The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the Tesla Model 3 turn Elon Musk into the next Henry Ford?

aGENT

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

The average new car price in Canada is $28,000. Average Truck is $40,000. 

1.898 million new vehicles were sold in Canada in 2015.

Neat statistic. Doesn't make buying a new car a good financial decision. 

1. Most people don't have that money so they have to take out a loan. Unnecessary debt of that size is foolishness.

2. Their purchase depreciates heavily in the first 24 months. Much faster than their loan balance on an 8 year loan.

If I had 40k in the bank, I sure as hell wouldn't dump that much into something I could only sell for 1/3 the price in just a few years.

9 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Maintenance on a Tesla as follows: Tire rotation, A/C service, brake fluid replacement, battery coolant replacement. That's about it. Hardly a money pit.

Whether you want to spend $35k on it or any comparable car is up for interpretation however a $35k gas engine car will be much more of a money pit than a Tesla.

Did you not read part where I wrote 'I only paid 10k or less' ?

Maintenance is maintenance.  All cars need it.  Same goes with repairs. Thats why I called them a money pit and it makes sense not to blow a huge wad of cash on them unless of course, you are loaded and have tons of disposable income.

1 minute ago, Mustapha said:

Did you not read part where I wrote 'I only paid 10k or less' ?

Maintenance is maintenance.  All cars need it.  Same goes with repairs. Thats why I called them a money pit and it makes sense not to blow a huge wad of cash on them unless of course, you are loaded and have tons of disposable income.

I get that you only paid 10k or less I was just pointing out that maintenance is much cheaper on an electric car compared to a gas engine car and will only improve as technology advances. 

Every other automotive manufacturer has noted Teslas sales numbers and are working to bring their own electric cars to market. Tesla has been working without competition for the model S so far but the model 3 in particular will have a pretty competitive marketplace in the coming years.

Christ you can drive from Vancouver to Miami only using supercharge stations (free to Tesla owners).

Musk has stated that Tesla is working towards a battery pack and supercharge station that will recharge 80% of a battery in about as much time as it takes to fill a car with gas (under 5 minutes). But thats for next gen I guess.

7 hours ago, Mustapha said:

1. Most people don't have that money so they have to take out a loan. Unnecessary debt of that size is foolishness.

2. Their purchase depreciates heavily in the first 24 months. Much faster than their loan balance on an 8 year loan.

If I had 40k in the bank, I sure as hell wouldn't dump that much into something I could only sell for 1/3 the price in just a few years.

I never claimed it was a good investment. You asked a question, I answered it. 

12 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Who said buying a car was ever a good use of money; it's a form of conspicuous consumption, simple as that. You buy a car for convenience and its performance/aesthetics/etc, not for a potential return on your money. 

2 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Who said buying a car was ever a good use of money; it's a form of conspicuous consumption, simple as that. You buy a car for convenience and its performance/aesthetics/etc, not for a potential return on your money. 

I bought a car 2 years ago (1990 Mazda Miata) for just under $4k may be selling it today for a loss of $1k very few things could give me 2 consistent years of fun for $1k. 

Financial return on investment not great, fun factor return on investment ohhh yeah! 

Archived