The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Disscussion and or Proposal] Phi-VAN

I'd take a stab at one of Carolina's good young defencemen actually. They've got Faulk in for the long-haul and after drafting Hanifin, it looks like that top pairing isn't going to change for the better part of a decade.

Haydn Fleury is still a young left handed defenceman who's putting up points in junior. He was a former high first round pick but won't ever be better than Hanifin, and is still a couple of years away from the NHL. Sure, Carolina could sit on him and build a really solid defence around Hanifin, Fleury and Faulk, but we could take a chance on him now while he's still developing.

I wonder if Higgins would waive to go to Carolina?

Not that Higgins commands Fleury, but in a package...

Good target BTW.

I also think there is a deal to be struck with Jersey. They could also use a roster forward and have D prospect depth. Pitt as well, but they have less prospect depth than they used to and PHILLY.

I hate these conversation.

I mean, good target. I prob agree with others, we would not get Morin with Gaunce. Probably could get Hagg. McCann might do it. Would we?

But we could have just drafted some of these guys? Probably not Morin, as would have had to pass on Horvat and Morin went 11th overall.

Some targets left on the table;

Hagg, Theodore and Bowey were on the table when we took Shinkaruk. I would take at least 2 of these 3.

Severson when we took Mallet.

I was on record leading up to these drafts calling for these guys.

Gotisbehere instead of Mallett also? (cannot say I had him on my list then though)

I wonder if Higgins would waive to go to Carolina?

Not that Higgins commands Fleury, but in a package...

Good target BTW.

I also think there is a deal to be struck with Jersey. They could also use a roster forward and have D prospect depth. Pitt as well, but they have less prospect depth than they used to and PHILLY.

Higgins and say Anaheim's 2nd for Fleury? People would change their opinion on Benning if he pulled that off.

Higgins and say Anaheim's 2nd for Fleury? People would change their opinion on Benning if he pulled that off.

Probably more like Higgins, a first & ? A 2knd as the key value will not get a top 10 pick I don't think. And depending on the ? (Kenins or Vey I would be spculate) it would be worth it.

Consensus 2knd best D in his draft.

- McCann + Higgins might do it? Hard choice...

- Gaunce, Higgins and Sbisa, we get a 3rd back?

Nah. In the end I think Fleury is viewed as potentially just one notch down from a franchise D man. Gonna have to put up absolute quality to grab him, not quantity is my guess.

We would have to give up some serious quality to snag someone like Morin, Poulliot (untouchable now), Joe Morrow from Boston, Haydn Fleury, Gelinas or Severson from NJD.

These are top-4 defencemen who will be future first pairing defencemen on most teams. We can't give up Gaunce who is projected to become a 3rd line center at best. For a top-4 future defenceman, you need to give up a top-6 forward of around the same standing development wise. If not, you have to give up a prospect with even more potential just in case he doesn't turn out well.

For example, for the aforementioned defencemen, I'd think we'd need to trade one of Cassels or McCann, OR someone like Shinkaruk/Jensen/Boeser + a pick.

Considering our depth at wing and plethora of good two-way centers, I'd trade McCann straight up for Morin, Fleury or Severson in a heartbeat.

We would have to give up some serious quality to snag someone like Morin, Poulliot (untouchable now), Joe Morrow from Boston, Haydn Fleury, Gelinas or Severson from NJD.

These are top-4 defencemen who will be future first pairing defencemen on most teams. We can't give up Gaunce who is projected to become a 3rd line center at best. For a top-4 future defenceman, you need to give up a top-6 forward of around the same standing development wise. If not, you have to give up a prospect with even more potential just in case he doesn't turn out well.

For example, for the aforementioned defencemen, I'd think we'd need to trade one of Cassels or McCann, OR someone like Shinkaruk/Jensen/Boeser + a pick.

Considering our depth at wing and plethora of good two-way centers, I'd trade McCann straight up for Morin, Fleury or Severson in a heartbeat.

I could not agree with you more Down Unda. And although, I love McCann, I think he is the one you move, as we have an abundance of Prospect Centers, this will allow Benning to enter the 2016 draft with the knowledge he can take the BPA and not worry about whether it is another centerman, a winger or a Dman. This is where we need to move to, A much more balanced prospect pool.

Archived