The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

94 year old former Auschwitz bookkeeper jailed for 4 years

Armada

That's good. That makes you stronger. Don't be so quick to cast judgement on others because they are too scared, unsure, etc. though.

You state this ? After what you said to Chalky you are being hypocritical.

The only personal judgement I have made in this thread was about Dr.S , and that was a positive one.

That's good. That makes you stronger. Don't be so quick to cast judgement on others because they are too scared, unsure, etc. though.

I am a qualified internet judge.

I also have an internet badge of bravery.

Don't mess.

Hitler would stand no chance against me. I'd stand there staring down the barrel of a gun. Hitler and his cronies would see the power I possess and drop their weapons, while I stand atop the world, just another anon.

Then I grab a gun and blow every ???? thing away.

Good on you. A lot of people love their life too much.

Respect.

Even though we have different views on some things Jizzy as i was telling Dral yesterday I like you and admire the fact that you are respectful to others .

You are a good kid.

My mother and her family fled Germany in the 40's. My grampa did whatever he could to get them out. Keep in mind going against the Reich was not really an option those days. You did what you were told or suffered the consequences. No way I justify any of the actions committed by the German military and their attempted obliteration of the Jews.

Between 1933-45 : 21 million men, women, handicapped, aged, sick, prisoners of war, forced laborers, camp inmates, critics, homosexuals, Slavs, Serbs, Germans, Czechs, Italians, Poles, French, Ukrainians, and many others. Among them 1,000,000 were children under eighteen years of age And none of these monstrous figures even include civilian and military combat or war-deaths.

When we think of Nazi killing, genocide immediately comes to mind, particularly that of "6,000,00 Jews." But they also murdered for reasons other than race or religion. For one, the Nazis slew those who opposed or hindered them, whether actually or potentially. This was why Hitler assassinated hundreds of top Nazi SA's (Sturmabteilung) in June and July 1934, who under Ernst Rohm were becoming a strong competitor to the SS (Schutzstaffel); or executed perhaps 5,000 Germans after the 1944 plot on his life and attempted coup d'etat. Indeed, it is why critics, pacifists, conscientious objectors, campus rebels, dissidents, and others throughout the twelve-year history of the regime in Germany, were executed, disappeared, or slowly died in concentration camps. The Nazis thus killed some 288,000 Germans, not counting Jews, homosexuals, and those forcibly "euthanized." If these are included, then the Nazis murdered at least 498,000 Germans, probably much higher but we will never truly know.

Sending a 94 year old man to jail solves, proves, does literally nothing for the millions who lost their lives and the families that suffered.

What does this accomplish ultimately ? If he opposed his superiors he would have been shot plain and simple. He stayed alive the only way he knew how. Following orders. What could he have possibly done ? One man against the German war machine ?

I am a qualified internet judge.

I also have an internet badge of bravery.

Don't mess.

Hitler would stand no chance against me. I'd stand there staring down the barrel of a gun. Hitler and his cronies would see the power I possess and drop their weapons, while I stand atop the world, just another anon.

Then I grab a gun and blow every ???? thing away.

And thats encapsulates you right there, some smart arse comments or a pathetic GIf in lieu of actual facts.

My mother and her family fled Germany in the 40's. My grampa did whatever he could to get them out. Keep in mind going against the Reich was not really an option those days. You did what you were told or suffered the consequences. No way I justify any of the actions committed by the German military and their attempted obliteration of the Jews.

Between 1933-45 : 21 million men, women, handicapped, aged, sick, prisoners of war, forced laborers, camp inmates, critics, homosexuals, Slavs, Serbs, Germans, Czechs, Italians, Poles, French, Ukrainians, and many others. Among them 1,000,000 were children under eighteen years of age And none of these monstrous figures even include civilian and military combat or war-deaths.

When we think of Nazi killing, genocide immediately comes to mind, particularly that of "6,000,00 Jews." But they also murdered for reasons other than race or religion. For one, the Nazis slew those who opposed or hindered them, whether actually or potentially. This was why Hitler assassinated hundreds of top Nazi SA's (Sturmabteilung) in June and July 1934, who under Ernst Rohm were becoming a strong competitor to the SS (Schutzstaffel); or executed perhaps 5,000 Germans after the 1944 plot on his life and attempted coup d'etat. Indeed, it is why critics, pacifists, conscientious objectors, campus rebels, dissidents, and others throughout the twelve-year history of the regime in Germany, were executed, disappeared, or slowly died in concentration camps. The Nazis thus killed some 288,000 Germans, not counting Jews, homosexuals, and those forcibly "euthanized." If these are included, then the Nazis murdered at least 498,000 Germans, probably much higher but we will never truly know.

