The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can We Please Have a Statement About What This Team as Presently Constructed is About

coastal.view

On 04/12/2015 at 6:07 AM, MJDDawg said:

T-R-A-N-S-I-T-I-O-N. 

It's as if many on CDC have been nodding in agreement whenever this or the "rebuild" word have been used, yet it seems like only now is the reality of what these mean hitting them.

We've had a really enjoyable 10-year run as being a very competitive team that not a lot of NHL teams get to enjoy. Yet all good things come to an end. MG left a gaping hole in our pipeline of prospects and JB is now left to try to fix it to get us back to where we were, hopefully without taking shortcuts. 

There's no sugar coating it folks, this team will be mediocre for the next couple of years at least, depending on what happens with trades and free agency.

In the meantime, I'm still going to support our team and watch every game and just enjoy the slow climb back to the top.

It remains to be seen that JB will fix the problem...don't be surprised if we're having the same conversation 5 years from now...

.., it may sound like...overpaid for aging UFAs to try and fix the problem.

JB has an excellent opportunity to fix the problem with a stable of youth and the room to select important pieces once the aging vets contracts run out (Prust, Vrbata, Burrows, Higgins, Hamhuis, Dorsett, Miller). To date,JB likes vets that are on the downside of their careers.

To fix the problem - younger, faster, stronger with a lot of upside to their career...it's about quality not quantity. Sutter is a good pickup but JB overpaid for him...which is another concern about JB.

Players that are 26 to 28 that have room to grow with the youth...can't see JB doing this. 

11 minutes ago, Pete M said:

It remains to be seen that JB will fix the problem...don't be surprised if we're having the same conversation 5 years from now...

.., it may sound like...overpaid for aging UFAs to try and fix the problem.

JB has an excellent opportunity to fix the problem with a stable of youth and the room to select important pieces once the aging vets contracts run out (Prust, Vrbata, Burrows, Higgins, Hamhuis, Dorsett, Miller). To date,JB likes vets that are on the downside of their careers.

To fix the problem - younger, faster, stronger with a lot of upside to their career...it's about quality not quantity. Sutter is a good pickup but JB overpaid for him...which is another concern about JB.

Players that are 26 to 28 that have room to grow with the youth...can't see JB doing this. 

"Players that are 26 to 28 that have room to grow with the youth.."

Guys who on our team that fit that description now: Sutter, Tanev, Sbisa. That's scary.

You can't acquire top-6/9 guys in their mid-20's with experience and upside in free agency without over-paying. And without them wanting to play here for some reason.

12 million to spend might get us 2 players that fit that description, especially if we're talking D men. 

It looks easy to solve on paper by trading away Vrbata, Burrows, Hamhuis, and Higgins, but they're going to fetch prospects for 3 or 4 years from now.

What about next season? It's hard to find versions of those guys who are 6 or 7 years younger, for our 2016-2017 lineup in free agency. A 25 year old UFA is hard to come by these days. He's probably either a prospect bust, an old man like Alex Burrows, practically a career AHL'er, or a superstar who's going somewhere not named Vancouver.

Look at some 24-27 UFA's Summer 2016:

Steve Stamkos - We know he's not coming here.

Mikkel Boedker - Interesting. Exactly the kind of guys every team wants to have more of. Makes 3.75 now. In free agency a lot of teams will be willing to pay in the 5-7 range.

Sam Gagner - Ha.

Luke Schenn - Makes 3 something now. Probably makes double that next year.

Then there's a list of guys in the early 30's; guys like Chris Stewart and Shawn Matthias, Nathan Gerbe, Lee Stempniak. Those are the scraps that we will end up having to round out our roster with.

55 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

"Players that are 26 to 28 that have room to grow with the youth.."

Guys who on our team that fit that description now: Sutter, Tanev, Sbisa. That's scary.

You can't acquire top-6/9 guys in their mid-20's with experience and upside in free agency without over-paying. And without them wanting to play here for some reason.

