The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Get Your first look inside the nearly complete Quebec City arena

There may not be an NHL tenant yet, but the Quebec City arena, known as the Videotron Centre, is growing ever-closer to completion. And by the looks of things, the building is going to be one of the nicest in the league, should an NHL team ever return to Quebec’s capital.

In a photo released by Le Journal De Quebec, and taken by photographer Stevens Leblanc, you can get a full glimpse inside the arena and take a look at the locations of the press boxes, the private suites and the location of where the ice surface will be. Really, there’s something breathtaking about the way the rink looks at this stage:

Quebec-Arena-Inside.jpg

(Click image to enlarge)

“It’s impressive,” former Quebec Nordiques defenseman Dave Pichette told Kevin Dube. “I think the city and the region will be lucky to have this new building. The Colisée Pepsi did the job, but they are two different worlds. We want to have a hockey club, but we can also accommodate other large events.”

And with this new rink, that’s the plan. While there’s no indication that a team relocating to Quebec City is imminent, nor has there been much concrete talk of expansion to the city, it seems unlikely that the arena will go without a professional tenant for long.

It’s entirely possible Quebec City goes a similar route to Winnipeg, taking on an AHL franchise for several years, proving they’re an NHL ready city before actually attempting to bring a team to the former home of the Nordiques. For seven years, Winnipeg’s MTS Centre was a 15,000-plus seat arena hosting the AHL’s Manitoba Moose before True North Sports and Entertainment locked up the Atlanta Thrashers in a relocation deal that brought the team to Winnipeg.

Whatever does end up happening, we can’t wait for the first major hockey event at the Videotron Centre.

If you’re looking for more photos, head over to the Facebook page containing construction photos of the building.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/get-your-first-look-inside-the-nearly-complete-quebec-city-arena/

What do you think? Do you think Quebec will get an NHL or AHL team first, or even a team at all?

So if the NHL declines the city's request for a new team, do they just abandon the project, or finish it and use it as the home rink for a junior team?

Yep, pretty fancy for a junior rink. Looks like an upgrade over Hamilton's eh.

Now all they need is an anglophone neighborhood for the players to feel comfortable living in. Bonne chance!

There is no way Quebec City doesn't get an NHL team.

The only questions really are, when and will it be by moving an existing team or by expansion.

No way it's too small of a city. Most of us would like to see a major city like Houston or KC get a team before a tiny town like Quebec City gets one.

I think Quebec will get a team, but through expansion, not through transfer. There is too much money that the NHL can make through expansion fees for Quebec.

Don't be surprised if, when Seattle is ready, that they wind up with a transfer from another area.

No way it's too small of a city. Most of us would like to see a major city like Houston or KC get a team before a tiny town like Quebec City gets one.

Quebec city is bigger than Winnipeg. Plus, there are 8 millions people living in Quebec compare to 1.2 millions in Manitoba. A lot of these people will come to Nordiques games as it's impossible to go to a Habs game without spending a fortune. And I'm not even counting people in Maritimes which have to drive all the way to Boston or Montreal to see a game...

I think Quebec will get a team, but through expansion, not through transfer. There is too much money that the NHL can make through expansion fees for Quebec.

Don't be surprised if, when Seattle is ready, that they wind up with a transfer from another area.

I'm not sure Quebecor is ready to pay 500 millions for a team.

What do you think? Do you think Quebec will get an NHL or AHL team first, or even a team at all?

I don't think we have anything to prove. The Remparts have an average attendance of 10 000 people. It's the most popular junior team in the country. The Colisée was always a sellout even during the "famous" 31 points season.

speak for yourself bettman boy. the last thing we need is another redundant city with no hockey tradition

Gotta start somewhere backwards boy. And besides Houston has had the Aeros for a long time, is a massive city, Dallas has shown Texas is good for hockey, and most southern markets are a success so far with successful franchises. It's Canadian markets that fail: maroons, winnipeg (twice actually), quebec city, etc etc. Noticing a theme here?? I hope so...

Quebec city is bigger than Winnipeg. Plus, there are 8 millions people living in Quebec compare to 1.2 millions in Manitoba. A lot of these people will come to Nordiques games as it's impossible to go to a Habs game without spending a fortune. And I'm not even counting people in Maritimes which have to drive all the way to Boston or Montreal to see a game...

