although I'm more gainfully employed now, I still love cruising around Korea (my new home) listening to games on my car stereo, Over the years, although the on ice team may have been lacking, the radio crew has always been top notch. From Robson, to Hughson, to Shortie, we have been so fortunate to have our games called by some of the best in the business.

However, saying that, I'm not sure about Mr Abbott. First, he's kind of boring, which is pretty hard to be when you're calling the most exciting sport in the world. And not only that, he seems over his head. He really hasn't brought anything to the games as of yet like a sharp wit. One thing that really bothers me is that you can't tell what is happening from his voice. I often can't tell if we or the other team scored for a second or so, if that makes any sense? When compared to Regan Bartel from my beloved Kelowna Rockets, he's so dull. When the Rockets score, you know it! Now, I'm not trying to get the guy fired as I genuinely think Mr Abbott should be given every opportunity to succeed. I'm just stating that I'm not overly impressed so far. Hopefully, he can grow in to the job and excel like so many have before him.

What do you fellow radio hounds think of him?

PS, As for the rest of the crew, I love them.

I agree with you 110%! I can't stand listening to Abbott. My biggest complaint about him is there's a good 2-3 second delay with what he says and what's happening on ice. A lot of times when goals are scored especially at home you hear the goal horn and then Abbott say scoressss! Maybe we got spoiled by jim Robson and shorty?

I'm starting to get used to him. We've been pretty spoiled in this market for so long. Robson was a cut above and Shorty followed suit. Abbott could stand to maybe bring an element of inflection to his call. Kinda sounds the same whether it be the Canucks that just scored, or their opponents. Regan Bartel - Love the enthusiasm (and inflection), has a great voice for hockey. If I did have one negative however, it's when he refers to the goalies as "the goalie" during the coarse of play. Can't tell which goalie he's talking about. Would like him to say the goalies name while describing play a little more often.

I agree. When there was Shorty on the radio, you always knew when the Canucks scored a goal while now Abbot, it takes a while to sink in. For example, the Kassian goal against Boston, "Off the post...and in." In that moment, I was thinking, "Oh, no, a good chance wasted!" When actually Kassian had scored.

Robson, Hughson, Shorthouse.

That's pretty tough acts to follow. My problem is he doesn't describe the play well enough. I know play-by-play in hockey is one of the toughest gigs in sports. He also sounds more like a salesman, than a sports guy.

Holy how did I forget about Hughson. My brains gone kaput.

It takes time to find your niche.

A few years ago I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame and tried the play-by-play booth. It plays a small video clip and you are supposed to call the game. Pretty much everyone crashes and burns. You don't realize how hard it is to describe the game during real time. It takes years to prefect and hone the craft.

I think we should give the guy a long leash to find his comfort level. Stepping into the role and having an audience demanding perfection is tough.....hmmmmm, now I understand how the players feel in this market too.

I was on a road trip Sunday so it was the first time I'd ever listened to a game on the radio. I have to agree with all the point made in here. I found it extremely hard to follow the game and could tell what was happening more by listening to the crowd/goal horns than Abbot's calls.

Saying that though, I can only imagine how hard of a job it must be to describe a game of hockey in real time so that listeners can understand what is going on AND have it be exciting as well.

Robson, Hughson, Shorthouse.

That's pretty tough acts to follow. My problem is he doesn't describe the play well enough. I know play-by-play in hockey is one of the toughest gigs in sports. He also sounds more like a salesman, than a sports guy.

I agree and I grew up listening to the likes of Danny Gallivan and Foster Hewitt.

With Ball leaving, I think they scrambled to find someone for the radio broadcasts.

Tough job for anyone to undertake in their first year. ( first year broadcasting Canuck games, his previous experience hasn't helped it seems )

Perhaps Abbott will improve next year, his second season, or gain this year, some much needed broadcast excitement from the upcoming playoff run.

So far, I find his play by play to be devoid of any emotion and too automated. Very much like listening to a junior game.

I listen on the radio to perhaps one game out of five, so don't listen as much as others who have posted, but to me, Abbot has a long way to go. He has a terrific radio voice, but I have trouble following his description of the play, who is on the ice and who has scored and assisted on goals. It's really frustrating the times he doesn't give who is on the ice for a faceoff, especially during a pp or pk. It's perhaps even more frustrating when he doesn't give the official version of goals and assists after they've been announced in the arena.

He's better than he was in the pre-season, though.

My first experience listening to Canucks hockey back in the late 80's, early 90's, was Jim Robson. And I was in Chilliwack (well, Sardis, whatever). Even from that distance, CKNW didn't always come in very clear so I had to position the radio a certain way, and sit in my room listening to the games. But Jim's voice cut right though that static. And it was super exciting when the play would go our way. Jim Hughson is a master of wit as well, and has that excellent clear radio voice which earned him the spot on the NHL videogame franchise. Not sure if he still has that gig for EA Sports, but it was great.

And I've always liked Shorty's enthusiasm.

It takes time to find your niche.

A few years ago I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame and tried the play-by-play booth. It plays a small video clip and you are supposed to call the game. Pretty much everyone crashes and burns. You don't realize how hard it is to describe the game during real time. It takes years to prefect and hone the craft.

I think we should give the guy a long leash to find his comfort level. Stepping into the role and having an audience demanding perfection is tough.....hmmmmm, now I understand how the players feel in this market too.

Agreed. I thought I could do play by play but when I stepped into that booth, I realized as soon as the clip started, my voice began to fade because I was trying to catch up to the play. It sure is hard.

My first experience listening to Canucks hockey back in the late 80's, early 90's, was Jim Robson. And I was in Chilliwack (well, Sardis, whatever). Even from that distance, CKNW didn't always come in very clear so I had to position the radio a certain way, and sit in my room listening to the games. But Jim's voice cut right though that static. And it was super exciting when the play would go our way. Jim Hughson is a master of wit as well, and has that excellent clear radio voice which earned him the spot on the NHL videogame franchise. Not sure if he still has that gig for EA Sports, but it was great.

And I've always liked Shorty's enthusiasm.

Nope. NHL 09 was the last one for Hughson and they've since gone on from Gary Thorne and now more of a production cast of NBC's crew of Doc Emrick and Eddie Olczyk

Archived