The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Job Security for NHL Coaches

With less than 20 games remaining, we are coming to that point of the season where teams are beginning to be eliminated from the playoff picture. This topic is a discussion of the job security of coaches, as it seems there is always at least 1 fired before the end of the season and several during the offseason/playoffs. Here is how I predict the coaching picture going down for all 30 teams. Anyone of course may add their own opinions and predictions:

Safe:

Chicago: Coach Q

Toronto: Babcock

Edmonton: McLellan

Pittsburgh: Sullivan-(just hired)

Detroit: Blashill (Just hired)

Philadelphia: Hakstol

Buffalo: Bylsma

Dallas: Ruff

Florida: Gallant

LA: Sutter

Nashville: Lavy

Calgary: Hartley

New Jersey: Hynes

New York (Islanders): Capuano

New York (Rangers): AV

Ottawa: Cameron

San Jose: Deboer

Tampa: Cooper

Vancouver: Willie D

Washington: Trotz

Winnipeg: Maurice

Potential Firing if Failure to make the Playoffs:

Boston: Julien

Colorado: Roy

Minnesota: Torchetti (loss of interm tag)

Carolina: Peters

Failure to make it to the Conference Finals:

Anaheim: Boudreau

Failure to make it to the Stanley Cup Finals:

St. Louis: Hitchcock

May Agree to a Mutual Parting:

Arizona: Tippett

Depends on if GM is fired or Not:

Columbus: Torts

Good as Gone:

Montreal: Therrien

Just now, Piggy Bank said:

I dont think Maurice Cooper or Hartley are safe.

Interesting. I was 50/50 on Hartley and Maurice, but I thought at the end they over achieved last year with their teams and that this year was a true indication of the teams that were built by the GM's. Could I see one of them losing their jobs? Yes, but I think fan backlash would be heavy.

I'm curious about your thoughts on Cooper though. Tampa has been a consistent playoff team with him.

Hartley is 50/50 for me as well. Calgary thought this year would be a big one for them. Hartley might very well find himself scapegoated for their under achieving this year.

I don't think the noose is quite that tight around Hitchcock's neck but I can certainly see him being fired if the Blues get eliminated in the first round again.

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Hartley is 50/50 for me as well. Calgary thought this year would be a big one for them. Hartley might very well find himself scapegoated for their under achieving this year.

I don't think the noose is quite that tight around Hitchcock's neck but I can certainly see him being fired if the Blues get eliminated in the first round again.

I think Hitchcock is a goner if St. Louis fails to make it to the Finals.

I don't think Patrick Roy will be fired. Same with Boudreau. Colorado has had a rocky year but they're still in the hunt for the playoffs. They're in the toughest division in the NHL so Roy should be safe. For Boudreau, the Ducks have been red hot for a couple of months. I think anything short of the Cup Finals and Boudreau might be gone.

I think Hartley is more safe than Maurice. The Jets were expected to really capitalize on the momentum they started last season... but clearly they have flat lined. I wouldn't be shocked to see Maurice scapegoated and fired at the end of the season.

Great thread OP.

For me, there are few 100% safe - truly guaranteed - coaches. Most are from rebuilding teams. Playoff success / failure will determine the future of so many. For example, I'd think a 1st round exit would put pressure on Pittsburgh to relieve Sullivan of his duties, regardless of his relative newness / blame for earlier failures.

I'd say that a 1st round exit would also put pressure on Ruff, Sutter (massively), Laviolette, Capuano, AV, Cooper (fired for sure if the Bolts exit early), and Trotz.

From the non-playoff teams, I wouldn't assume that Hartley or Maurice are 100% safe - they'd be 75% for me.

I couldn't see Boston or Colorado firing their coaches, even without playoff hockey; although both would be on final strikes you'd think.

Peters has done an impressive job in Carolina, I'd expect him to be 90% safe.

Boudreau and Hitchcock have both had long enough - I agree that both need deep runs to keep their jobs. In fact, even if Hitchcock gets to the SCF, I'd suggest that anything less than a Cup will see the Blues move on from their coach (as they will be doing with their captain, Backes, too).

Thierren should have been fired a long time ago, I pity the Habs fans who saw such an incredible start to the season fall away like it did. We all knew Condon wasn't going to be able to carry Price's load, and some of that comes down to Bergevin too. If I was Montreal ownership, I'd be looking at sacking both and doing what Vancouver has done - bring in a team favourite to run the ship as President, give him carte blanche to hire a GM and give that GM carte blanche to hire a coach. I could see Patrick Roy ending up there this summer.

Archived