The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former Canuck and NHL legend Charlie Hodge Passes away at 82

theminister

Charlie also told me about how they used to ride the bus back in the day, when there was only the Original 6. 

Everyone would chip in $2 for beers and get three each. Charlie griped that someone was making a lot money off of that!

Now, Charlie was a little guy and not a drinker so he would only drink one, maybe two, of the beers. Because of that, everyone wanted to sit next to him on the bus because they knew they'd get an extra beer or two of his. "I was the most popular guy on the team!"

He told me as well that, in his rookie season I think, because there were no back-ups at that time he once had to dress for the Bruins against his own club, the Canadiens. That was the custom back then...if you didn't have a goalie the other team had to provide one. 

And he shut them out, his only shut out of the season. 

His team mates were pissed at him. Toe Blake, the coach, most of all. 

1 hour ago, theminister said:

He told me as well that, in his rookie season I think, because there were no back-ups at that time he once had to dress for the Bruins against his own club, the Canadiens. That was the custom back then...if you didn't have a goalie the other team had to provide one. 

And he shut them out, his only shut out of the season. 

His team mates were pissed at him. Toe Blake, the coach, most of all. 

Well no wonder he never got that big raise. :lol: Thanks for sharing all these stories, he sounds like an incredibly interesting guy to have a conversation with. When I was a kid and first started watching hockey, my grandfather passed down a bunch of old hockey books to me. A couple of them were Canucks history books and I was glued to the pages, reading about guys like Hodge, Kurtenbach, Paiement, Boudrias, and so on... players far before my time. Its nice to get a little insight into what one of them was like as a person.

11 hours ago, theminister said:

Just at Giants games. He was there every night, up until the last year or so, and sat up in section C where some of the scouts sit.

He was scouting for the Lightning when I first met him and then did some private work when he was let go.

He told me a funny story about scouting for TB and they were at the draft in 2008 and Charlie was big on a young goalie that played for Spokane at the time. Charlie was watching as the rounds went by, and knew the team wasn't going to take him early, so when the 3rd round came he suggested they take this kid. The management went another way and traded the pick. Charlie waited. Then they traded their first 4th round pick instead of take his guy and then took James Wright with their second 4th round pick... he was fuming. When the time came for their 5th round pick they still weren't going to take his guy.... and Charlie went nuts. He slammed his fists down on the table and created a commotion on the floor. "YOU EITHER TAKE THIS KID OR I QUIT!" In his eyes, what else was he employed for if they weren't going to listen to him? You have to understand, Charlie was soft spoken and gruff but never showed aggression.... the fact he did this shocked the whole staff and they took his pick.

That kid was Dustin Tokarski and who won the CHL Goaltender of the Year award the next season, a WJC Gold, and lead the WHL in almost every category. 

Thanks for that story as well. He sounds like was a nice guy, with good experiences to share.

16 hours ago, theminister said:

Just at Giants games. He was there every night, up until the last year or so, and sat up in section C where some of the scouts sit.

Yeah, I was a section C regular and saw him there at times over the years. A friend of mine got to know Charlie a little because lived not too far away from each other in Langley. Charlie provided him some good war stories.

Archived