The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA Discussion

BoKnows

On 9/6/2023 at 8:55 PM, Wolfgang Durst said:

that's an excellent analogy.::D He was 0/9 in the first half and had a terrible day. I really do believe that Germany has a decent chance to win the game against the United States, because this German team has a great mentality, he necessary depth for such a tournament and of course an outstanding coach in Herbert. Guys like Schröder or Franz Wagner are both NBA players and have the necessary experience when it comes to crunch time to make plays and get points. They need to bring their A-Game to beat the United States, tough.

Germany wins it against the United States with 113-111.  I knew from the beginning that the German  Team had a decent chance to win this game. Headcoach Herbert is truly a mastermind and the team has proven that it can execute a gameplan flawlessly. Key was the winning mentality and the pure determination to win it against the mighty team USA.

Congrats to Germany and Serbia for getting to the final, but color me surprised (and ignorant) for not valuing how good these Euro teams are (Serbia without Jokic, Germany with only F. Wagner and solid guys in Schroder and Theis).  Bogdanovic from Serbia in particular, with the way that he waltzes and slices through defenses is quite something, and overall something can probably said about strong fundamental team basketball.

Now I can't wait for the Olympics, where the guys would all come out to represent their teams (e.g. CAN with Wiggins/ Murray, Serbia with Jokic, Greece with Giannis...).

One thing that the announcers kept mentioning is that the game is officiated differently in International play and the Euros adapt better than North Americans.

I didn't watch enough to see all the nuances, but one thing that really stood out is the fact that they actually call traveling.....NBA refs don't even know what that is....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nba/dillon-brooks-stats-canada-forward-breaks-records-with-39-points-in-fiba-world-cup-bronze-medal-win-over-usa/ar-AA1gvrGd?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=72f3942e22394e67b8c76ccd77b7ec3d&ei=21

Dillon Brooks saved his best game for last at the 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup, leading Canada to a historic 127-118 win over Team USA in Manila, Philippines. 

Brooks was met with boos from the crowd when he arrived at the World Cup and left with MVP chants, as he poured in 39 points to lead Canada to victory in overtime, as Team USA struggled to contain his lights-out shooting from beyond the arc. 

Not only did Canada's win earn them their first-ever medal at a FIBA Basketball World Cup and their best-ever finish at the tournament, but Brooks' performance also re-wrote the record books. 

Let's take a deeper dive into Brooks' record-breaking performance.

Brooks started off by scoring Canada's first five points of the game and capped things off by scoring five of their 16 points in overtime, serving as the team's leading offensive threat wire-to-wire. 

Brooks recorded a tournament-high 39 points to go along with five assists, four rebounds, two blocks and a steal. His big night came on an efficient 12-of-18 shooting from the field, 7-of-8 from the 3-point line and 8-of-10 at the free throw line.

His 39 points also put his name in the Canadian basketball record rooks, eclipsing Carl Ridd's record for the most points scored by a Canadian in a FIBA World Cup game. 

Ridd's record stood for 69 years, scoring 37 points against the Phillippines in 1954. 

Brooks' lights-out shooting from the 3-point line put his name alongside Kevin Durant as the only other player to hit seven 3-pointers in a medal game. Durant achieved the feat in the final of the 2010 FIBA Basketball World Cup.

In securing Canada's first-ever win over Team USA in FIBA Basketball World Cup history, Brooks also holds the record for most points scored in a medal-winning game.

Brooks' 39 points are tied with Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (vs. USA) and Karl-Anthony Towns (vs. Puerto Rico) for the highest-scoring performance at the 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup.

His bronze medal heroics also have him tied for the 11th-highest single-game performance in FIBA Basketball World Cup history. 

On 9/8/2023 at 3:24 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

One thing that the announcers kept mentioning is that the game is officiated differently in International play and the Euros adapt better than North Americans.

I didn't watch enough to see all the nuances, but one thing that really stood out is the fact that they actually call traveling.....NBA refs don't even know what that is....

Oh, man, there are so many thing to say about this World cup

I would say one of the best, if not the best for the last 50 years that I follow this game.

In my opinion,  the main difference between NBA and euro basket is défense.

There is no défense  in NBA and many advanced defensive systems in Europe.

And it was proven time and time again that  défense wins championships

• Cheers 1

Unfortunately, Serbia had their best game against us, especially, on defensive side of the ball.

Against today's version of  Serbia , Canada would have a chance.

Well, to be #3 in the world, it is a great result anyway given the amount of competition guys faced over there.

So, I am proud and happy, GCG!

14 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Unfortunately, Serbia had their best game against us, especially, on defensive side of the ball.

Against today's version of  Serbia , Canada would have a chance.

Well, to be #3 in the world, it is a great result anyway given the amount of competition guys faced over there.

So, I am proud and happy, GCG!

I watched the replay and I have to say how impressed I was as Canada's resiliency...

They should have won in regulation, but a lucky bounce off a missed free throw went exactly where Mikal Bridges needed it to and allowed the Americans to tie. (Full credit to Bridges for tracking it down and making the turnaround three...it wasn't an easy shot)

A lot of teams would have folded after that, but Canada just went about their business and pretty much killed the USA's momentum, right from the start of OT.

If there was a negative for me it was Zach Edey. After an embarrassing exit in March Madness, this was a chance at some redemption. He was never going to play a lot, but when he did get opportunities, he didn't do much with them. Even at the end of regulation yesterday, when he was brought in for his size for Bridges' expected deliberate free throw miss, he was standing under the bucket, watching the ball go in...

I think he'll be fine in the long run and he certainly is Canada's big man of the future, but this wasn't much of a coming out party for ZE...

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 2