The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grade the Canucks! Halfway Point of the Season.

HC20.0

Are you satisfied with Vancouver so far?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

D. Sedin(A+)-H.Sedin(A)-Hansen(A)

Baertschi(B)-Horvat(C+)-Vrbata(C-)

Higgins(F)-McCann(C+)-Burrows(C-)

Prust(C)-Cracknell(C+)-Dorsett(C)

Sutter(B+), Virtanen(C-)

Edler(C+)-Tanev(B+)

Hutton(B-)-Weber(F)

Bartkowski(C+)-Sbisa(B-)

Hamhuis(C-)-Biega(B+)

Miller(C-)

Markstrom(B)

Id say overall the Canucks are about where I had them pegged at the beginning of the season.  Playing around 500 hockey, they did surprise me with the amount of rookies they iced this season.  I'd say the Sedins continue to march on, and have surprised me with their continued ability to put up points.  While they are playing excellant hockey this season, Im sensing for the first time ever, well save for maybe the Torts year, that the Sedins overall aren't happy with some of the organizational decisions this year, some of the stuff they say in post game pressers really surprises me this year.  I know their disgruntled and expect more, but realisitcally the team is playing to what you'd expect from the roster they iced. 

Another really positive surprise was/is Sutter, I thought for sure he'd be a zero impact guy, but, prior to his injury he really showed to be a great move for the Canucks, if he can come back from his injury and play the way he was, and continue to play that way for the next few seasons that trade comes off looking like a steal for the Canucks.

McCann/Virtanen,  McCann is far and away the better prospect offensively, I didnt even think he'd crack the roster this year, and despite slowing down lately, you can see he has great vision, IQ and playmaking, Virtanen, on the other hand, was the pick from the first round of 14 for the Canucks who I thought would have the brighter future of the two, and although its far far to early to truly judge either, Virtanen looks to me like he'll max out as a 3rd liner, a 3rd liner that can contribute points mind you, as well as bring energy and physicality, so thats not a bad thing.

Horvat is hitting the Sophmore slump for sure, but that happens to many players, I never expected him to be an offensive force, as I mentioned last year, but I also don't think his current linemats suit his playing style either. I think he's better off to be developed as a 2/3 defensive C, the guy you put on the ice for D zone draws, penality kills, etc, although his defensive numbers have dropped off this year, again I contribute that to mainly his linemates.

Vrbata is about exactyl where I expected him.  Barely noticeable.

Baerscthi is also about where I expected him, playing the same as he did for the Flames, streaky, has a long way to go with learning the play along the boards, back check, win puck battles, but still shows great playmaking potential. 

Edler is soldiering on along with Tanev trying to anchor one of the worst D corps in the league, and the two of them are doing pretty decent all things considered. 

Sbisa looked improved from last season I thought, we'll get a better chance to evaluate him further once hes back of course.  Hamhuis, well, he's old.  Hutton looks like an exciting prospect, but with the overall team defense its really tough to judge the younger Dmen like him.

Bartowski, I keep forgetting the Canucks got him, hes not really noticeable most games, but not necessarely in a bad way, as in you don't usually see him making glaring defensive ommisions, but at the same time you don't see him making glaring contributions either. 

Weber, well I agree with the 99% of posters on here, what the heck is this guy even doing playing in the NHL.

Burrows is dropping off with age, but this year he doesnt seem to have the drive and competitiveness in him of seasons past. 

Markstrom in goal is looking great in my opinion, I was expecting Miller to have to shoulder 70+games this season, Markstrom has been a huge brightspot for the Canucks.

Miller, meh, without him the Canucks would be in worse shape, as much as I think Markstrom is coming along great, he wouldnt be able to carry the team as a #1 yet, so Miller is needed.  Certainly not worth the 6 mil, but he's needed to fill a void. 

Overall I think its really just a see what you got season for the Canucks, both in terms of youth and management.  I'm certainly curious to see which way management goes with trades this season. 

While I can't see the Canucks making the playoffs this year round, I just don't think with the injuries and age that they will be able to keep pace, even though the pace in the Pacific is that of a snale, I just don't see the Canucks at the playoffs this year.  Hopefully though continued development from the youngsters, some smart trades, and a good draft.  I still enjoy watching the Canucks and do so most games, as long as the Flames or Oilers, or should I say Lames or Coilers arent playing.

