The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Carolina moving to Quebec?

8 hours ago, pouetance said:

Ok again lot and lots of rumors in the last couple of days. Here a short summary.

1) Peter Karmanos doesn't have enough money to keep the team afloat. If he wants to remain the owner, he needs a partnership and he can't find one in Carolina.

2) The league is more willing to listen about relocation because they got a lot of pressure coming from the NHLPA and from the other governors. The NHLPA is pretty mad that the escrow is going to be around 20% next year. Quebec city would generate 3 to 4 times the revenues Carolina generate right now and that would mean that the escrow would be around 15% instead of 20%.

3) According to couple of sources, Quebecor has been negotiating with Peter Karmanos since last summer. A deal has been reached for 325 US. Karmanos keeps a 25% ownership and will act as governor.

This fit the planes that we've seen in the sky. There was a lot of traffic coming from Raleigh and Teterboro last summer. It was pretty quiet after that only to took off again last month.

4) No Canadian teams in the playoff this year is a disaster in term of revenues for the NHL . What many of us don't know, is that there a lot of publicity bought by Canadian companies even when there are no Canadian teams playing. For instance, Tim Hortons is buying ads on board in Boston, Los Angeles, ... because they know Canadians are going to watch the game on TV. This year it just not happening (the dollar value is not helping either) and a lot of governors are wondering if there are enough Canadian teams.

5) When the deal was signed with Rogers (and Quebecor), it seems like a promise was made to add a new team in Canada. I heard that behind the scene, Molson (Hab's owner) was doing everything he could to not see a new team in Quebec.

6)Trois-Rivières city officials (located 1h15 west of Qubec city) have met with Quebecor and were asked to speed up the construction of a new arena. It is believed that Trois-Rivière will host the affiliate team. There are many reports that Trois-Rivière have asked for financial support to construct a 5000 thousand seats arena. This mean either a Q team or an AHL team. I don't believe in a Q team since Shawinigan already got a team and is very close.

Last summer couple of planes were spotted coming from Teterboro to Trois-Rivière which never happen so this seems to be true.

7) The NHL office in Quebec city has been furnished and is ready to roll. They only need to bring computers. Again I find this weird to furnish an office if no team is coming in the near future... The dressing room is being built as well and Quebecor always said that it was not going to happen until a team was coming.

8) Expect the NHL and Quebecor to deny everything until it happens. This won't be announced until the season is done. So maybe in mid april. Again no specific date has been set yet but the Canes are playing their last local games against the Habs :-)

9) According to a local source Simon Gagné (who now lives in Qc city) will be involved with the affiliate and they are looking to have Martin Brodeur as the GM. I love Martin Brodeur so it will be nice. We just need Roy back now :-) This rumor is a bit more far fetched but it's still interesting.

10) Columbus and Quebec city would move to the Atlantic division and Florida teams would move to the Metropolitan division. Las Vegas will get an expansion team and that leave the door open for Seattle if they ever get the support they need to build a new arena.

That's it. Again take everything with a grain of salt as they are only rumors that I heard this week. But there is a lot of smoke right now. Rumors are just coming from everywhere and with the expansion approaching its final phase, I think we'll see something happening.

where are u getting this from can't not find it anywhere u making stuff up?

6 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

do u think it is true tho because no insider has reported

I don't believe anything I read, even from the insiders, until it's pronounced from the league.  Regardless of validity, Quebec City has wanted their team back for a long time.  Why did they build an arena, if not to get a team?  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't believe anything I read, even from the insiders, until it's pronounced from the league.  Regardless of validity, Quebec City has wanted their team back for a long time.  Why did they build an arena, if not to get a team?  

true i alway thought that has well. it makes no sense to build 500 million arena or the qjmhl team

3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

true i alway thought that has well. it makes no sense to build 500 million arena or the qjmhl team

I accept its hard to keep most everything secret in today's world of the Internet, but I wonder if the Canes moving to Quebec has been a done deal since the city built, started building, the arena.  "Build it and they will come".  It's just not in a farmer's corn field, but it's still looking like a dream coming true. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I accept its hard to keep most everything secret in today's world of the Internet, but I wonder if the Canes moving to Quebec has been a done deal since the city built, started building, the arena.  "Build it and they will come".  It's just not in a farmer's corn field, but it's still looking like a dream coming true. 

when did the Winnipeg announcement come during the finals

m

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ya, that's about right.  You hinting that's when the league announces the Canes to Qubec, and expansion the Vegas? 

my guess, but if is true sucks for the fans in carolina that they can't give a final goodbye

6 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

m

my guess, but if is true sucks for the fans in carolina that they can't give a final goodbye

I really doubt, with all the basketball and football, and NASCAR down there, many people will even take notice. 

Most of it, I hear it on the local radio and by following reporters on twitter and Facebook. Plus, there is one guy on Facebook that know a lot of important people working at Quebecor. I'm just summarizing everything I hear here in case some people are interested. I don't think will hear anything from the insiders until it's done just like we didn't hear anything on Winnipeg until it happened. 

Actually Darren Dreger spoke about it on Vancouver 1040. Here's the link http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/dreger-there-s-always-whispers-about-relocation-1.457800

25 minutes ago, pouetance said:

Most of it, I hear it on the local radio and by following reporters on twitter and Facebook. Plus, there is one guy on Facebook that know a lot of important people working at Quebecor. I'm just summarizing everything I hear here in case some people are interested. I don't think will hear anything from the insiders until it's done just like we didn't hear anything on Winnipeg until it happened. 

Actually Darren Dreger spoke about it on Vancouver 1040. Here's the link http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/dreger-there-s-always-whispers-about-relocation-1.457800

could pls give me links also interested. so has anything been official yet or jus reports, and has the team been sold

3 hours ago, Squamfan said:

could pls give me links also interested. so has anything been official yet or jus reports, and has the team been sold

If you are able to read French, this post has a lot of information : 

And nothing is official yet, only rumors.

10 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

There is also the issues of unbalanced conferences. 14 teams in the West and 16 teams in the East should never have been allowed to happen. 

Maybe renaming the "Metropolitan Division' would be a good start too.

15 hours ago, Squamfan said:

where are u getting this from can't not find it anywhere u making stuff up?

If I remember correctly, the Winnipeg move was hush hush for quite some time.  Also QC just built a new arena, for what?

On 2016-04-03 at 5:40 AM, iinatcc said:

If I was a Nordiques fan here are some of the questions I have if Carolina moves to Quebec City

1. The Carolina Hurricanes used be the Hartford Whalers so the Whalers were the Nordiques fellow WHA expansion cousins at the time. I am sure because of their shared history in the WHA and, I assume, division rivals. How would I feel having to support a team that used to be a rivals of the original Nordiques team?

2. The Hurricanes did win a Stanley Cup in 2006. How would Nordiques fan feel having Quebec City associated with two teams that have one a Stanley Cup w/o winning one of their own? Does this mean the franchise history of the Hurricanes and it's cup wins will be part of the new Quebec City's team? If so this makes the Avalanche first cup win even more bittersweet.

Whahh????

ok...

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎01 at 7:47 PM, pouetance said:

There are so many rumors right now that the Hurricanes are going to move to Quebec city (where I live). Three different reporters have stated today that the hurricanes are going to move at the end of the season. Plus, many sources have confirmed that Karmanos (Carolina owner) was in town last week.

And now here's the latest new : 

Quebecor has stated numerous times that the player room would not be painted until we got our team.

Can't wait to see if it's true. And Carolina last game is against the Habs :-) 

Why allow Carolina to move for next to nothing when they can charge them US$500 million

Archived