The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Get Naked Finals

nucklehead

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/mother-outraged-over-daughters-naked-art-exam-at-ucsd-10244269.html

Art students at an American university have been told that they should get naked during an assessment for a class, and one student's mother has complained about the unusual course requirement.

One element of a performance art-based module, which makes up part of the visual arts course at the University of California San Diego (UCSD), requires students to perform three short performances, one of which is about the "nude/naked self".

Students are told that they can perform this piece in multiple different ways, and don't have to remove their clothes - but many students, and the teacher, choose to be naked during the performances, which take place in front of the whole class.

One student's mother called a local news station to register her complaints about the piece of assessment, claiming that students are forced to be naked if they want to pass.

Speaking to KGTV, the mother said: "it's just wrong".

"It bothers me, I'm not sending her to school for this."

She claims her daughter is being forced into getting naked to pass the exam. She said: "to say 'you must be naked to pass this class', it makes me sick to my stomach."

The mother, who asked to remain unnamed, said that students were only told about the nature of the exam recently.

However, the professor who teaches the class, Ricardo Dominguez, said that students are told about the final assessment at the start of the course, and if they are uncomfortable with the exam, "they should not take the class."

Dominguez explained that the nudity was important, saying the naked body is "the standard canvas for performance art and body art."

The mother said her daughter fears she will be "humiliated" if she has to get naked for the exam.

Students are told that they can perform this piece in multiple different ways, and don't have to remove their clothes -

Ricardo Dominguez, said that students are told about the final assessment at the start of the course, and if they are uncomfortable with the exam, "they should not take the class."

The mother said her daughter fears she will be "humiliated" if she has to get naked for the exam.

Well then tell your daughter not to get naked dip$&!#.

That is messed right up. This prof needs some help.

Also, I wonder how old this student is that her mommy is going public with it. Shouldnt you be standing up for yourself by the time you're university age?

I think the mother is overreacting. This is upper-level university, these are adults, and nudity has been a part of art for hundreds to thousands of years. The nudity is completely optional, it doesn't have to be in the literal sense, and it's done in a dark room. As long as students were informed about the nature of the assignment early on, I don't see a problem.

so sad........such a hypocritical prudish society we live in lol. f your uncomfortable with this class don't join it lol.

Or actually pay attention in class, read the syllabus, talk to your classmates, etc. Another possibility is that her daughter never actually took the class at all, and this mother just heard about it from someone else and wants to stir the pot. Why would she go to the news first instead of talking to the school?

I mean this professor has been conducting the class for 11 years and has been completely open about it. She's the one with no credibility here, and she should perhaps gain a more mature attitude and a better understanding of art.

Has anyone ever thought that perhaps this young women may have body issues or has past issues with sexual assult or something like that which would make her not want to take the final? Call me a prude but really there should be some other way the students can take the class and not have to 'strip' down.

I am kind disgusted that you all seem to be taking the professors side of things.

No one should be made to take off there clothes if they don't want to, and to make this as a final in a university class is beyond disgusting.

Has anyone ever thought that perhaps this young women may have body issues or has past issues with sexual assult or something like that which would make her not want to take the final? Call me a prude but really there should be some other way the students can take the class and not have to 'strip' down.

I am kind disgusted that you all seem to be taking the professors side of things.

No one should be made to take off there clothes if they don't want to, and to make this as a final in a university class is beyond disgusting.

its fun

I'd be on the students side if she was forced to take the class and forced to get naked... NEITHER of which is happening... I'm kinda disgusted at your lack of reading abilities :P

If you have those kinds of problems, and you know the final will be an issue, why would you take the course in the first place?

Also - lets not forget, the student isn't the one complaining here... it's her mother

I'd be on the students side if she was forced to take the class and forced to get naked... NEITHER of which is happening... I'm kinda disgusted at your lack of reading abilities :P

If you have those kinds of problems, and you know the final will be an issue, why would you take the course in the first place?

Also - lets not forget, the student isn't the one complaining here... it's her mother

core of the problem

Archived