Sending a 94 year old man to jail solves, proves, does literally nothing for the millions who lost their lives and the families that suffered.

What does this accomplish ultimately ? If he opposed his superiors he would have been shot plain and simple. He stayed alive the only way he knew how. Following orders. What could he have possibly done ? One man against the German war machine ?

Still waiting on a rational response to this one..

Thus far, we've got the warriors who would take on Nazi Germany alone, or those who would take a bullet in the head, like that would make any difference either. Either way would be especially smart if one had a family at home to take care of.

There is no rational response. Each and everyone of us has no clue what we would have done during those times and circumstances. WE have no concept of the fear people were living under and how it affected their choices

edit : In my heart and mind I think I would have fought to the death knowing my ideals on justice and equality but how can I ever know this if not faced with the situation.

There is no rational response. Each and everyone of us has no clue what we would have done during those times and circumstances. WE have no concept of the fear people were living under and how it affected their choices.

Nail on the head.

There is no rational response. Each and everyone of us has no clue what we would have done during those times and circumstances. WE have no concept of the fear people were living under and how it affected their choices.

I do know what I would have done and I believe you know me well enough to judge me .

Do you believe that I would/will stand up for what i believe in no matter what the consequences ?

I do know what I would have done and I believe you know me well enough to judge me .

Do you believe that I would/will stand up for what i believe in no matter what the consequences ?

Quit being a simpleton. Unless every post you have made is a joke, your ego is clearly too inflated for rational thought.

There is no rational response. Each and everyone of us has no clue what we would have done during those times and circumstances. WE have no concept of the fear people were living under and how it affected their choices

edit : In my heart and mind I think I would have fought to the death knowing my ideals on justice and equality but how can I ever know this if not faced with the situation.

Your edit is why we are friends and why I hold you in such a high esteem.

Birds of a feather will flock together :)

Look at it from the people's perspective at the time, though. Hitler made their country great again. Propaganda is a powerful agent as well. Everyone wanted to do their part to defeat Germany's enemies, no matter who they were. Unless you were part of an underground resistance movement, you generally did your part to help the country.

Most people just think "Nazis=bad" and don't stop to consider the circumstances at the time and what they might have done in a German citizen's position.

I know, I get that. But at the same time if that was part of his defense then it's not much of one. Considering he joined the SS in early 1940, it is pretty obvious what the SS was about at that point in Germany. But if you let him go then where do you draw the line? What about those that actually engaged in killing? They too were manipulated and undoubtedly some couldn't leave for the same reasons some people here are making. We can't start making excuses for people who had a role in the largest genocide in history even if it was minor. He's just lucky the Soviets didn't catch him first. His life would've likely ended 70 years ago.

Quit being a simpleton. Unless every post you have made is a joke, your ego is clearly too inflated for rational thought.

Insults are the arguments employed by those in the wrong.

Jean Jacques Rousseu

You told me not to judge others , which i have not done yet you passed judgement on Chalky ..

You are a hypocrite

Thus far, we've got the warriors who would take on Nazi Germany alone, or those who would take a bullet in the head, like that would make any difference either. Either way would be especially smart if one had a family at home to take care of.

I already stated that I don't think that is true at all. Given I learned this in class from an instructor who has published work on this very subject. Theoretically, yeah, it appears you could refuse to take part in the camps, especially as SS, and would be relocated elsewhere doing something else. It was frowned upon but you certainly weren't executed for it (if someone has proof suggesting differently I'll concede that point). Those that didn't wanted to be apart of this or were afraid to oppose it. Anyway, it's impossible for us to try and understand what that was like for him but at the same time cannot be absolved of all responsibility.

I already stated that I don't think that is true at all. Given I learned this in class from an instructor who has published work on this very subject. Theoretically, yeah, it appears you could refuse to take part in the camps, especially as SS, and would be relocated elsewhere doing something else. It was frowned upon but you certainly weren't executed for it (if someone has proof suggesting differently I'll concede that point). Those that didn't wanted to be apart of this or were afraid to oppose it. Anyway, it's impossible for us to try and understand what that was like for him but at the same time cannot be absolved of all responsibility.

True. That's why I think 4 years is plenty. Chances are pretty good he doesn't live out the four years. But, the article did say he might not see jail time either. Normally Germans are so hypersensitive to stuff like this (my family from Munich is like, deathly afraid to talk about it), it's good to see them thinking rationally on the subject for a change.

Archived