The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Tattoo Thread

Rate this topic

Gettin' some work done today, and new tattoo day is always so exciting! It dawned on me that I haven't seen a thread dedicated to the fabulous world of body ink, and a quick search showed no such thread, so I figured I'd start one. Feel free to post your own tattoos, or even just ones you've seen & think are sweet!

This is the first tattoo I received, & it's the only one that I can't remember the artists name, or even the studio I got it done. It's my own drawing, had it for over a year & then got it as a Christmas gift.

DSC08669.jpg

Planning on getting something similar to this done as a half sleeve:

5298b4354b0262a1fb681c288957fca3.jpg

When it will actually get done is unknown and counting as I would need time off work while it is getting done...

Anyone in the Vancouver area have any recommendations for a shop that is good at this type of work?

• Upvote 1

Though I'm not biggest fan of tattoos, I can appreciate great artwork done. I have a pink ribbon over my heart done to honor my mom who had breast cancer 10 years ago, but pushed with all her strength and beat that piece of s***.

She still wasn't happy with me, even though it was meant to honor her :lol:

• Upvote 4
Just now, thejazz97 said:

That's cool. Where's the quote from?

It's a William Blake quote, it's one of the proverbs of Hell from his work "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell", which is amazing. There's actually several proverbs of Hell I'd like done, but there's several other pieces I want done first. Tattoo today is #7, got about an hour & a half til ink time.

Just now, falcon45ca said:

It's a William Blake quote, it's one of the proverbs of Hell from his work "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell", which is amazing. There's actually several proverbs of Hell I'd like done, but there's several other pieces I want done first. Tattoo today is #7, got about an hour & a half til ink time.

Wow! That's cool haha

1 minute ago, thejazz97 said:

Wow! That's cool haha

Yeah I highly recommend reading the Proverbs of Hell, the whole work is really good, but the Proverbs are very thought provoking.

"You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough"

1 hour ago, Jägermeister said:

Planning on getting something similar to this done as a half sleeve:

5298b4354b0262a1fb681c288957fca3.jpg

When it will actually get done is unknown and counting as I would need time off work while it is getting done...

Anyone in the Vancouver area have any recommendations for a shop that is good at this type of work?

Very few artists in Vancouver can come close to Remis level of BNG realism m8

And the top 2 have closed books right now and they have been closed for years only working with existing clients.

If you want that level of work be prepared to travel to Europe or to the States and set an appointment well in the future because of wait lists. Unless it is an artist that takes rolling bookings every 2-4 months.

Good luck

Also Check out the app: "The Brag Art List" as well, the creator still has thousands of artists to add and its missing many Canadian Artists but its a solid starting point. Its gonna be going through some updates soon too where you can search by style and stuff but check it out, it helped me a lot.

If not interested in that, GasTown Tattoo Craig Moston is a name that comes to mind to check out

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Very few artists in Vancouver can come close to Remis level of BNG realism m8

And the top 2 have closed books right now and they have been closed for years only working with existing clients.

If you want that level of work be prepared to travel to Europe or to the States and set an appointment well in the future because of wait lists. Unless it is an artist that takes rolling bookings every 2-4 months.

Good luck

Also Check out the app: "The Brag Art List" as well, the creator still has thousands of artists to add and its missing many Canadian Artists but its a solid starting point. Its gonna be going through some updates soon too where you can search by style and stuff but check it out, it helped me a lot.

If not interested in that, GasTown Tattoo Craig Moston is a name that comes to mind to check out

Riley Hogan might not be quite up to Remis level, but I love his work and he's in Calgary, so a lot closer than Europe or the US.

12778709_1248852198500248_2746574568451312238467_1182697888449013_52154864848048

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Riley Hogan might not be quite up to Remis level, but I love his work and he's in Calgary, so a lot closer than Europe or the US.

12778709_1248852198500248_2746574568451312238467_1182697888449013_52154864848048

Never seen his work before it looks ace. Killer suggestion for him! And someone new to follow for me :) so thanks!

I have a great rule of thumb for anyone wanting a good first tattoo.  Get an idea first, pick and artist, have a consultation. I'm not saying you can't a good tattoo with same day service, but my worst tattoos have come from that scenario.

Gastown Tattoo has some awesome new artists, Mitch was my neighbour until last year, and I would recommend him to anyone.  I have been going to Steve at Ashlar tattoo in Squamish for many years, formerly of Sacred Heart. It's really important to find a person who specializes in the style you want.  Don't go to a person who specializes in Traditional Scratch for an Asian Dragon.

Instagram is also a great tool to find new artists.  People should consider a road trip somewhere to get a tattoo...like saaaay, Portland OR.  Portland has a great tattoo community.

My sleeve.

20160414_135045_resized.jpg

My 18 year old walk in.  No regrets, I could get it covered, but I never would.

20160414_135153_resized.jpg

Edited by Chalky
  • Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Never seen his work before it looks ace. Killer suggestion for him! And someone new to follow for me :) so thanks!

Yeah, I've got a piece I want him to do, just have to arrange the travel...it's so much easier for me to get work done close that I put off the ones I have to travel for!

4 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Yeah, I've got a piece I want him to do, just have to arrange the travel...it's so much easier for me to get work done close that I put off the ones I have to travel for!

Makes sense of course!

Only thing for his work is I didnt see any healed pictures that didnt have a black and grey filter on the photo. Have you seen any of his work in person healed? It looks real solid though on insta!

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Makes sense of course!

Only thing for his work is I didnt see any healed pictures that didnt have a black and grey filter on the photo. Have you seen any of his work in person healed? It looks real solid though on insta!

Yes, my wife got a piece done by him, it's a year old and looks incredible.  I really want to get my act together and book with him for this winter. Gotta make it happen & stop making excuses!

3 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Yes, my wife got a piece done by him, it's a year old and looks incredible.  I really want to get my act together and book with him for this winter. Gotta make it happen & stop making excuses!

Ah fantastic to know. I may look at him for something in the future now.

How far ahead is he booked! 

Yea if you know what you want just make a date with him and stick to it!!