The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[video] 2015 Draft Preview with JB: "hoping at add at least a 2nd round pick"

TheRussianRocket.

Cassels Vrbata and a pick for Weber lost me.

Virtanen Edler and Horvat would be the price for Weber

Stop playing NHL 15

Don't kid yourself. The Preds would like to get that contract off their books even if they wont say it. They have good d-men by the spades with Jones, Josi and Ellis. They have very little in the way of young promising centers. Aside from Forsberg they are thinner than Jared after a subway diet at the pivot position. Weber could be had for the right price, and I do believe its lesser than most would think

The first part is ok.

Schneider>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lack for reason that have been exampled in a million other threads

you're again saying 21+(20-30) = 9th overall. that is a GROSS under esitmation of the value of the 9th overall pick. Would you trade 9th overall for two picks in the 20's? if so i'm glad you're not the GM of the Canucks/any NHL team

Why do you think Lack is so crappy? I think there are a lot of teams who would pony up a fare amount for him. STL, SJS, Buff, Edm, NYI and possibly Minn all need goalies. You think Lack is so undesirable?

No it won't. At the tradedeadline the Cap isn't that much of a issue because more is made available since the season is 3/4 done. IE 4 million in cap at the beginning becomes 7million at the trade deadline.

Also i wonder what Vrbata did to piss off Desjardins. Vrbata still has a NTC/NMC and can pick the teams he can go to plus it damages the teams ability to sign UFA's in the future. The only way Vrbata is getting traded is if he demands a trade

Trading a pending UFA at the deadline doesnt hurt our rep with UFAs, its the norm. He's got a limited/modified NTC, which is really a non issue since he'll likely pick contenders for his list and contenders are exactly who will be looking to trade for him at the deadline.

Why do you think Lack is so crappy? I think there are a lot of teams who would pony up a fare amount for him. STL, SJS, Buff, Edm, NYI and possibly Minn all need goalies. You think Lack is so undesirable?

I don't see any team ponying up the fare for him......... Lack is a #1 but won't be the guy who plays 60+ games a year. These guys are pretty easy to aquire (Halak, Dubnyk ETC) whether it's via trade or UFA. You are grossly overvaluing Lack, he has showed no signs of being a superstar like Schnieder did in his time in Vancouver.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself because i have stated at least 3 times he is not superstar material. Also NYI has some really good goaltending prospects who are 1-2 years away. Halak is good enough to get them into the playoffs until the other guys are ready.

Lack is only worth a low first to the right team. All of which are in our division/conference.

Buffalo could pony up their 2nd or first, I could also see Toronto during the same. But stating a goalie who is one of many on the market is worth a mid first is ridiculous.

Lehner and Talbot are both in the same class as Lack so if they price is too high teams will go look at another option. They could also sign Niemi and trade for Bernier (who is rumoured to be available) (IMO is what Lack will be like Niemi) so there is still a good amount of goalies who you can get for cheaper than a first

Trading a pending UFA at the deadline doesnt hurt our rep with UFAs, its the norm. He's got a limited/modified NTC, which is really a non issue since he'll likely pick contenders for his list and contenders are exactly who will be looking to trade for him at the deadline.

OP was talking about trading him during the offseason

I really think JB's best bet to get better is to move up into the top ten or trade Markstrom + for a top 2 d-man

EG.

Trade #1

Markstrom/Lack + 23 OA to SJ

for

9th OA + 3rd rnd pick

Trade #2

Bieksa + 4th rnd pick to Colorado

for

2nd rnd pick(40th OA)

Trade #3

Vrbata + Cassels + 40th OA to Nashville

for

Shea Weber

If JB cant get a pick in the top ten and trade #23 oa for a top 2 dman

If JB cant get 2nd and 3rd picks then players who can be a part of the re-tool/re-build is always an option. Either way Benning needs to turn this roster over and fast

These values are all very far off and your end result makes zero sense. Nashville wants to win now not trade away their most valuable and important player for rebuild pieces and a pending UFA vet.

OP was talking about trading him during the offseason

Not really much difference between trading him the offseason before and at the deadline when the player is a pending UFA. They are both common scenarios.

Not really much difference between trading him the offseason before and at the deadline when the player is a pending UFA. They are both common scenarios.

