Vrbata (50% retained)

Gaunce

4th Round Pick 2016

To VAN:

Honka

Hemsky (cap dump)

2nd Round Pick 2016

3rd Round Pick 2016

Dallas loads up for a Cup run. They add a very nice veteran #4/#5 defenseman for the Playoffs, which is the best thing a contending team can do. They also upgrade from Hemsky to Vrbata, while getting our from under Hemsky's contract. In addition, they receive a nice forward prospect who can step in and play next year while Dallas manages their cap situation. A later pick is added as well.

Vancouver receives a prime right handed defense prospect that will be an important member of the future core. Honka is smart, tough and a good skater who can play in any situation. He could step into the lineup next year. He and Tanev will be anchors for our right side for a while. We take back Hemksy simply to balance the cap hits. We can waive him as he doesn't fit into our lineup. We also get 2 more picks in the top-90 this year where we can take some flyers on some young defenseman.

Lineup Post-Deadline:

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Burrows - Vey - Etem

Virtanen - McCann/Cracknell - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Sbisa

Bartkowski - Biega

We finish the season with a lineup looking something like that.

Trade 2: (Offseason)

To PHI:

Baertschi

Cassels

Olsen

4th Round Pick 2017

To VAN:

Sanheim

The Flyers have a very nice group of young defenseman, including Provorov, Morin and Gostisbehere. However, they are lacking in young forward talent. The add a winger who is poised to increase his level of play and can fit in with the Flyers rebuild. They also add a good young center who could develop very nicely for them. Olsen is a defensive project, but is a prospect to somewhat replace Sanheim. A later pick is added again.

The Canucks get a young, puck moving defenseman from B.C. Yes, they lose Baertschi, but his position is much easier to replace later than the one Sanheim can offer us. Losing Cassels I understand won't be a popular decision as well, but he is someone who can easily be replaced, like Gaunce. We add Sanhiem who is a left handed, puck moving defenseman who can run the power play. Slotting him in behind Hutton will make our defense a threat every time they are on the ice.

Draft:

Add Sergachyov to our young group.

Summary:

In: Honka, Sanheim, Sergachyov, 2nd Round Pick 2016, 3rd Round Pick 2016

Out: Vrbata, Hamhuis, Gaunce, Baertshci, Olsen, Cassels, 4th Round Pick 2016, 4th Round Pick 2017

We add 3 very important pieces to our defensive prospect pool that will be key contributors for the upcoming Horvat era. Honka can step into bottom pairing minutes next year, while we let Sanheim and Sergachyov sit for a couple of years. We lose a future top-6 winger and a couple of 3rd liners, but we successfully build a talented, smart and tough defense core:

Virtanen - Horvat - Shinkaurik

********* - McCann - Boeser

Hutton - Tanev

Sergachyov - Honka

Sanheim - Tryamkin

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Not totally out of left field, don't know Sandhiem and Honka kids much though, are they that good?

Honka is a right handed defensman who played for Finland at the WJC. He is very smart with the puck both offensively and defensively. He is not very tall, but he built very solid. There was one play at the 2014 WJC where Virtanen tried to hit him but he bounced off. 

Sanhiem isn't as good as Honka, but still a very welcome addition to our blue line. He is very similar to Hutton. A left handed, puck moving defensman with a decent frame but is not overly physical. He and Hutton could run our 1st and 2nd powerplay units for a decade. 

1st trade: So Hemsky and Vrbata are basically cancelling each other out. Basically it's Hamhuis, Gaunce, and a 4th for Honka, and 2 picks. It's not a bad start but I can't see Dallas giving up all that for only 1 guy that will contribute to them in only half a year.

If we are targetting Honka, I think simplifying the deal to Hamhuis, Gaunce, and the 2nd we got in the Bieksa trade for Honka and 3rd might be a little more even. Honka is a top 20 prospect. We are going to have to do more than just throw UFA's with retained salary to get him.

2nd trade: There is no incentive to trade Sanheim from the Flyers unless they are getting a forward prospect back with equal or around potential. Sanheim isn't Top 20 but he is Top 35. Olsen has no value to them because they have like 6 D prospects better than him. Cassels may intrigue them but he won't be enough. I'd rather keep Bear Cheese. Unfortunately, in order to land of the Philly D prospects, I think Shinkaruk's name has to be thrown into the conversation. Maybe Shinkaruk and Cassels for Sanheim and a mid pick.

4 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

1st trade: So Hemsky and Vrbata are basically cancelling each other out. Basically it's Hamhuis, Gaunce, and a 4th for Honka, and 2 picks. It's not a bad start but I can't see Dallas giving up all that for only 1 guy that will contribute to them in only half a year.

