The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Brendan Gaunce and Andrey Pedan

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Disagree.  He's supposedly around 185-190 now.  That's still hardly hulking or ideal blueliner size, but big enough for a talented, mobile defenseman.  Look at Torey Krug.

Jared Spurgeon 5'9", Kris Russell 5'10"/Ryan Ellis there any number of short D playing in todays NHL. The problem for Vcr is how many of that size can they carry

On 2016-03-15 at 0:24 PM, Jiggs50 said:

Pedan and Tryamkin! Grenier and Gaunce are solid too. Love it. They all bring size and can skate.

So what does Willy do ? He plays Pedan as a forward. The games where he did play D he was solid. This team needs  new coaches.

16 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Jared Spurgeon 5'9", Kris Russell 5'10"/Ryan Ellis there any number of short D playing in todays NHL. The problem for Vcr is how many of that size can they carry

Is that really a problem?  Let's face it - we don't have the deepest prospect pool on D, with Subban and Stecher being the only two that I see that have a chance to break the NHL any time soon.  And with the big club, after Weber is gone, we have only one defenseman under 6 feet in Biega... who is really our 7th.  So at any given time by the end of next season, we may have 2 slightly undersized defensemen.  Given what Tryamkin brings, I think we can handle it.

And besides all that, height is not the be-all, end-all.  Or even weight.  Tenacity, and overall conditioning/strength make all the difference.  Look at the Rat, Marchand as an example of that.  (Yes, I realize he's a forward).

45 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Is that really a problem?  Let's face it - we don't have the deepest prospect pool on D, with Subban and Stecher being the only two that I see that have a chance to break the NHL any time soon.  And with the big club, after Weber is gone, we have only one defenseman under 6 feet in Biega... who is really our 7th.  So at any given time by the end of next season, we may have 2 slightly undersized defensemen.  Given what Tryamkin brings, I think we can handle it.

And besides all that, height is not the be-all, end-all.  Or even weight.  Tenacity, and overall conditioning/strength make all the difference.  Look at the Rat, Marchand as an example of that.  (Yes, I realize he's a forward).

Shartchand only played with that tenacity because he had Lucic, Chara, McQuaid, and Boychuk roaming the ice crushing anyone you attempted to call the little prick out. His bravado and tenacity was based on who would protect his goofy ass.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Shartchand only played with that tenacity because he had Lucic, Chara, McQuaid, and Boychuk roaming the ice crushing anyone you attempted to call the little prick out. His bravado and tenacity was based on who would protect his goofy ass.

He still plays like that, even without half the goon support.  Besides, I'm not talking about the chirping and annoying antics... I'm talking about the willingness to battle and be strong for your size.

Point being that a player is only as large or small as he plays. 

23 minutes ago, kloubek said:

He still plays like that, even without half the goon support.  Besides, I'm not talking about the chirping and annoying antics... I'm talking about the willingness to battle and be strong for your size.

Point being that a player is only as large or small as he plays. 

Point taken. If he didn't do all that other crap, he'd probably be one of the more respected players in the league, rather than one of the most vilified.

Pedan looked good when he first played with the Canucks. So Willy made him a forward. Duh ! Having tall D men really helps because they have a greater reach. Pedan is also pretty mobile and a better D than forward. Maybe he wanted Pedan on the forward line so Vey could skate under him .

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎13 at 2:28 PM, kloubek said:

Disagree.  He's supposedly around 185-190 now.  That's still hardly hulking or ideal blueliner size, but big enough for a talented, mobile defenseman.  Look at Torey Krug.

I didn't know that he has filled out that much....still a smallish dman but if he can play in both zones...he could make it.

Archived