The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks stats and Tanking

numb3r 16

34 minutes ago, theminister said:

Take away the two best players on any team....

We are not talking just injury. Take them away permanently. This team will be in a world of hurt. So sit back and wait it out. That's not how I run my business. I plan ahead.

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We are not talking just injury. Take them away permanently. This team will be in a world of hurt. So sit back and wait it out. That's not how I run my business. I plan ahead.

Again, that would be the same of every team not just the Canucks.

You don't think the management team is planning ahead?

What do you base that perception on?

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

Again, that would be the same of every team not just the Canucks.

You don't think the management team is planning ahead?

What do you base that perception on?

Their stated priority is to make the playoffs. A lot of fans feel it should be more about the future. The future will come and then we will have an Edmonton scenario. We have some very good prospects but no top line talent and a defense that is AHL level.

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Their stated priority is to make the playoffs. A lot of fans feel it should be more about the future. The future will come and then we will have an Edmonton scenario. We have some very good prospects but no top line talent and a defense that is AHL level.

You think that looking to the future requires showing all of your strategic moves and planning to the general public and your competitors?

Is that how you run your business?

I prefer using an evidence based approach. They are getting younger and trying to add players who can play soon like Pedan and Baertschi. Management is clearly attempting to right the ship IMO but they require time and patience from the fans. They shouldn't need to tell you what they are doing, you should be able to judge it for yourself. Think about it critically.... they inherited something they are attempting to change.

10 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Remember, no prospect can grow into a first line player. He has to be ordained so at the moment of his drafting and has absolutely no chance of becoming anything less.

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Benning is planning for the future.  He has several players who project to be top 6 players.  McCann, Horvat, Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Boeser and Virtanen.  I'm not saying they will be the Canucks future for sure.  Nobody can tell if they will pan out or how good they will get.  The Sedins are exceptional.  We in Vancouver are spoiled by them and we expect their replacements to be just as good.  Maybe this is unrealistic.  At any rate, a team is more than 2 players.  Depth is coming along.  Give Benning a couple more years.  It's going to take 5 good years of drafting, the last 3 have been good.

The bigger need right now is to have some defensive prospects (although there is a longer time line to replace the present top pairing)  the cupboard is bare.

I like everything that Benning is doing. He is the one GM that we have had that I would trust with a top pick. The concept of building a winning attitude is right . This however is not a team that is going far and assets should not be wasted this year. We have a defense that was patched together with AHL type players. 

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

TI don't think this team is as bad as they have been playing over the last month.  Injuries have hit hard in a year when depth is thin due to the introduction of young players.  When these players come back, the Canucks will get better results.  I expect a low finish and a pretty good draft pick 8-14. 

There are a bunch of teams who are worse:  Columbus, Edmonton, Buffalo, Toronto, Carolina, Philly.  And there are other teams who are at a similar level, some of which the Canucks will finish ahead of:  Calgary, Winnipeg, Anaheim, San Jose, Arizona, Colorado.

I'm not sure we're watching the same team.  We lost to a lot of those teams already this year -- and in some cases badly.  We are consistently outshot and out-hustled; if the goaltending doesn't get better (and it has been better than we deserve), then the younger, more motivated teams (most of the second group you mention) will pass us by -- the second half of the season is tougher and favours younger teams.  At the start of the year I thought this team might be a little better than last year's team (after all, we replaced players with better players -- i.e., Hutton, Mac, Sutter, even Cracknell) but the defense and the aging core is more of a problem than predicted, with the exception of Hansen and the Sedins.  We will draft in the 3rd to 8th range.

I really am praying for the canucks to tank. And I am a die hard fan. They are already doing it , yet trying not to. At least tank with pride and trade all your vets  for picks. Do something right for a change management.....looking at this team going forwards for the next few years makes me want to cry . The team was ruined by gillis after 2011. Nothing to look forward to at all drafting mid range and watching the Sedins retire and overpaid washups continue.. man its sad being a canucks fan right now.  Maybe our Shae Webber will come from a 200th over all pick? please trade edler the wanna be goalie..I see him standing there like a pylon every dam game or BEHIND our goalie.

Most fans are not asking for the team to give up, just don't waist assets. How many people think moving Vrbata and Prust out will make us any worse. Gaunce and Shinkaruk mike make us better. Moving Weber and Bartkowski to play Biega and Pedan. Will that hurts our chances?

16 minutes ago, TheNewGM said:

I really am praying for the canucks to tank. And I am a die hard fan. They are already doing it , yet trying not to. At least tank with pride and trade all your vets  for picks. Do something right for a change management.....looking at this team going forwards for the next few years makes me want to cry . The team was ruined by gillis after 2011. Nothing to look forward to at all drafting mid range and watching the Sedins retire and overpaid washups continue.. man its sad being a canucks fan right now.  Maybe our Shae Webber will come from a 200th over all pick? please trade edler the wanna be goalie..I see him standing there like a pylon every dam game or BEHIND our goalie.

Forty years I have followed this team. I think the future is brighter then ever. We have a GM that knows how to draft and more quality prospects than I have ever seen. We are close!

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Forty years I have followed this team. I think the future is brighter then ever. We have a GM that knows how to draft and more quality prospects than I have ever seen. We are close!

None of our prospects look like future superstars though at all . I mean come on everyone looks mediocre if they even make the NHL. Not saying Im not happy with our rookies I was loving Mccan and Hutton at start of year, but teams heat up as the season goes on and competition gets harder. Where did our rookies go ?

2 hours ago, theminister said:

Take away the two best players on any team....

Our two best players are 35, and we don't have similar elite offensive talent coming along to replace them.  Just match up our young prospects with other teams.  How do we stack up?  In our own division Calgary, Edmonyon, and Colorado have those elite young guys who are a lot better than ours - and that's just in this division.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our two best players are 35, and we don't have similar elite offensive talent coming along to replace them.  Just match up our young prospects with other teams.  How do we stack up?  In our own division Calgary, Edmonyon, and Colorado have those elite young guys who are a lot better than ours - and that's just in this division.

our two best players were drafted 2,3 over all ? coincidence they have been our best franchise players for ten years  ?

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly, we have some good young players who will become supporting cast but no stars. We need a #1 D and center.

Boeser and Demko may have star potential.

Archived