It's not common to trade a guy who just signed a contract last offseason. Trade deadline is another beast

These values are all very far off and your end result makes zero sense. Nashville wants to win now not trade away their most valuable and important player for rebuild pieces and a pending UFA vet.

I have no doubt Nashville wants to win now. However, two of their top three centers are 35 years old. Have you had a look at Fishers' and Ribiero's birth certificates recently? Wanting to win now and being able to win now are two separate things

Yeah there is.

A lot of teams that are in the playoff hunt will be looking to improve their team at the deadline in some way. Some teams will be willing to sacrifice their future in order to help them in the playoffs.

Teams have FA in the off-season to improve their teams. They wouldn't give as much as they would at trade deadline when a lot of teams are looking to improve.

I don't see any team ponying up the fare for him......... Lack is a #1 but won't be the guy who plays 60+ games a year. These guys are pretty easy to aquire (Halak, Dubnyk ETC) whether it's via trade or UFA. You are grossly overvaluing Lack, he has showed no signs of being a superstar like Schnieder did in his time in Vancouver.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself because i have stated at least 3 times he is not superstar material. Also NYI has some really good goaltending prospects who are 1-2 years away. Halak is good enough to get them into the playoffs until the other guys are ready.

Lack is only worth a low first to the right team. All of which are in our division/conference.

Buffalo could pony up their 2nd or first, I could also see Toronto during the same. But stating a goalie who is one of many on the market is worth a mid first is ridiculous.

Lehner and Talbot are both in the same class as Lack so if they price is too high teams will go look at another option. They could also sign Niemi and trade for Bernier (who is rumoured to be available) (IMO is what Lack will be like Niemi) so there is still a good amount of goalies who you can get for cheaper than a first

Once Talbot and Lehner are scooped up then Lack becomes the next best thing. Its like JB said, the first domino has to fall. I may be over valuing Lack but you are under valuing him. He definitely can play 60 games in this league and he will do very well in the process

Once Talbot and Lehner are scooped up then Lack becomes the next best thing. Its like JB said, the first domino has to fall. I may be over valuing Lack but you are under valuing him. He definitely can play 60 games in this league and he will do very well in the process

Who am I under valuing him? Did you even read my post?

Weber is owed 30 million in signing bonuses over the next three years and he has a cap hit of 7.8 mill over the next ten years. In a couple years the Preds wont be able to give him away. He isn't the same player he was at the 2010 olyimpics. He is still and elite talent but man his contract is a huge pill to swollow

Weber is owed 30 million in signing bonuses over the next three years and he has a cap hit of 7.8 mill over the next ten years. In a couple years the Preds wont be able to give him away. He isn't the same player he was at the 2010 olyimpics. He is still and elite talent but man his contract is a huge pill to swollow

Still a top 5 defenseman

Still a top 5 defenseman

Oh for sure but its a salary cap world now and Webers best years may be behind him. Nashville is a small market team and 30 mill in bonuses ( 13 mill this year ) is a lot. If the Preds were thin on D then this wouldn't be a topic but they have 3 young studs in Jones, Ellis, and Josi to turn to so losing Weber would be palatable if the return was favorable. If I'm Poile I would look at moving him for a young stud center to pair with Forsberg to form a great 1-2 punch down the middle

Oh for sure but its a salary cap world now and Webers best years may be behind him. Nashville is a small market team and 30 mill in bonuses ( 13 mill this year ) is a lot. If the Preds were thin on D then this wouldn't be a topic but they have 3 young studs in Jones, Ellis, and Josi to turn to so losing Weber would be palatable if the return was favorable. If I'm Poile I would look at moving him for a young stud center to pair with Forsberg to form a great 1-2 punch down the middle

Favourable isn't Cassels Vrbata and a pick

Yeah there is.

A lot of teams that are in the playoff hunt will be looking to improve their team at the deadline in some way. Some teams will be willing to sacrifice their future in order to help them in the playoffs.

Teams have FA in the off-season to improve their teams. They wouldn't give as much as they would at trade deadline when a lot of teams are looking to improve.

You got the context totally wrong. I agree there is a difference in value between the two dates. What we were talking about was whether or not it makes us less desirable to UFAs if we were to trade him during the summer as opposed to the upcoming deadline. Its a moot point anyways, because JB isnt going to trade him before the deadline unless some absurd offer comes along.

Archived