The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA Discussion

BoKnows

11 hours ago, J-23 said:

I know this question doesn't have much to do with the current topic, but what are your guys thoughts on the future of centres?

Karl Anthony Towns. Joel Embid. Nikola Jokic. Still got Boogie in the league too. I like the direction centres are trending towards. Keep an eye out for Thon Maker in a couple years too. 

AD and Porizingis are really power forwards. 

11 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Are they better than he ever was though? Both combined don't have as many championships as he does at every level of the game. You also have to take into account that Bill s body took much more intense beatings as a centre with worse travel and recovery methods than seen in later eras. Blocks were barely recorded back then and there's a good chance he was a triple double machine for most of his career. 

He played in a 10 team era with all the best players. Also only needed to wim 10-14 games for the championship. Despite all that, they were barely beating Wilt Chanmberlains Lakers. 

22 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

He was playing in a much weaker league, and he was probably towering over 99% of the league. It also helped that he was on the best team at the time, hence why they made so many finals. That era can't be compared to the Jordan era or the Lebron era, as there was way more competition, with a lot more athletic players especially now.

He was in the average height for centres at that time. Celtics team was struggling harsh before he was drafted and struggled after he retired. He played against man to man on offensive studs like Wilt, Macauley, and Pettit and help defense (which hardly existed for centres in the NBA before Bill showed up) on West, Baylor, and The Big O. There may be a larger quantity of competition but the quality Bill faced and beat on a nightly basis for most of his career is far above either Jordan or Lebron. Neither Jordan nor Lebron would be able to survive the physicality of the league during those times either.

4 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

He played in a 10 team era with all the best players. Also only needed to wim 10-14 games for the championship. Despite all that, they were barely beating Wilt Chanmberlains Lakers. 

Again, he didn't play with all the best players, he made them the best team. All of those 8-10 teams had 2 or more Hall of Famers on them when Bill faced them in the playoffs and he still beat them. Also, those 11-14 games for championships weren't cakewalks like the first and second rounds of modern NBA playoffs.

I have to say Warriors are some team. Durant just makes them an even better team and obviously showed this Finals. Thompson, Curry, Green all sacrificed just so Durant could excel in the spotlight when it mattered most. Big kudos to LeBron though. He put everything out on the floor every game and averaged a triple double. Insane stuff! But KD was the difference having an amazing Finals and well deserved 1st Finals MVP. Hopefully he ditches GS to go back to OKC after his contract expires. Can't leave Westbrook hanging

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

He's better when pretending to be an old man:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKuyD4L29Fk

Uncle Drew is nuts. So hilarious. He's a legend in his own right. Love that he kept playing even when he was missing in his 1st few shots in the video. He would be one hell of a crazy uncle to have

Edited by Beary Sweet

20 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

I'm so happy Steve Kerr came back this year, what a gem. 

I also want to thank Kerr for saying Lebron and Jordan are the 2 at the top.

He's actually a really good guy, seems like a great human being.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

I also want to thank Kerr for saying Lebron and Jordan are the 2 at the top.

He's actually a really good guy, seems like a great human being.

Steve always keeps it real, right with your first statement.

• Upvote 1