The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(DISCUSSION) CANUCKS VS KINGS RIVALRY

Scorvat

The term 'Rival' is a very kind compliment we don't qualify. '2-points-gimme' would be more accurate description of what we are to Kings at this point. They come out on the ice, scowl at us and we hand the candies over. That pretty much sums up what's been happening since 2012.

I was also bemused by Canucks twitter asking fans to join the upcoming California Road Trip, right after the game last night. Sure, there'll be passionate people who will join the trip to cheer for the team... But will the team really be there? :unsure:

anyone else find themselves falling asleep every time they watch the kings and canucks play? I can't stand the kings system, it is boring as hell (though it does seem to work)

Agreed...its like they throw a blanket over the opposition...The Kings are very sound positionally,and a very big team...They play a patient game and wait for you make mistakes...If they get up by two goals,you could almost call it game over.

Agreed...its like they throw a blanket over the opposition...The Kings are very sound positionally,and a very big team...They play a patient game and wait for you make mistakes...If they get up by two goals,you could almost call it game over.

Since the 2012 playoffs when they beat the Canucks, the Kings play that boring "kitty by the door" style of hockey. It might win but tit is boring and I will not watch a game when the Kings are playing. In 2012 you knew after about 10 minutes in the Canucks were going to lose. The only hope the Canucks have this year if they makke the playoffs is they play Calgary but if it is LA they will be out in four straight. I can't see them beating the Ducks either. Maybe one game but the Ducks will hanlde the Canucks easliy.

I understand the Kings own our team. But just the atmosphere of the games with them feel like a heated rivalry. For both teams. This is a big rivalry IMHO, but its not like the chicago one was. But it can be.

But i do see why everyone disagrees. I just feel like its going to be our biggest rival for years to come.

Totally agree with you cbdoubleu. We were their nemesis until towards the end of 2012 when Duncan Keith's cheap shot on Daniel accelerated the Canucks progress towards mediocrity.

Still won the PT in 2012, but we were easy meat in the first round for the Kings in round one. They haven't looked back since.

Funny how an injury or two can make it a whole new ballgame.

Wonder how the Kings would do if someone took a run at Doughty and put him out of action?

Wouldn't wish for that to happen, but it wouldn't be the first time or the last.

I think it all started in the 2010 playoffs. Alot of trashtalk amd physical play between the two teams. Doughty and Burrows were constantly trashtalking, Simmonds kept getting into it with Canucks dmen and eventually fought O'Brien, Alberts boards Richardson, Clune running his mouth only to get fed by Rypien.

I remember when the Kings fans hated the Canucks after losing in round one, but our fans didnt care becausr the Hawks and Bruins were bigger rivals..

Then there was the game that Clifford jumped Ballard, Stoll ran Luongo or Schneider, and current Canuck Brad Richardson belted Henrik after the Kings scored.

Plenty of drama in their next series with Kesler's dives, Bitz hit, Brown's hit on Sedin. Then of course they beat the president trophy winner Canucks thanks to Richardson's tying goal and Stoll's ot goal then went on to win a cup.

In the lockout season Ballard continued to beat up Colin Fraser and Nolan crosschecked Hank in the back of the neck...

Next season Nolan ran Henrik and decided to fight Ryan Stanton next shift when Kassian and Sestito previously challenged him... Thats not it, Nolan ran Henrik again and got pummelled by Sestito, resulting in a series of events, Kesler vs Brown, Weise slewfoots, Kassian/Mitchell, etc. which helped contribute to a "moral victory." Oh, and Dustin Brown ran Luongo the game prior.

Not as much animosity this season, but as you can see, there has been alot of history between these teams in recent years.

Archived