Grades:

Baertschi(C)-Horvat(B+)-Vrbata(C-)

Higgins(C)-McCann(B+)-Burrows(C+)

Prust(C-)-Cracknell(C+)-Dorsett(C)

Sutter(B), Virtanen(C)

Edler(B)-Tanev(B)

Hutton(B+)-Weber(D)

Bartkowski(C)-Sbisa(B)

Hamhuis(C)-Biega(C+)

Miller(B)

Markstrom(B+)

Horvat  gets B+ for playing so well against competition that is  above last years level.

McCann and Hutton get B+ for playing so well and against tougher competition than was originally planned.

The team could be graded in three ways:

1. Veterans.  C

The Sedins have been amazing.  But outside of the twins, the veterans, the guys that are supposed to lead by example and provide stability, this group has been what ails the Canucks this season.  Burrows, Higgins, and Vrbata's lack of scoring has been a major disappointment.  Hamhuis' epic giveaways and lack of speed have only half saved his Corsi rating.  Edler has been ok considering his shut down role and ability to chip in offensively.  Tanev has not progressed offensively.  Weber, ughhhh.  Miller is clearly in decline.  Sutter was good, and will be a HUGE boon to the team when he comes back.  Cracknell, Dorsett, and Prust mostly play in the offensive zone, what more can we ask from them? An finally, The Honey Badger -  Hansen needs to retire as a Canuck.

2.  Rookies. A-

McCann is the real deal, folks.  His comparison to Sakic by Vrbata, although lofty, is not too far off. Bo has shown glimpses of a becoming a superstar.  Sophomore jinx be damned, he has shattered that moniker.  Hutton is the best defensive prospect since Luc Bourdon.  Markstrom is a starter, having stolen several games already.  Cannata keeps that bench nice and warm... Virtanen has played the role of a 4th line grinder, as asked.  He can score, we all know it.  He can bang too. Baertschi started slow but he is highly talented. The fanbase wanted rooks, you got rooks.  And they look good.  Having this many rookies and still within the playoffs in January?  The cupboards are indeed not bare.

3.  The Farm. B+

Biega is a real good player for a 27 year old rookie.  Probably good enough to be a permanent #6/7.  Gaunce was awesome in the preseason and has not been given much of a chance since he took that puck to the face. Kennins is a bit of a plug, but, it is not a coincidence that Bo woke up from his slumber with Ronnie's return.  Grenier is a big body and I am interested to see more of him.  Pedan not playing much is puzzling, as his big hits have brought life to the team.  With all of the injuries to the core, these guys have gone above and beyond.  Utica, and Travis Green, is easily the unsung hero of the season thus far.

Overall B-

About what I expected.  The lows have been lower than expected.  The emergence of Hutton, McCann, Baertschi and Markstrom have more than surpassed my wildest expectations.  The Sedins continue to amaze me, the Canucks will be lucky to ever have a single player as good as them ever again.  Burrows, Hamhuis, Higgins, Miller, and Vrbata, all of these guys can bring us picks, and should.  '16 Playoffs be damned, this new young core needs to grow.

Grades:

Baertschi(B)-Horvat(B)-Vrbata(D)

Higgins(F)-McCann(B)-Burrows(F)

Prust(C-)-Cracknell(C)-Dorsett(C+)

Sutter(B), Virtanen(C)

Edler(C)-Tanev(B)

Hutton(B)-Weber(F)

Bartkowski(C-)-Sbisa(C)

Hamhuis(F)-Biega(B+)

Miller(C)

Markstrom(B+)

Willie D + Co.  (C-)

Travis Green (A+)

Roland Melanson (A)

Benning (B)

I'm not sure what Cracknell has done as a 4th line center to receive C's and D's. He's an easy B/B+ for me. He isn't expected to load up on points, just skate with energy and be more or less responsible in his own zone. I haven't seen him make glaring error after error, and even though he is older for a rookie, he's still a rookie and has played just fine on our 4th line.

Overall I voted the team as being more or less where I figured we'd be - hovering around 0.500. The surprise in the standings isn't due to us exceeding expectations, rather it's the rest of the teams in our division who aren't living up to their own.

I will not be surprised if we sneak into the playoffs this year. I wouldn't say I'm going out on a limb by suggesting we finish between 7-10 in our division with only 2-3 points being the difference between the teams around us. 

Archived