The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Fully Commit To The Youth Movement!

Boddy604

I think we can all agree Prust and Weber are done, right?

Before the All Star break is over, if Prust can't be moved, put him on waivers and be done with him. We need his roster spot for Sutter and Sedin and frankly, Vey and Zalewski deserve to be on the big club more than he does. 

Sure, it might hurt the chances of any return for him but what's he really worth anyways after the year he's had? A 6th or 7th round pick? Not the end of the world if that slips us by at the cost of icing a better, younger team.

I don't mind Cracknell but Cracknell is a 30 year old fringe NHL player who until this season, has never stuck in the NHL for more than 24 games in a season before being sent back to the AHL. I think it's more than reasonable to suspect he's in Utica next year. And if he is, let's take a longer look at someone who might make the team next year, like Zalewski. So waive him too.

Henrik has been visibly fighting taking face offs all season long. When Sutter returns, put Sutter with the twins for the rest of the year. Both are due back after the break so Prust and Cracknell would need to be gone by then. Putting Sutter with the twins would also greatly lessen the blow of losing Vrbata since Hansen could then fill his spot . Making trading him a MUCH easier move without hurting the team.

Lineup:

Sedin-Sutter-Sedin

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Burrows-Vey-Etem

Revolving 4th line of:

Dorsett-Zalewski-Virtanen

Dorsett-McCann-Virtanen

Zalewski-McCann-Dorsett

Zalewski-McCann-Virtanen

McCann and Virtanen can slot in on any line with reasonable effectiveness. Zalewski can play left or Centre.  Dorsett can play left or right. Having those 4 man your 4th line instead of Prust and Cracknell gives the team actual depth. All positions at every line have a backup already in the roster. And the youth are gaining experience. 

To me, this makes too much sense to not be the route the team should go. They dump guys they don't need or need a return for while also making the team bigger, faster, and, I'd even go as far to say, better.

What you guys think?

Barring a new set of injuries at D, I suspect you are right: Weber is gone, perhaps waived.  Cracknell is clearly redundant with the abundance of youth -- Z. and Gaunce, even.  Fighting/rough stuff decreases when games are important to making the playoffs, so I think you are right: Prust can be dumped with no fanfare.  The demotion of Higgins was a real eye-opener for me. As it probably was for some of the players.  Now that Sutter is about to return, and Horvat/Baertschi and Vey/Etem are beginning to look like reliable secondary scoring, this is the time to go full on youth.  Burr and Hansen will be the only vets left other than the Sedins.  Assuming Edler and perhaps Hamhuis are either moved or allowed to settle in at a lower level on the Depth chart. If Fedun and Pedan are even 2/3rd's as good as Biega, then the D can be greened as well.

I'd do things slightly differently ....

I agree that we should try to trade Weber and Prust, and waive them to Utica if we get no offers.  If they get picked up, no great loss and we save some of the salary (as well as getting first dibs on any player the claiming team puts on waiver to accommodate their pick-up).  Waive Cracknell too.

Trade Vrby.  Much as I like him. WD isn't going to put him with the twins, and he didn't jell with Sutter and hasn't with Bo, to any great extent.

Here's where I'd differ, on the line combinations:

yes to Sedin, Sedin and Sutter.  Worked well earlier, and having Sutter take RHS face offs really made us strong on face offs

I'd put Jake with Bo and the Bear every second game (alternating with Hansen).  Right now Bo is doing the heavy lifting, checking and retrieving the puck in the corners. and having someone else with speed perform that role will open up Bo's creativity even more.

McCann with Vey and Etem makes so much sense. Classic sniper with the playmaker and the retriever. But alternate Burr and Jared to give McCann his required days off.

Keep Zaleskey up - he's an upgrade over Cracknell. Dorsett would be a regular winger, playing either wing, and partnered with Burrows or Hansen depending if Jared or Jake were in the line-up.

They would be 4 pretty good lines, any one of which could be put on the ice in the final minute of a game/

Vey seems to be playing ok, I wonder if we try and trade Vey when our lineup is healthy again. I don't see why we couldn't get a late 2nd or 3rd round pick out of the deal. Because I don't see where he slots in to our lineup next year. There will be no room in the top 9 and we have better 4th line players.

1 hour ago, Boddy604 said:

I think we can all agree Prust and Weber are done, right?

Before the All Star break is over, if Prust can't be moved, put him on waivers and be done with him. We need his roster spot for Sutter and Sedin and frankly, Vey and Zalewski deserve to be on the big club more than he does. 

Sure, it might hurt the chances of any return for him but what's he really worth anyways after the year he's had? A 6th or 7th round pick? Not the end of the world if that slips us by at the cost of icing a better, younger team.

