The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Carolina moving to Quebec?

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The locker rooms at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas are already labeled as "NHL Locker Rooms".

13151434_886098348183696_319643234259627

Gotta be happening.  

Now is it gonna be an expansion team, or a relocation?   

Flight to Vegas, hotel, ticket to the game. 

Still cheaper than a game in Vancouver. 

I really think Betty has to look at how leagues stay strong around the world and I can say this you go back to their roots and then make it bigger.Saying this I think Quebec needs a team,Saskatoon/Regina needs a team Victoria needs a team Hamilton needs a team and maybe one in Kelwona or South Surrey!!Then and only after that then give other US based cities a team like Seattle and Las Vegas!

18 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I really think Betty has to look at how leagues stay strong around the world and I can say this you go back to their roots and then make it bigger.Saying this I think Quebec needs a team,Saskatoon/Regina needs a team Victoria needs a team Hamilton needs a team and maybe one in Kelwona or South Surrey!!Then and only after that then give other US based cities a team like Seattle and Las Vegas!

Very limited corporate support in the cities named and that is what feeds the league.  The average fan does not purchase corporate boxes for hundreds of thousands of dollars yearly.

well lets say this south surrey and kelowna I know have money and backing for teams, Victoria also would have major backing,rest well would be nice and regina/saskatoon well most players are from there then anywhere else so bet many ex players would jump in and make sure they got backing!!

19 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

well lets say this south surrey and kelowna I know have money and backing for teams, Victoria also would have major backing,rest well would be nice and regina/saskatoon well most players are from there then anywhere else so bet many ex players would jump in and make sure they got backing!!

Not one of those cities could support an NHL club.  Vancouver will win a cup first before Bettman even knows how to spell Saskatoon.

I can see Hamilton getting a team one day, definitely not Saskatoon nor Kelowna though, Kelowna isn't big enough.  And Vancouver won't let another NHL team in the Fraser Valley.

13 hours ago, Creepy Crawler said:

I can see Hamilton getting a team one day, definitely not Saskatoon nor Kelowna though, Kelowna isn't big enough.  And Vancouver won't let another NHL team in the Fraser Valley.

Likewise, Toronto is blocking Hamilton...at least that was the rumour when the Sabres were potentially moving... 

On 5/17/2016 at 3:52 PM, Johnny Shotgun said:

Not one of those cities could support an NHL club.  Vancouver will win a cup first before Bettman even knows how to spell Saskatoon.

Hate to say it but most of those could support an NHL team and would love one specially kelowna as many ex Oil have moved there and there are big local companies,Victoria had a team pre NHL and sold out and would now,I just can't believe people here think they couldn't as they sure could!

9 hours ago, Qwags said:

Would rather see Columbus move. At least the Hurricanes have actually won a Stanley Cup.

At least people in Columbus actually know what hockey is. When the Canes won the cup in 06, a poll was taken, and over half of Raleigh/NC didn't even know they existed. 

16 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Hate to say it but most of those could support an NHL team and would love one specially kelowna as many ex Oil have moved there and there are big local companies,Victoria had a team pre NHL and sold out and would now,I just can't believe people here think they couldn't as they sure could!

Yeah those cities can fill small arenas far cry from 20,000 plus and CORPORATE box suites.  Think the fans there will pony up thousands of dollars yearly for season tickets and BIG local companies hundreds of thousands yearly for those suites not a chance.  And what billionaire or multi-millionaire group is going to cough up untold

millions for a franchaise fee in small market city. Oh wait we forgot about an arena probably need one, think they'll finance 500mil to a billion to build one.  Dream on.

Bettman will never allow a Canadian team to win a cup. It'll take money from the US tv view ship and sponsors. 

That means quebec won't get a team cause that would increase the team ratio of Canadian content that has a chance to win the cup. Yes i wear a tin foil hat.

8 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

Bettman will never allow a Canadian team to win a cup. It'll take money from the US tv view ship and sponsors. 

That means quebec won't get a team cause that would increase the team ratio of Canadian content that has a chance to win the cup. Yes i wear a tin foil hat.

What do you think no Canadian team in the playoffs did this year? It hurt the TV ratings.  Vancouver vs Boston brought ins ome of the HIGHEST ratings since 2006- when Edmonton was in the finals.  But I do agree the refs seems to be ou ot prevent the Canadian team from winning though.

that is why something has to be done like have a court say fans get to have a say as a third party plus the players and NHL so if players want more teams in Canada which would happen then we will have them someone has to start it and get backing by season ticket holders and anyone who spends money!

• 3 weeks later...

Some NHL executives now believe that the Carolina Hurricanes could be relocated to Las Vegas and expansion could on hold for now.

Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos owes the NHL $300 million in loans and the current legal battle between Karmanos' and his sons puts the ability of Karmanos to ever pay back those loans in doubt.

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Some NHL executives now believe that the Carolina Hurricanes could be relocated to Las Vegas and expansion could on hold for now.

Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos owes the NHL $300 million in loans and the current legal battle between Karmanos' and his sons puts the ability of Karmanos to ever pay back those loans in doubt.

This would actually be the smartest option at this point. It'd balance out the conferences again. Then Quebec and later Seattle could be added via Expansion. 

The NHL Executive Committee on Expansion has recommended a one-team expansion to Las Vegas.

The next step in the process is for Bill Foley to sign the expansion contract and transfer $500 million to the league.

Then the process moves on to the a vote from all 30 existing owners at the Board of Governors meeting on June 22nd.

Gary Bettman says the Hurricanes are in a sound financial position and that relocation rumours are unfounded.

"I don’t see the Hurricanes relocating, period," Bettman said in an interview. "I think the Triangle is a terrific market. A good fan base has developed around the Hurricanes and I see the opportunity for continued growth for this franchise in the future.

"Peter Karmanos is a terrific owner. This franchise has never missed a beat and he has been there to support it, financially and emotionally. All this speculation is unfair to the franchise and its fans. It’s completely unfounded."

Archived