The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vrbata doesn't really serve a purpose.

Boddy604

1 minute ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I figured you'd weigh cap hit into this, but... lol.

C'mon.  On one hand you have Sidney Crosby, and the other Radim Vrbata.  :lol:

I know, I'm just saying, people here jump all over a player when he's having an off year.

Burrows hasn't had a productive year since 2011/12.

Do I think Vrbata has been floating out there? I do.  So are a lot of Canucks.  Which makes it asinine to blame 1 player.  

8 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I know, I'm just saying, people here jump all over a player when he's having an off year.

Burrows hasn't had a productive year since 2011/12.

Do I think Vrbata has been floating out there? I do.  So are a lot of Canucks.  Which makes it asinine to blame 1 player.  

I agree, but there's some sentiment that the UFA should be traded at the deadline.

I feel that Vrbata will likely stay this season.  Might even be retained in the summer, although he'd likely want Sedin time again.  Depends on what else the Canucks are able to do in the summer.

Let's be honest - Vrbata has been a huge disappointment this season. The sad thing is that even at the trade deadline with teams definitely wanting him, the way he has played this year will have other GM's downgrading what the Canucks would be offered in return.  In any case, they've got to get what they can for him at or before the deadline, because this team (again, let's be honest and not fool ourselves) is not going to make the playoffs with or without him.  'Nuff said.

Well by the sounds of it Benning has no intention of trading vrbata if the Canucks are in the playoff race with makes me mad as hell...vrbata, hamhuis, prust and weber could all be moved and we would still have the same "win one, lose one" kinda team

sedin-sedin-hansen

baerschi-horvat-virtanen 

burrows-McCann-sutter

Etem-cracknell-dorsett

edler-tanev

hutton-sbisa

bartkowski-biega

that's still a good enough team to make the playoffs through the pacific division 

Yes, if Benning can sell Vrbata to a contender, to help them with additional scoring. The guy is a goal scorer and for whatever reason, he's just not that into it this year playing on a line with a couple of youngsters on a rebuilding team. Maybe he's upset that he was told he would play with the Sedins and that never really worked out? It'll come down to how well Benning can sell him to another team. His stats speak for itself (not focusing on this particular year). I'm sure a contending team heading into the playoffs would love to have a natural goal scorer like Vrbata in their arsenal as they chase the Cup, and maybe even some extra sandpaper.

Vrbata, Prust and our 6th round pick (finesse goal scorer and grit) to ? for their 1st pick (say 25th overall?). We would retain some ($1 million) of Vrbata's contract next year.

Use our two 1st round picks (say 10th and 25th overall?) and trade up for a top 3-5 pick. Hello Matthews, Tkachuk or Chychrun?

Crazy to dream? Probably...

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, if Benning can sell Vrbata to a contender, to help them with additional scoring. The guy is a goal scorer and for whatever reason, he's just not that into it this year playing on a line with a couple of youngsters on a rebuilding team. Maybe he's upset that he was told he would play with the Sedins and that never really worked out? It'll come down to how well Benning can sell him to another team. His stats speak for itself (not focusing on this particular year). I'm sure a contending team heading into the playoffs would love to have a natural goal scorer like Vrbata in their arsenal as they chase the Cup, and maybe even some extra sandpaper.

Vrbata, Prust and our 6th round pick (finesse goal scorer and grit) to ? for their 1st pick (say 25th overall?). We would retain some ($1 million) of Vrbata's contract next year.

Use our two 1st round picks (say 10th and 25th overall?) and trade up for a top 3-5 pick. Hello Matthews, Tkachuk or Chychrun?

Crazy to dream? Probably...

Vrbata's contract is done at the end of this year, mercifully.

15 hours ago, Canucks Prophet said:

This is pretty much right. Vrbata skates like he's simply going through the motions. Perhaps not as ineffective as Higgins was, but I just don't see any spark to his game right now. I want to see Bo and Sven play with a winger who can match their speed and desire to score...Virtanen is my bet. 

Now we're talking! Matching by speed of player is part of the deal, so is Virtanen's ability to chase down pucks/forecheck, jam the crease. Virt is also a terrific shooter -- isn't that Vrbata's calling card? Rinse and repeat.

I understand the idea of spreading out the offence, but the Canucks are going as far as the Sedin's will take them anyway, so why not put them with a bonified sniper?  Horvat isn't learning anything from having an aging winger on his line.  He learns from watching Henrik, and matching up against elite centres around the league, playing with other players on the team who are going to be here to create chemistry with.  Vrbata best serves this team by playing with the Sedin's, getting his goals, and points, upping his trade value and bringing back valuable picks.  Had he been on pace for another 30 goal, 50-60 point season, MAYBE Benning can find a team desperate to make a cup run and willing to negotiate a package to give up a late first in the deal.  With his numbers the way they are, its gonna be tough to find a trade like that.  

1 hour ago, Bure2Burrows said:

Vrbata best serves this team by playing with the Sedin's, getting his goals, and points, upping his trade value and bringing back valuable picks.  Had he been on pace for another 30 goal, 50-60 point season, MAYBE Benning can find a team desperate to make a cup run and willing to negotiate a package to give up a late first in the deal.  With his numbers the way they are, its gonna be tough to find a trade like that.  

Yeah, I wouldn't mind playing Verby with the Sedins just to see if he can get some points on the board and maybe up his value.  Hansen has played well with BoHo b4, so he should be able to still produce there.

I was just looking @ Verby's career stats.  He is pretty inconsistent.  He tends to have a very good year followed by a couple of average ones.  Unfortunately, being a pending UFA, he picked a bad time to have an off year.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=43740

Archived