I don't mind Cracknell but Cracknell is a 30 year old fringe NHL player who until this season, has never stuck in the NHL for more than 24 games in a season before being sent back to the AHL. I think it's more than reasonable to suspect he's in Utica next year. And if he is, let's take a longer look at someone who might make the team next year, like Zalewski. So waive him too.

Henrik has been visibly fighting taking face offs all season long. When Sutter returns, put Sutter with the twins for the rest of the year. Both are due back after the break so Prust and Cracknell would need to be gone by then. Putting Sutter with the twins would also greatly lessen the blow of losing Vrbata since Hansen could then fill his spot . Making trading him a MUCH easier move without hurting the team.

Lineup:

Sedin-Sutter-Sedin

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Burrows-Vey-Etem

Revolving 4th line of:

Dorsett-Zalewski-Virtanen

Dorsett-McCann-Virtanen

Zalewski-McCann-Dorsett

Zalewski-McCann-Virtanen

McCann and Virtanen can slot in on any line with reasonable effectiveness. Zalewski can play left or Centre.  Dorsett can play left or right. Having those 4 man your 4th line instead of Prust and Cracknell gives the team actual depth. All positions at every line have a backup already in the roster. And the youth are gaining experience. 

To me, this makes too much sense to not be the route the team should go. They dump guys they don't need or need a return for while also making the team bigger, faster, and, I'd even go as far to say, better.

What you guys think?

People need to settle down. The remaining vets are a big reason the young guys are doing so well. Benning knows what he is doing and will sell if it makes long term sense.

8 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

People need to settle down. The remaining vets are a big reason the young guys are doing so well. Benning knows what he is doing and will sell if it makes long term sense.

I'm not opposed to Vrbata staying around till the offseason but if you can replace him, it makes more sense to get a return than keep him for nothing.

And Prust and Cracknell aren't vets, they're fill ins. Season is over half done and they've combined for 4 goals, 15 points, and a collective minus 2. 

1 minute ago, Boddy604 said:

I'm not opposed to Vrbata staying around till the offseason but if you can replace him, it makes more sense to get a return than keep him for nothing.

And Prust and Cracknell aren't vets, they're fill ins. Season is over half done and they've combined for 4 goals, 15 points, and a collective minus 2. 

But those latter two are worth nothing in trade, are they?

8 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Probably not. But are they worth more to the team than guys like Vey and Zalewski? Roster maximum requires 2 guys leave before Sutter and Sedin can come back. 

Where do they go, if no one will trade for them, waivers and Utica?

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

I'd do things slightly differently ....

I agree that we should try to trade Weber and Prust, and waive them to Utica if we get no offers.  If they get picked up, no great loss and we save some of the salary (as well as getting first dibs on any player the claiming team puts on waiver to accommodate their pick-up).  Waive Cracknell too.

Trade Vrby.  Much as I like him. WD isn't going to put him with the twins, and he didn't jell with Sutter and hasn't with Bo, to any great extent.

Here's where I'd differ, on the line combinations:

yes to Sedin, Sedin and Sutter.  Worked well earlier, and having Sutter take RHS face offs really made us strong on face offs

I'd put Jake with Bo and the Bear every second game (alternating with Hansen).  Right now Bo is doing the heavy lifting, checking and retrieving the puck in the corners. and having someone else with speed perform that role will open up Bo's creativity even more.

McCann with Vey and Etem makes so much sense. Classic sniper with the playmaker and the retriever. But alternate Burr and Jared to give McCann his required days off.

Keep Zaleskey up - he's an upgrade over Cracknell. Dorsett would be a regular winger, playing either wing, and partnered with Burrows or Hansen depending if Jared or Jake were in the line-up.

They would be 4 pretty good lines, any one of which could be put on the ice in the final minute of a game/

very interesting: you're right, Mac is more of a sniper than a play-maker at this stage in his career, my only worry is his puck retrieval skills: they may not be much better than Baer's.  On the other hand, Etem looks like a less deliberate, less skilled (but bigger?) version of Virtanen, which makes him a potential part of the long-term style/culture the team is developing.  Vey is looking more and more like a poor-man's Henrik Sedin.  His short passing game has potential, especially with Etem.

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Think of Utica as a mini-Canucks.  They need vets down there for leadership too.  It's like a parallel universe

people talk about utica as if its like a prison sentence, when in fact there a fast paced up tempo team ,and the players are having a good experience there. the canucks will get deeper with fa,s trades making it even harder to make it outta there but this is a good thing ,don't get to attached to any of the good prospects there .as there will be movement to acquire some veteran dmen. gulp, i hope

Archived