The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Cody Hodgson Could Be Bought Out

An internet tough guy is somebody who threatens people through a keyboard. I've never threatened anybody over the internet in my life.

I haven't been "ripping on you". I've just made the observation that you're a drama queen. That's a fact, nothing more and nothing less.

lol. hows your pace ?

Why would we do that?

Consider that our prospects have to play a complete game before they will be given a slot. Jensen has been taken off the top lines and has to learn to play support role before he will be called up. We are not going to gift a spot to Cody just to satisfy fans who can't let go. Hodgson would not fit here. Years later so many still have to get over it!!!!!!

Well they are prospects for a reason they don't play in the NHL to start with.

Anyways as I explained before, Hodgson whether you want to accept it or not is still an offensive skilled player. We saw lots of that when he was here, he has great hands and has very good vision on the ice, who is also great at setting players up. Hodgson would be a great player with someone who is a natural goal scorer, this is why he did so well in Buffalo at first. When he was playing with Vanek, who is a goal scorer and it showed they worked well, but once Vanek was traded Hodgsons numbers starting going down the drain. Then you throw on top of that a team who is wanting too lose this year, doesn't make you really want to play that hard. This is why I believe Hodgson would work well with Vrbata, someone who is a natural goal scorer. Hodgson would be able to find him and you need someone who can finish and that is Vrbata, I do believe it would work, and this is why I have him slated on that line with Vrbata that's the key.

I disagree. Vey actually works - you can glimpse him engaging in puck battles, playing responsible hockey inside his own blue line - doesn't have that vacant, perpetually floating element to his game. I'd take him anyday over the aloof one.

Yeah he has more hustle to his game but thats about it, aside from being faster.

Its not like Cody has always been a lazy player or is now, I think he just stopped focusing on development and tried to take on too much too soon and suffered overall as a result, he was coming along nicely with us before & he has been applauded for his character & work ethic in the past. I don't think he's entirely a lost cause and he certainly has the skill to help this team out offensively, more than Vey can.

...and then injured Kesler didn't want to step aside and heal. Hodgson complained as it didn't make sense. Kesler collaborated in the team's long term demise by sending Hodgson out of town.

Cody wasn't ready to take on Kesler's workload, that much is clear.

- Years later, at this point neither Cody Hodgson nor Zack Kassian are legit NHLers. Hmmm.. Perhaps we were oversold on both players all along?

How are niether legit NHLers?

Yeah he has more hustle to his game but thats about it, aside from being faster.

Its not like Cody has always been a lazy player or is now, I think he just stopped focusing on development and tried to take on too much too soon and suffered overall as a result, he was coming along nicely with us before & he has been applauded for his character & work ethic in the past. I don't think he's entirely a lost cause and he certainly has the skill to help this team out offensively, more than Vey can.

Cody wasn't ready to take on Kesler's workload, that much is clear.

How are niether legit NHLers?

Pretty sure his team just started to tank and he didnt see the point in trying until it was over and now its over murray is using him to try not to look like as big of a stooge

Pretty sure his team just started to tank and he didnt see the point in trying until it was over and now its over murray is using him to try not to look like as big of a stooge

It's a theory that fits very well with Murray's late season comment that Hodgson's scoring went with his ice time and opportunity to someone else and he's a "good soldier". Direct quote on the "good soldier".

Interesting thing for a GM to say of his team's leading scorer the year before who is magically stuck in the doghouse no matter how many career grinder AHL call-ups are needed to fill roster spots toward the end....

So he basically earned 4.5 million dollars and didn't even try at his job.

Thank god we traded him.

Murray has already said that he is going to tender Grigorenko a qualifying offer. It will be up to Bylsma to decide how he will be used.

Darcy Regier put a large dent in Grigorenko's development, so I wouldn't mind seeing him moved to the wing either.

Yeah, um, I think the Regier contribution to the issue has been beaten to death, hasn't it? Not sure Girgorenko would make any more of a smooth transition from natural center to wing than Hodgson did when stuffed into the role, but who knows.

Not really my question either, or even general train of thought (which went of course to the many variables still in play re: center slots for Buffalo), but oh well.