This post although I disagree with it generally, has sense to it. If I lived there I'd be horrified at the Habs option as well. Just about any new team is a chance to cheer for a real hockey team.

East-West is already unbalanced. To this day I still think the re-structuring of the divisions literally could have been as easy as 1-2-3.

First of all, only one of Detroit and Columbus should have been moved east.

Personally, this is what I would have done:

Scrap the wild card BS, stick with the old divisions.

Winnipeg would have been moved from the SE division to the NW division.

Nashville would be moved from C division to the SE division. (Winn goes west, Nash goes east, conf. are balanced)

Colorado is moved from the NW division to the C division.

Less travel for all 3 teams. I thought of this before the Jets' first season even began.

I'll say it now and I'll say it a million times over, the NHL and especially Bettman over-think and over-complicate everything they do.

But no now we can't expand into the east without either;

a. Relocating a team already in east (*cough* florida *cough*) or

b. Rearrange the divisions/conferences yet again.

What a joke the restructuring was. I hate it.

^

I proposed something back then that made more sense, but only a few people agreed...

If they had gone with my way, it would have looked something like this:

WEST

Pacific Division:
Anaheim
Arizona
Los Angeles
San Jose
Vancouver

Midwest Division:
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Minnesota
Winnipeg

Central Division:
Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Pittsburgh
St. Louis

EAST
Atlantic Division:
Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto

Metropolitan Division:
New Jersey
New York (I)
New York ®
Philadelphia
Washington

Gulf Division:
Carolina
Dallas
Florida
Nashville
Tampa Bay

It's geographically based, and you have to admit, a Gulf Division would have been pretty cool.

^

I proposed something back then that made more sense, but only a few people agreed...

If they had gone with my way, it would have looked something like this:

WEST

Pacific Division:

Anaheim

Arizona

Los Angeles

San Jose

Vancouver

Midwest Division:

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

Minnesota

Winnipeg

Central Division:

Chicago

Columbus

Detroit

Pittsburgh

St. Louis

EAST

Atlantic Division:

Boston

Buffalo

Montreal

Ottawa

Toronto

Metropolitan Division:

New Jersey

New York (I)

New York ®

Philadelphia

Washington

Gulf Division:

Carolina

Dallas

Florida

Nashville

Tampa Bay

It's geographically based, and you have to admit, a Gulf Division would have been pretty cool.

These divisions actually arent that bad. Poor Arizona and Columbus, their divisions would eat them alive.

Gotta start somewhere backwards boy. And besides Houston has had the Aeros for a long time, is a massive city, Dallas has shown Texas is good for hockey, and most southern markets are a success so far with successful franchises. It's Canadian markets that fail: maroons, winnipeg (twice actually), quebec city, etc etc. Noticing a theme here?? I hope so...

what is team success gotta to do with what i said? those teams can win the stanley cup multiple times but the fact is hockey will always be an afterthought in cities like dallas, nashville, denver, anaheim, tampa etc.

and before you give me the classic "but they have a passionate fanbase that follows the team" crap, take a look at the tv ratings bettman jr.

These divisions actually arent that bad. Poor Arizona and Columbus, their divisions would eat them alive.

Not to mention us!

That arena looks stunning though. Really close to the action and atmospheric.

what is team success gotta to do with what i said? those teams can win the stanley cup multiple times but the fact is hockey will always be an afterthought in cities like dallas, nashville, denver, anaheim, tampa etc.

and before you give me the classic "but they have a passionate fanbase that follows the team" crap, take a look at the tv ratings bettman jr.

About the successful franchise part, that was one of my many arguments used to show why the southern markets deserve a team before a guaranteed failure comes to Quebec City. And don't feed me the BS about the league being against Canadian or northern teams as the commissioner of the entire league not only gave a team to tiny town Winnipeg he also attended and enjoyed their first ever playoff game this year. He sure hates Canada!

And PS just because my last name happens to be Bettman has nothing to do with the league and their remarkably excellent expansion decisions over the past 25 years and certainly doesn't mean you can call me Jr.

Archived