The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Hamhuis

Plum

I'm in middle.

Definitely not good for our LD in the short term, but if we could package up Hamhuis, Richardson (who I believe will walk anyways), perhaps Gaunce, or another prospect, and we might be able to get that future #1 PMD or #1 centre

If we add a 1st, we could probably get Edmonton's 1st and Juraj Khaira or Bogdan Yakimov...

Edler looks great with Tanev, he struggled in the 2 games without Tanev like Elliotte Friedman mentioned during the pre-game. He looks better now, Hamhuis looks great beside Tanev. Leads me to believe Tanev is our best defenceman

wtf? Burrows looks good with everyone, that doesn't make him the team's best forward.

wtf? Burrows looks good with everyone, that doesn't make him the team's best forward.

Hamhuis looks terrible without Tanev. He hasn't been the same ever since last year when he was paired up with Tanev. Edler looked terrible last year without Tanev and even just the couple of games that he played when Tanev was injured.

Here's the kiss a death Plum, as I agree with you.

Given the choice between Hamhuis and tanev, I'd choose the younger, and more consistent Tanev. Question is whether Hamhuis would wave his no trade clause.

For those of us that advocate trading Hamhuis the problem is....................he is in control of his own fate

Tanev................not so much

So for me personally, I would trade Hamhuis, but in reality, it would probably be Tanev, if either one goes

Tanev and Higgins to Edmonton for 2015-24th OA, 32 OA and Justin Shultz

Hamhuis looks terrible without Tanev. He hasn't been the same ever since last year when he was paired up with Tanev. Edler looked terrible last year without Tanev and even just the couple of games that he played when Tanev was injured.

Both Hamhuis and Edler advance the puck better than Tanev, even if Tanev is safter (Hamhuis has been criticized recently for turnovers, but he still is better at finding the best passes. He's slower now, so he's a bit easier to pressure and force a turnover) and in general are better offensively. Edler's probably the best of the 3 in front of the net, followed by Hamhuis, Tanev's not that aggressive there. Tanev is probably the most consistent though positionally, which allows the other 2 to do what they can do. He's an excellent supplement to a better D-Man. Put Hamhuis with Sbisa or Edler with Bieksa and things won't go as well, since they (Sbisa and Bieksa) are both a bit shaky.

Both Hamhuis and Edler advance the puck better than Tanev, even if Tanev is safter (Hamhuis has been criticized recently for turnovers, but he still is better at finding the best passes. He's slower now, so he's a bit easier to pressure and force a turnover) and in general are better offensively. Edler's probably the best of the 3 in front of the net, followed by Hamhuis, Tanev's not that aggressive there. Tanev is probably the most consistent though positionally, which allows the other 2 to do what they can do. He's an excellent supplement to a better D-Man. Put Hamhuis with Sbisa or Edler with Bieksa and things won't go as well, since they (Sbisa and Bieksa) are both a bit shaky.

Hamhuis and Edler aren't puck carriers though. They can take it up to the red line but once they get there they're passing it off because they can't carry the puck up. Tanev can do the same thing, he doesn't have a shot or is a guy who can skate the puck past the blue-line consistently but neither can Hamhuis or Edler. Edler probably has the best shot but he's slow. Edler is overrated, he really isn't that good. He has good decision making now beside Tanev but last season he was making dumb decisions all over the ice. Tanev has been great for us the last 2 seasons now.

I don't know how you can say Edler is the best in front of the net when he doesn't really do anything. He has a big frame but the knock has always been that he doesn't use it and he still doesn't. The one thing that seperates Tanev is his skating, he can get the puck from the boards when the other team dumps it in and he can go. He picks the puck up and goes quickly making a pass for a smooth break-out. He's really good at that. Edler doesn't have that ability but he's probably good at using his body positionally more than physically which is something Tanev can't do.

Hamhuis hasn't looked as sharp this year, and Edler didn't look sharp last year. Tanev throughout both years as been solid, Tanev was paired with Hamhuis last year, and paired with Edler this year. Both look better with Tanev beside them, he's just really calm and solid back there. The goalies we've had loved Tanev, everybody loves Tanev because of that. I think that's the most important part to our defensive core, a solid calm defenceman.

Hamhuis and Edler aren't puck carriers though. They can take it up to the red line but once they get there they're passing it off because they can't carry the puck up. Tanev can do the same thing, he doesn't have a shot or is a guy who can skate the puck past the blue-line consistently but neither can Hamhuis or Edler. Edler probably has the best shot but he's slow. Edler is overrated, he really isn't that good. He has good decision making now beside Tanev but last season he was making dumb decisions all over the ice. Tanev has been great for us the last 2 seasons now.

I don't know how you can say Edler is the best in front of the net when he doesn't really do anything. He has a big frame but the knock has always been that he doesn't use it and he still doesn't. The one thing that seperates Tanev is his skating, he can get the puck from the boards when the other team dumps it in and he can go. He picks the puck up and goes quickly making a pass for a smooth break-out. He's really good at that. Edler doesn't have that ability but he's probably good at using his body positionally more than physically which is something Tanev can't do.

Hamhuis hasn't looked as sharp this year, and Edler didn't look sharp last year. Tanev throughout both years as been solid, Tanev was paired with Hamhuis last year, and paired with Edler this year. Both look better with Tanev beside them, he's just really calm and solid back there. The goalies we've had loved Tanev, everybody loves Tanev because of that. I think that's the most important part to our defensive core, a solid calm defenceman.

Don't need to be puck carriers (albeit both do it more than Tanev). Tanev is more likely to do pass A, which although is safe, the other two (especially Hamhuis) are more likely to find pass B which can lead to a better play.

Hamhuis and Tanev don't do much in front of the net either. Edler at least has size. I agree Tanev compliments Edler well, but all around Edler is better. Same thing with Hamhuis. Tanev is great, but he's not the best on the pairing. Complimentary D-Man can be just as important as their partner beside them, but they aren't better (e.g. Muzzin, Phillips, Josi, etc.)

Don't need to be puck carriers (albeit both do it more than Tanev). Tanev is more likely to do pass A, which although is safe, the other two (especially Hamhuis) are more likely to find pass B which can lead to a better play.

Hamhuis and Tanev don't do much in front of the net either. Edler at least has size. I agree Tanev compliments Edler well, but all around Edler is better. Same thing with Hamhuis. Tanev is great, but he's not the best on the pairing. Complimentary D-Man can be just as important as their partner beside them, but they aren't better (e.g. Muzzin, Phillips, Josi, etc.)

What is Edler doing better than Tanev? Tanev is quicker examples like moving the puck up the ice quicker or picking the puck up in his own-end and getting it out of the zone while Edler gets pinned to the boards or swings it toward Tanev. Tanev is also better positionally than Edler, better at angling defenders and really just better defensively.

I'm not an advanced stat guy but Tanev has better SAT (Shot Attempts) which combines shot attempts from the Canucks to the opposing team when Tanev is on the ice.

Tanev is better statistically than Edler. Edler is a totally different player than last year, the difference? He's paired up with Tanev. Great defenceman make their linemates better and Tanev does that.

Archived