12 million to spend might get us 2 players that fit that description, especially if we're talking D men. 

It looks easy to solve on paper by trading away Vrbata, Burrows, Hamhuis, and Higgins, but they're going to fetch prospects for 3 or 4 years from now.

What about next season? It's hard to find versions of those guys who are 6 or 7 years younger, for our 2016-2017 lineup in free agency. A 25 year old UFA is hard to come by these days. He's probably either a prospect bust, an old man like Alex Burrows, practically a career AHL'er, or a superstar who's going somewhere not named Vancouver.

Look at some 24-27 UFA's Summer 2016:

Steve Stamkos - We know he's not coming here.

Mikkel Boedker - Interesting. Exactly the kind of guys every team wants to have more of. Makes 3.75 now. In free agency a lot of teams will be willing to pay in the 5-7 range.

Sam Gagner - Ha.

Luke Schenn - Makes 3 something now. Probably makes double that next year.

Then there's a list of guys in the early 30's; guys like Chris Stewart and Shawn Matthias, Nathan Gerbe, Lee Stempniak. Those are the scraps that we will end up having to round out our roster with.

Good point.

I don't think it's possible to fix our defence through UFA. There is no good dmen under 28 that is becoming a UFA next season. Best I can come up with is Byfuglien but then he is already 31 and will cost to much. 

Just have to draft some good dmen in the next year's draft and have to be patient. Either that or we overpay for a defenseman via trade. It's gonna be hard to fix.

people need to relax and support this team there doing just fine with all the injuries, only a couple blow outs, rather get rid of a couple more vets and bring up some of the younger guys to see if they make it, not worth losing more prospects for band-aid players, they need to keep the cap lower and charge a little less for tickets and maybe get some enthusiastic fans in there, cuz watching games in that stadium is pathetic and quiet. people need to stay off this bandwagon,

This is a freaky I have never seen it before injury riddled season which can pretty much be a throw away season and hopefully can put us in a good draft position.

As of now:  second line center is down, there is one defenceman who's played more than 200 games. Miller is gone with an injury. The number one center and captain is so banged up right now that he can't even sit on a bench. IMO They need to shut him down and get whatever injury Henrik has to be fixed so he may be able to prolong his career. 

1 hour ago, khay said:

Good point.

I don't think it's possible to fix our defence through UFA. There is no good dmen under 28 that is becoming a UFA next season. Best I can come up with is Byfuglien but then he is already 31 and will cost to much. 

Just have to draft some good dmen in the next year's draft and have to be patient. Either that or we overpay for a defenseman via trade. It's gonna be hard to fix.

In other words, they re-sign Hamhuis

46 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

In other words, they re-sign Hamhuis

Based on common sense, yes. But one thing that I've learned is that JB is not afraid to make trades (be it good or bad). He might pull one off involving Hamhuis.

There is a possibility that JB's view on Hamhuis could've changed with Hutton's emergence and he may now view Hamhuis as a redundant piece (just my guess, I could be very wrong). Maybe he will trade for a RD to pair up with Hutton and/or Sbisa (he is a LD after all) and trade Hamhuis away. 

10 minutes ago, khay said:

Based on common sense, yes. But one thing that I've learned is that JB is not afraid to make trades (be it good or bad). He might pull one off involving Hamhuis.

There is a possibility that JB's view on Hamhuis could've changed with Hutton's emergence and he may now view Hamhuis as a redundant piece (just my guess, I could be very wrong). Maybe he will trade for a RD to pair up with Hutton and/or Sbisa (he is a LD after all) and trade Hamhuis away. 

I think that Hutton could play 2nd pairing but only is partnered with a bona fide top 4 player at his level of experience. 

Best case scenario, they bring in a top 4 D.  This is something just about every other team would like to do as well.

Otherwise, that would mean splitting up Edler and Tanev.  :sick:

Edler Sbisa

Hutton Tanev

Bartkowski Biega

Pedan Weber

Archived