The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Sports and Entertainment IS A BUSINESS.

BanTSN

The Canucks Sports and Entertainment company is here to provide us, the paying fans, with goods (entertainment in all forms related to Canucks (and Comets) hockey) and services (multiple avenues related to delivering said content to the paying fans) in exchange for money.

This company as it is, founded by John McCaw, and is now owned by the Aquilini family, has delivered top-notch quality sports and entertainment experiences to the fans for over two decades.

In that span we the paying fans have seen the Canucks 'franchise players', Henrik & Daniel Sedin, lead the league in regular season scoring and becoming mvp players for a few years in a row.

We the paying fans have also seen Markus Naslund become an mvp player in this time.

We have seen more playoff rounds won than any other Canadian team in that span.

We have seen other players such as Ryan Kesler, Todd Bertuzzi, Ed Jovanovski, Roberto Luongo, Alex Burrows, Matthias Ohlund, Kevin Bieksa and Trevor Linden all dazzle us with effort and warm our hearts while they play the game played on a sheet of ice, night by night.

The Canucks Sports and Entertainment company has become one of the most successful Sports and Entertainment companies in the country, perhaps following the Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment quality, in terms of sports and entertainment experiences being delivered to the fans in this country. While those experiences in Toronto over this period might not include as much winning games in the playoffs as we have enjoyed here in Vancouver, the fans are still paying top-dollar for quality sports and entertainment experiences there. The Toronto Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment company is very successful, and the Canucks Sports and Entertainment company is very successful.

We as the paying fans should be very happy that this company has been as successful as it has been, both on and off the ice. The represent a big part of what Vancouver is all about. Through charities like Canuck Place, to giving each and every fan a sounding board through all sorts of avenues if they so choose, and of course, delivering top quality sports and entertainment experiences in Rogers Arena, in Vancouver, each and every game night.

I guess the reason I am posting this is to remind everyone here at the Canucks.com fan forum just how successful this company, this team, has been over the years spanning into decades. No, it has not translated to a Stanley Cup win or wins as of yet, but that time may come. So sit back, relax, have another beer, and enjoy the game and how entertaining it has been and always will be here for us the paying fans for all these past and upcoming years.

Thank you.

Great post and isn't that the truth!

If a team is going to tank (which I think we should) there are two things you should not do:

1) Spend to the cap. Millions of dollars saved in labour costs (players' salaries) can help offset ticket and merchandise losses. Unfortunately Benning has spent to the cap.

2) Get rid of fan favorites. People won't be spending a lot of money to see a team lose every night, but having fan favorites will still bring people in the door and help sell merchandise. Getting rid of Bieska and Lack doesn't help this problem.

I think this will be a very tough season for the Canucks performance-wise and financially. I can't see the ownership being happy with Benning in a year's time.

If a team is going to tank (which I think we should) there are two things you should not do:

1) Spend to the cap. Millions of dollars saved in labour costs (players' salaries) can help offset ticket and merchandise losses. Unfortunately Benning has spent to the cap.

2) Get rid of fan favorites. People won't be spending a lot of money to see a team lose every night, but having fan favorites will still bring people in the door and help sell merchandise. Getting rid of Bieska and Lack doesn't help this problem.

I think this will be a very tough season for the Canucks performance-wise and financially. I can't see the ownership being happy with Benning in a year's time.

The team will be just as good as last year, just everyone else got better. Playoffs will be tough to get into

The team will be just as good as last year, just everyone else got better. Playoffs will be tough to get into

How do you figure:

Our Goaltending will be worse:

Miller is a year older and coming off an injury

Markstrom is less proven as a backup vs Lack

Our Defense will be at best the same:

Hamhuis is older and we will have young guys holding the bottom 3 spots, not much depth if an injury occurs to the top 3.

Our Forwards will be worse:

Sedins, Higgins, Burrows, Vrbata are all getting older.

Dorsett, Hansen, Boninio will be the same.

The only hope is that Horvat, Baertschi and Vey take a huge step forward which is more wishful thinking than anything.

And yes our division and conference got way better. The only teams who I think really more likely to finish below us in the west at this point are Arizona and Colorado and that may not even be a lock. I expect a bottom 6 finish in the league by the Canucks (and I will be disappointed if we finish any higher).

How do you figure:

Our Goaltending will be worse:

Miller is a year older and coming off an injury

Markstrom is less proven as a backup vs Lack

Our Defense will be at best the same:

Hamhuis is older and we will have young guys holding the bottom 3 spots, not much depth if an injury occurs to the top 3.

Our Forwards will be worse:

Sedins, Higgins, Burrows, Vrbata are all getting older.

Dorsett, Hansen, Boninio will be the same.

The only hope is that Horvat, Baertschi and Vey take a huge step forward which is more wishful thinking than anything.

And yes our division and conference got way better. The only teams who I think really more likely to finish below us in the west at this point are Arizona and Colorado and that may not even be a lock. I expect a bottom 6 finish in the league by the Canucks (and I will be disappointed if we finish any higher).

Goaltending will be the same

Defence will be the same

Forwards will be similar, while guys are getting older even though I don't see their performances decreasing a whole heck of a lot, also Vey Horvat Baertschi will all be older too

Compare to Chicago Blackhawks ticket price, Vancouver ticket price is among the most expensive. Why pay more and get absolutely no championship result? Problem with NHL is every team has monopoly over the city. No other organization can start creating their own team and compete. If we have 100+ teams, then this will result in better pricing. They should follow what European Football is doing. If you don't show result and tank on purpose, you relegated to minor league and lose your endorsement. This is a much sound solution.

Archived