The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Listening To...Canadian Edition.

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I met Danny a couple of times, but if we ran into each other today, we wouldn't recognize each other. Never met Joey.

The Lamplighter was already gone by the time I got to PR. (As was TJ's) Obviously I know Lonni, Ian and Geri, but I don't recognize those other names.

The lamplighter was/ is in gas town  right beside the townpump I had 2 reasons eerr excuses to be hangin out in gas town my job at dept of highways took me down south after hwys privatized in oct 88. I was going 100 miles an hour down there with all these connections  by the spring I landed with O’Brien’s back in rupert  which in hindsite got me out of that nite life stuff down there which was quite captivating at the post expo time. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 1

Bobby Taylor and the Vancouver’s. Taylor was instrumental in the Jackson fives discovery. Tommy Chong as well. Chong originally started out with Vancouver’s first strip club in Chinatown. Prior to that he was a cannery worker in prince rupert.  Referenced in a later Cheech and Chong album ft a single “ buster the body crab from prince rupert”  the same small cannery also employed Blair Thornton BTOs lead guitarist. As well as Kim Cambell  Canada’s first female prime minister. This song was later redone by the Supreme’s 
Cheech Marin was in van dodging the Vietnam war. The rest is history. Taylor had strong ties to Barry Gordy of Motown records. Chong could have succeeded in night clubs , or music but chose comedy.  strange beginnings in Canadian music history. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
On 6/20/2023 at 1:26 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

I have a story about these guys too....

We used to play a club in Stoon called the Capri. It was what we called a "Back Four" in those days, meaning you played Wednesday to Saturday night. I was with a crew from the Battlefords, so we could do the commute.

The Pikes had an EP out at the time. (One of the members' parents had some money, so they financed it for them) IIRC, there were 4 songs on it and I think Teenland might have been the single, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, the drinking age in Saskatchewan was 19 and these guys were all underage.....so they'd stand in the doorway of the club (there was kind of a covered foyer, before you actually entered the premises) and watch all the acts....

Used to see them every time we gigged there.

On 6/26/2023 at 8:48 AM, chon derry said:

Bobby Taylor and the Vancouver’s. Taylor was instrumental in the Jackson fives discovery. Tommy Chong as well. Chong originally started out with Vancouver’s first strip club in Chinatown. Prior to that he was a cannery worker in prince rupert.  Referenced in a later Cheech and Chong album ft a single “ buster the body crab from prince rupert”  the same small cannery also employed Blair Thornton BTOs lead guitarist. As well as Kim Cambell  Canada’s first female prime minister. This song was later redone by the Supreme’s 
Cheech Marin was in van dodging the Vietnam war. The rest is history. Taylor had strong ties to Barry Gordy of Motown records. Chong could have succeeded in night clubs , or music but chose comedy.  strange beginnings in Canadian music history. 

True story about Tommy....

In the 60s he was playing with four black guys and thought it would be "good publicity" to call themselves 4 Ni**ers and a Ch*nk....(sorry, not sure how to tell the story otherwise)

Eventually, they got so much backlash, they changed it to 4 N's and a C....

• Like 1
13 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

True story about Tommy....

In the 60s he was playing with four black guys and thought it would be "good publicity" to call themselves 4 Ni**ers and a Ch*nk....(sorry, not sure how to tell the story otherwise)

Eventually, they got so much backlash, they changed it to 4 N's and a C....

In the thumb nail pic of the vid I posed that’s Chong on the far right with the horn rim glass’s 

Edited by chon derry

@RUPERTKBDbeing a musical history  buff that I am but certainly not musical. You may have noticed I post with a local flavour. Here’s a couple of local things. Skip Prest of Sweeney Todd and prism fame is from terrace. My older  bro knew Kenny and Brian in the pic. Kenny was/ is a friend of skip prest and still lives in terrace. 

Swanson, December 2009

anote.gif 
Photo courtesy of Allan Swanson
anote.gif
I was the Hounds manager for about five months during their time.  I was present when the upper photo  was taken.

I have several posters I had made for their gigs.  I booked the Hounds and drove their bus all through BC. They also played the battle of the bands at the PNE in Van.

Eric says his voice is still very good and plays some gigs.

David still plays his Hammond B3 in Rupert most weekends.

Gary is wondering around the lower main land.  The rat plays very rough R&R on native lands around Terrace.

Brian, my dear friend, died last year on his boat on the west coast.

I'm retired in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, living a life of leisure, writing songs and marshaling at the Palmilla Golf Course.

Victor Horner

Edited by chon derry
9 minutes ago, chon derry said:

@RUPERTKBDbeing a musical history  buff that I am but certainly not musical. You may have noticed I post with a local flavour. Here’s a couple of local things. Skip Prest of Sweeney Todd and prism fame is from terrace. My older  bro knew Kenny and Brian in the pic. Kenny was/ is a friend of skip prest and still lives in terrace. 

Swanson, December 2009

anote.gif 
Photo courtesy of Allan Swanson
anote.gif
I was the Hounds manager for about five months during their time.  I was present when the upper photo  was taken.

I have several posters I had made for their gigs.  I booked the Hounds and drove their bus all through BC. They also played the battle of the bands at the PNE in Van.

Eric says his voice is still very good and plays some gigs.

David still plays his Hammond B3 in Rupert most weekends.

Gary is wondering around the lower main land.  The rat plays very rough R&R on native lands around Terrace.

Brian, my dear friend, died last year on his boat on the west coast.

I'm retired in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, living a life of leisure, writing songs and marshaling at the Palmilla Golf Course.

Victor Horner

Can't see the photo. Would "David" be Dave Wilson by any chance?