If we are targetting Honka, I think simplifying the deal to Hamhuis, Gaunce, and the 2nd we got in the Bieksa trade for Honka and 3rd might be a little more even. Honka is a top 20 prospect. We are going to have to do more than just throw UFA's with retained salary to get him.

2nd trade: There is no incentive to trade Sanheim from the Flyers unless they are getting a forward prospect back with equal or around potential. Sanheim isn't Top 20 but he is Top 35. Olsen has no value to them because they have like 6 D prospects better than him. Cassels may intrigue them but he won't be enough. I'd rather keep Bear Cheese. Unfortunately, in order to land of the Philly D prospects, I think Shinkaruk's name has to be thrown into the conversation. Maybe Shinkaruk and Cassels for Sanheim and a mid pick.

Thanks for the calm reply, I appreciate it.

1) I don't think Vrbata and Hemsky really cancel each other out. I would consider Vrbata to be an upgrade over Hemsky. The other thing is that Dallas gains more cap flexibility, so that had value as well. If the deal can be simplified to Hamhuis + Gaunce + 2nd for Honka + 3rd, then that's fine too.

2) I was trying to avoid trading Shinkaurik, but if that's what it takes then I would be willing to make him available for Sanheim. I think Baertschi has value now too, but I would rather keep Shinkaurik. 

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Why not try to make a deal with the Peg for Trouba or the Isles for Hamonic? Or both?

I think Trouba is close to untouchable from Winnipeg. We would have to give up something crazy for him. I also think targeting young AHL/Junior defensman will be better for our organization in the long run. The Islanders are also looking at us as a last option, they would prefer probably every other team on his list ahead of us.

Just now, Horvat is a Boss said:

Thanks for the calm reply, I appreciate it.

1) I don't think Vrbata and Hemsky really cancel each other out. I would consider Vrbata to be an upgrade over Hemsky. The other thing is that Dallas gains more cap flexibility, so that had value as well. If the deal can be simplified to Hamhuis + Gaunce + 2nd for Honka + 3rd, then that's fine too.

2) I was trying to avoid trading Shinkaurik, but if that's what it takes then I would be willing to make him available for Sanheim. I think Baertschi has value now too, but I would rather keep Shinkaurik. 

I agree that Vrbata is an upgrade over Hemsky, but not my much. Hemsky is also under contract until 2018 so he has that going for him over Vrbata. Overall, I don't think there is much separation between the two in terms of value. The cap flexibility is a good point you bring up. 

It's a pick your poison type scenario on the other one. You prefer keeping Hunter, I prefer Sven. Who know's who GMJB prefers. Either way, I think one of them has to go to land one the Flyers D prospects.

Just now, Blue Jay 22 said:

I agree that Vrbata is an upgrade over Hemsky, but not my much. Hemsky is also under contract until 2018 so he has that going for him over Vrbata. Overall, I don't think there is much separation between the two in terms of value. The cap flexibility is a good point you bring up. 

It's a pick your poison type scenario on the other one. You prefer keeping Hunter, I prefer Sven. Who know's who GMJB prefers. Either way, I think one of them has to go to land one the Flyers D prospects.

I agree completely.

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Honka is a right handed defensman who played for Finland at the WJC. He is very smart with the puck both offensively and defensively. He is not very tall, but he built very solid. There was one play at the 2014 WJC where Virtanen tried to hit him but he bounced off. 

Sanhiem isn't as good as Honka, but still a very welcome addition to our blue line. He is very similar to Hutton. A left handed, puck moving defensman with a decent frame but is not overly physical. He and Hutton could run our 1st and 2nd powerplay units for a decade. 

ID make a move for Honka. Maybe nill gets the bug, and we lose  Hammer vrbata, and A dallas camp dump. If we retain and take on a dump. A fist has to come back our way. imho Sellers usually have the power this time of the year. If you are nil, and know Hammer and vrbata might be the pieces you need, plus a camp dump, and the fact ur getting them for almost free.

I think it swings the ball into our court. Especially if multiple teams want Hammer. Next in line is Pollack pretty big drop off.

23 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Not totally out of left field, don't know Sandhiem and Honka kids much though, are they that good?

No, they aren't They're good, yes, but not to warrant the kind of deals proposed (which I don't think work that well for either side).

Honka's good, but smaller. Sanheim is good, but another left side defenceman and we already have plenty of those even if it'd be nice to have more.

23 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Either that or it's a bigger negative. It certainly is for us, who'd much prefer the cap flexibility in years going forward.

Archived