It's a theory that fits very well with Murray's late season comment that Hodgson's scoring went with his ice time and opportunity to someone else and he's a "good soldier". Direct quote on the "good soldier".

Interesting thing for a GM to say of his team's leading scorer the year before who is magically stuck in the doghouse no matter how many career grinder AHL call-ups are needed to fill roster spots toward the end....

It makes it even more interesting that the goal in the "assumed" tanking was to get either one of McDavid or Eichel. Acquiring either of those guys drops Hodgson to 2C (at best), and possibly even lower, or perhaps right off the Sabres (ie. traded).

So, was Hodgson not trying because he was being a "good soldier" and doing what was best for the team, or was the GM covering for Hodgson who was sulking because he could see the writing on the wall, or was the GM putting the best face on the situation in hopes of unloading Hodgson during the off season?

regards,

G.

So he basically earned 4.5 million dollars and didn't even try at his job.

Thank god we traded him.

Well, you kinda missed the whole context of circumstances to arrive at the overly simplistic "$4.5 and didn't even try", but oh well. (ps: it's not $4.5 ether, but hey, facts are only facts too).

But the trade is amusing all this time later... traded a kid who lost more than a year of development from a misdiagnosed and mismanaged back injury and who may now not ever truly "recover" his career from it - for another kid whose development trajectory is screwed up by a lingering back injury. Go figure.

It makes it even more interesting that the goal in the "assumed" tanking was to get either one of McDavid or Eichel. Acquiring either of those guys drops Hodgson to 2C (at best), and possibly even lower, or perhaps right off the Sabres (ie. traded).

So, was Hodgson not trying because he was being a "good soldier" and doing what was best for the team, or was the GM covering for Hodgson who was sulking because he could see the writing on the wall, or was the GM putting the best face on the situation in hopes of unloading Hodgson during the off season?

regards,

G.

Well, personally I think the "good solider" reference was, in its context and timing, a diplomatic comment between having a player's back and not wanting to (again) outright question a coaching decision.

But who knows. We probably never really will be able to do more than guess between the lines of theories. Until Nolan publishes his autobiography :lol:

Yeah, um, I think the Regier contribution to the issue has been beaten to death, hasn't it? Not sure Girgorenko would make any more of a smooth transition from natural center to wing than Hodgson did when stuffed into the role, but who knows.

Not really my question either, or even general train of thought (which went of course to the many variables still in play re: center slots for Buffalo), but oh well.

Regier's mishandling of the team over many years will always be brought up for a long time by Sabres fans. You'll have to get used to it.

I'm not sure what you're asking about. Murray tendered what I assume is a two-way contract so he at least keeps Grigorenko's rights no matter where he goes.

Grigorenko wants a one-way contract that he never earned. It sounds like he's going back on his word about not wanting to play in the KHL. I'm not sure I can really blame him though.

If there's any NHL team willing to risk giving Grigorenko a one-way contract and willing to pay the compensatory price to the Sabres, now is the time for them to do it.

Well they are prospects for a reason they don't play in the NHL to start with.

Anyways as I explained before, Hodgson whether you want to accept it or not is still an offensive skilled player. We saw lots of that when he was here, he has great hands and has very good vision on the ice, who is also great at setting players up. Hodgson would be a great player with someone who is a natural goal scorer, this is why he did so well in Buffalo at first. When he was playing with Vanek, who is a goal scorer and it showed they worked well, but once Vanek was traded Hodgsons numbers starting going down the drain. Then you throw on top of that a team who is wanting too lose this year, doesn't make you really want to play that hard. This is why I believe Hodgson would work well with Vrbata, someone who is a natural goal scorer. Hodgson would be able to find him and you need someone who can finish and that is Vrbata, I do believe it would work, and this is why I have him slated on that line with Vrbata that's the key.

You just described Alexander Semin to a tee in that post.

In his first full season, he played great and had plenty of ice time. This past season, it was just the opposite. He showed very little effort even when the Sabres went on a 10-3 run. He wasn't forced into any minutes. Just the opposite, his TOI was way down from the previous year. 3rd/4th liners don't get loads of ice time.

Was that the lockout shortened season? To be fair even Toronto was "good" that year.

Archived