The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(PROPOSAL) Another Edmonton idea

Doesn't benefit us at all, but still fun to predict what Chiarelli might do...so here goes:

DEAL 1: Eberle to NYI for Hamonic and 2016 1st (should be a middle pick)

Why EDM does deal - obvious help on blueline + Yakupov steps up + (2) 1st RD picks next year

Why NYI does deal - you're kidding right? Tavares with Eberle on his wing...lights out.

DEAL 2: Draisaitl and PIT 1st (16 O/A) to CAR for Cam Ward

Why EDM does deal - again, obvious...need starter (Ward + Scrivens as backup) and with McSaviour coming to town it makes Leon expendable.

Why CAR does deal - Ward has 1 year left and feels it's time to move on. What better place than back to Alberta where he grew up and played for the Rebels. E.Staal may also be thinking it's time to move on so move brother Jordan up to 1st line and slide Leon into #2 spot. You also free up a boat load of cash to go after Niemi and add some additional D-depth (which they are sorely lacking).

So in the end EDM adds a top 4 D and a starter G plus defers their extra 1st RD pick to next year.

Boy, not much love for ol' Ward-o on here. I think with a fresh start in his old stompin' grounds might be enough for him to return to his Stanley Cup / Conn Smythe / IIHF Gold Medal winning ways. I know it was almost a decade ago but he's only 31 and heading into a contract year so....

Oil may want to do that, but Johnny T already has Okposo and Strome as options for right wing running mates. Not sure why the Islanders would need to add another top-6 guy when they're pretty stacked already up front.

Also yeah, that's too much for Ward. I'd think if anything, they might sell him off for cheap. Not for Leon.

I'm not sure if the Isles do the Hamonic deal. He's an underrated d-man. They might rather give up a 3rd instead of a first.

The Ward deal is an over payment for Edmonton. Ward is 31 now. He's not old, but he's not young anymore either. Honestly the 16th overall and a 3rd or 4th rounder would be enough for Ward. Either that or Draisaitl and a 5th.

Boy, not much love for ol' Ward-o on here. I think with a fresh start in his old stompin' grounds might be enough for him to return to his Stanley Cup / Conn Smythe / IIHF Gold Medal winning ways. I know it was almost a decade ago but he's only 31 and heading into a contract year so....

He's been so so for a few years now so this isn't a blip on the radar or a result of Carolina being really terrible. He's not going to garner much interest at his current cap and you won't see teams trying to fix their goaltending situations by bringing him in.

Archived