The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Darren Helm

28 yr old pending ufa. Is a C currently play wing I do believe. Are the Red Wings willing to commit to him with a new deal?

After losing Richardson I think we could use Helm. I realized we did get Sutter, but Helm has wheels, can help our PK, slot in C if needed. I would be willing to extend him at a reasonable cap. For this year it could allow us to use McCann solely on the wing also.

Seems to be a good character guy, would think Benning would have some interest, is at an age where we dont have many forwards right now.

Not sure what his value is or what Detroit would want in return though.

Thoughts on the idea of looking to get him if the price is right?

Helm Sutter Hansen- Solid 200ft 2way checking line with speed?

2 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Like you said if he becomes a free agent and for the right price I think he would be an upgrade over Crack.

What is the right price? He is making $2.5 M now. He will expect a raise as they all do. Is $3M fair, won't get done below that. May take $3.5M?

2.125m cap hit 2.5m salary this year. A deal around 2.5-3m should be about right.

We have alot of youth, adding 1 or 2 more is fine, but he is at a good age in his prime and could be serviceable for the next few years, capable nhl player allowing the young guys to not be thrown into big roles too early, we are seeing that now.

Solid 3rd line guy, like a hansen basically. I would inquire to his price to obtain, maybe detroit doesnt want to commit to him.

weber and jensen if they took that why not? or something similar, dont think they would have interest in prust or vrbata and they have lots of lhd already so no hammer interest, nor would he waive their probly

4 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

Like canuktravella said we have too many forwards in the pipeline that have earned a shot to go outside the organization and grab another one.

sure i agree, but UFA's include Vrbata and Prust.

Players past their prime we could consider to move are Higgins, Burrows.

I would rather have Helm here than Dorsett also.

So thats 5 possible openings, cant all have rookies take them all,

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Some combination of a player, prospect, and draft picks.

that much for a pending ufa?

would love for them to take one of higgins/prust/weber/bartkowkski 

add on a prospect like Jensen or a pick that we get via another trade

what if we took Kindl of their hands, 1 year left worst case we waive him.

Weber/higgins/prust/bartkowski jensen for helm and kindl

we resign Helm for say 3yr 2.5-3m per, try out kindl on D, or worst case flip him with cap retention at the deadline, teams always need depth

Yea, good luck getting him from Detroit.

If he doesn't sign with them (which I highly doubt), that would all but signal he wants to get paid - aka highest bidder - and the Canucks are in no position to even contest in that considering the direction we're heading and especially looking at our finances/spending.

sounds like detroit has alot of wingers and more waiting in the wings, they are cheaper than helm would be. I would have thought they would have resigned him by now myself, but since they haven't you have to wonder what will happen.

Archived