The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(DISCUSSION) CANUCKS VS KINGS RIVALRY

Scorvat

Part of the definition of "RIVAL: a person or thing in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority." We have not challenged them at all, hence no rivalry. We get our butts handed to us by them...

Hate them yes, have we proved a challenge to them. Nope!

anyone else find themselves falling asleep every time they watch the kings and canucks play? I can't stand the kings system, it is boring as hell (though it does seem to work)

The Kings system is so effective because it matches the strengths of the players on the roster very well. They are able to play that style very effectively.

The Canucks try to play a puck possession, speed fueled style but do not have the style of players to fit that system yet.

Winning faceoffs is critical to that style being successful. We can't win faceoffs with Bonino, Vey as centers. Even Henrik is brutal at key times in the faceoff circle.

Bonino, Vey, the Sedins, etc are average speed players trying to play a speed game. They are not a good fit for that which is why it is very hit and miss in terms of the efficiency and effort from game to game.

This is not to even mention that puck possession teams also rely heavily on a mobile D to move the puck in transition which we are clearly lacking.

THERE is absolutely no rivalry between us and the Kings. We aren't even in the same league as the Kings.

I wouldnt say there is absolutely none. We are in the same division. We are currently ahead of them in the standings. We just cant beat them. We have 2 more games. We need 1 or iyts going to be VERY tough to make the playoffs.

I understand what you guys are saying, but this is a BIG rivalry in the making. Especially if we meet in the playoffs

I wouldnt say there is absolutely none. We are in the same division. We are currently ahead of them in the standings. We just cant beat them. We have 2 more games. We need 1 or iyts going to be VERY tough to make the playoffs.

I understand what you guys are saying, but this is a BIG rivalry in the making. Especially if we meet in the playoffs

I agree, the kings are rivals, just as the Oilers, Flames, Sharks, Ducks, and even the Coyotes are. At this point I'd call them Division Rivals. Every game against any of these teams is so important in the regular season. At the same time if we had a playoff series or two it would elevate the rivalry to beyond just a divisional rivalry. I think if we faced the Kings and had a series to 6 or 7 games it would definitely constitute a rivalry beyond just divisional. I also think if we had a series against Calgary it would probably prompt the same discussion, likewise for the Sharks. Anaheim has potential due to the Kesler trade alone. IMO, the common theme is that there needs to be some sort of history between the teams for it to really elevate the rivalry and for me to really really give a damn (more so than ordinary games) Whereas teams like the Coyotes and Oilers, it might take a few series or even playoff pushes to get to the level of rivalry as the Kings Flames etc.

I think we're destined for some major rivalry action both this season and next. If we miss the playoffs I will majorly dislike both the Kings and Flames (or Sharks), the teams likely to knock us out. And if we do make the playoffs it is likely going to be a first round matchup between the Flames or Kings (or Sharks) thus creating an animosity on another level as the playoffs seem to always prompt.

To be a rivalry, the teams need to be competitive against each other. The Canucks have no clue how to beat the Kings' system. Three years and three coaches later and it's still the same result -- men vs. boys.

The Kings slap us aside like we're not even there. There is no rivalry, we are their b*tch.

To them we are just another weak team they can role over multiple times in a season, Just because we suck against them doesn't make it a rivalry...

They have bigger things to go after, they don't care about us.

Part of the definition of "RIVAL: a person or thing in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority." We have not challenged them at all, hence no rivalry. We get our butts handed to us by them...

Hate them yes, have we proved a challenge to them. Nope!

THERE is absolutely no rivalry between us and the Kings. We aren't even in the same league as the Kings.

Rivals OP? Really?

We're rivals to them like the Oilers are rivals to us.

Rivalries are only rivalries if you have a chance to win.

How do Canuck fans feel about the oilers? Do they feel like they are our rivals?

The only reason the blackhawks felt like a rivalry was because we actually felt like we had a chance to beat them in the playoffs and we did win 4 out of 12 games we played against them in the first two years. So it's not like it wasn't possible.

Against the Kings

1) Feels like it's impossible to have chance to win

2) Have only won one game since 2012 against them

3) No where near the level of play they are at

4) Have trouble scoring

Just because we hate a team because they are better than us and sometimes play dirty, doesn't make it a rivalry.

Rivals? Not enough competition to be "rivals", unfortunately. I hate the Kings, hate watching the Canucks play the Kings, hate most of their roster, hate their coach, and all because I hate losing.

I really hope the wheels come off in LA, they outplay us so badly, so much WTF.

As others have said, I don't really see a rivalry here. Wasn't it last year when the Bruins said they really didn't see any rivalry with us, that they'd won their cup and moved on, had bigger fish to fry, etc.? Pretty much the same goes for LA if you ask me. If we weren't sitting in what I'm sure they feel is their playoff spot I don't think they'd really care. However, the fact we are in their spot fires them up to do what they did to last night. Wasn't pretty to watch.

I really hope the wheels come off in LA, they outplay us so badly, so much WTF.

Luckily for us I think that time will be upon them very soon, same goes for Chicago. I've heard LA is likely to lose Stoll and/or Williams (the price of his clutch is simply too high for LA to retain IMO) and Chicago (with Kane+Toews tying up 21 mill in cap starting next year) will likely be moving a big piece or two as well (Sharp, Seabrook, Hossa). Same thing happened to us so it's nice to see it happen to our competitors.

From 2010-14 this team was 15-16 vs the KIngs. 0-3 this year.

http://mcubed.net/nhl/van/la.shtml

That gives you an indication of how this matchup went prior to 2012 when the Kings knocked off (a very hobbled) Vancouver in the playoffs. The only other playoff matchup over the past 20 years Vancouver won in 2010.

Make no mistake - the Kings hated Vancouver.

There was a similar, even more marked domination of/by San Jose over a comparable time span.

The thing is - things change. They'll hate this team again, soon enough.

I hate the Kings the most of any team in the league but it can't really be called a rivalry unless both teams feel it. Like Chicago-Vancouver (2010-2012) and Boston-Vancouver (2011-2012). With the Kings, we are so much their punching bag, it's just one-way animosity from our fanbase.

It's like how back in the Northwest division days, Wild fans thought the Canucks were their rivals, but we didn't really feel it here. Wasn't much of a rivalry.

^this^

Maybe the Kings should be our "Canucks". It was always somewhat baffling but amusing to see just how much the Wild hated us and got up for our games. Probably because of how we manhandled them during the WCE days. But however they generated that hate it eventually worked for them. The final insult was Bertuzzi scoffing at them when we were we were up 3 - 1 in the 2003 playoff series, and the rallied to win the series. So a one way rivalry might work if they can generate the hate.

Archived