The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

depth charts are useless once camp starts. Past success shouldn't dictate where players are slotted in once we get this season rolling. As of right now WD should have no favorites. If Horvat out plays any other the players you listed then he is now ahead of them on the depth chart. It might not be all that hard to do considering what vey Richardson and matthias bring to the table.

BINGO!!

Obviously its Horvat, Vey, Matthias, and Richardson fighting for #3 #4 C. Im seriously hoping Horvat makes it but realistic and not surprised if he gets sent down due to him not having to pass waivers. Vey, imo, isnt a lock but with Bennings hype from the draft, I think its safe to assume he has a bit of a lock. Out of Richardson and Matthias, Richardson is better at faceoffs, has chemistry with Kassian and is cheaper. I wasnt too too impressed with Matthias due to all the hype that surrounded him for years. Well after the feeling of liberation from the 4th line in Fla, he finally got quality time on the 2nd line, then fell back to the 4th by years end. He couldnt seem to buy a win in the face-offs.

Again, last year was last year and hopefully we see what WD can do for this bunch. We are basically in "wait n see" mode until camp arrives and the pre-season helps to thin the herd and WD csn get a better assessment of what we got.

If Horvat can come in and achieve 10-10-20 and win faceoffs....the year is a success.

BINGO!!

Obviously its Horvat, Vey, Matthias, and Richardson fighting for #3 #4 C. Im seriously hoping Horvat makes it but realistic and not surprised if he gets sent down due to him not having to pass waivers. Vey, imo, isnt a lock but with Bennings hype from the draft, I think its safe to assume he has a bit of a lock. Out of Richardson and Matthias, Richardson is better at faceoffs, has chemistry with Kassian and is cheaper. I wasnt too too impressed with Matthias due to all the hype that surrounded him for years. Well after the feeling of liberation from the 4th line in Fla, he finally got quality time on the 2nd line, then fell back to the 4th by years end. He couldnt seem to buy a win in the face-offs.

Again, last year was last year and hopefully we see what WD can do for this bunch. We are basically in "wait n see" mode until camp arrives and the pre-season helps to thin the herd and WD csn get a better assessment of what we got.

If Horvat can come in and achieve 10-10-20 and win faceoffs....the year is a success.

Let's not forget that any of Matthias, Vey or Horvat can all play on their respective wings as well (I left out Richardson as he's a beast on the dot and a great 4C IMO).

Edited by J.R.

Ideally Matthias is on the wing, Richardson is a 4C, and we have a strong defensive 3C.

Richardson is a below average 3C but could be one of the top 4Cs in the league IMO. Matthias isn't great on faceoffs, but his size and speed is great on the boards on the wing.

If Bo is good enough to be a 3C (long shot, but we don't know until he shows up to camp), wow. We might actually be half decent:

D Sedin - H Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen/Vey

Matthias - Richardson - Hansen/Vey

Dorsett

I'm not getting my hopes up for that lineup, but that would be nice. Otherwise, Richardson might have to be 3C or Vey.

Bonino and Vey aren't particularly strong on faceoffs either, so that'd be ideal if Horvat can step in (and of course do well) as you've outlined and take pressure off Henrik. Richardson can do so as well, but having more than two options would be great.

Bonino and Vey aren't particularly strong on faceoffs either, so that'd be ideal if Horvat can step in (and of course do well) as you've outlined and take pressure off Henrik. Richardson can do so as well, but having more than two options would be great.

Neither is Matthias.

Horvat's defensive game and faceoff prowess are definitely legs up for him. This is going to be VERY interesting to watch :towel:

Is it preseason yet!! :wacko:

I don't know how well faceoff abilities translate from the OHL to NHL. I remember Hodgson was named the best faceoff man in the OHL, but that didn't translate into the NHL when he made the jump. Horvat being good in junior doesn't mean anything until he proves it in the NHL.

IMO we don't know if Horvat is better than Bonino or Vey at this point until camp.

Edited by Dasein

I don't know how well faceoff abilities translate from the OHL to NHL. I remember Hodgson was named the best faceoff man in the OHL, but that didn't translate into the NHL when he made the jump. Horvat being good in junior doesn't mean anything until he proves it in the NHL.

IMO we don't know if Horvat is better than Bonino or Vey at this point until camp.

Nobody said he was better. We said none of Vey, Bonino (or Matthias) have shown particular strength at faceoffs.

Horvat however, has (albeit at the Jr. level). We wait until camp/preseason to see how well that translates to the NHL level.

Edited by J.R.

Neither is Matthias.

Horvat's defensive game and faceoff prowess are definitely legs up for him. This is going to be VERY interesting to watch :towel:

Is it preseason yet!! :wacko:

Since hearing Benning say that if a youngster such as Horvat comes to camp and win a job that he will move a vet...I have a hunch that Matthias is gone by end of camp to make room for Horvat.

Since hearing Benning say that if a youngster such as Horvat comes to camp and win a job that he will move a vet...I have a hunch that Matthias is gone by end of camp to make room for Horvat.

That would be dumb imo. He's young, big and has speed. Looked like our best player most nights at the end of last season along with Kassian. Hansen should go if anyone.

• Upvote 1

That would be dumb imo. He's young, big and has speed. Looked like our best player most nights at the end of last season along with Kassian. Hansen should go if anyone.

Yeah I don't see it. I'd waive Sestito, and trade any of Dorsett, Higgins or Hansen before moving Matthias.

• Upvote 1

Nobody said he was better. We said none of Vey, Bonino (or Matthias) have shown particular strength at faceoffs.

Horvat however, has (albeit at the Jr. level). We wait until camp/preseason to see how well that translates to the NHL level.

If you read again, I'm not saying that anybody is saying that Horvat's better. I was just bringing up the fact that faceoff prowess in junior doesn't always translate to the NHL. It helps that his competition aren't strong at it, but that's about it.

Same thing as you said - we don't know until camp if faceoffs are to his advantage.

I think it goes both ways - you can't write off Horvat as being behind all the veterans on the depth chart because he is a rookie, and you can't bring up faceoffs as a potential advantage for Horvat when he hasn't shown it at this level just because the others aren't strong at it - even Patrice Bergeron was below 50% in his first year.

Yup, Dasein noted Matthias and I added Bonino and Vey. I think we all share the hope that Bo could be 3rd line center and be better at faceoffs due to his junior success, but we'll see.

Pretty much.

Edited by Dasein

I share the below sentiments - especially considering that Benning told Matthias explicitly that he tried to trade for him when he was in Boston.

Yeah I don't see it. I'd waive Sestito, and trade any of Dorsett, Higgins or Hansen before moving Matthias.

I'm of the opinion he's more likely to displace a winger rather than a center, if anyone at all. there is nothing wrong with him getting used to NHL pace on the wing. and of course he would still be an option to take draws if he is indeed better than the center he's lined up with.

I think this would be a really good bottom six:

higgins-matthias-vey

horvat-richardson-hansen

both of those lines could eat up a good amount of minutes. Now don't flip out over horvat's placement in this figuritive line up. Just spitballing how to create a talented bottom 6.

Edited by wshdrvvn

I'm of the opinion he's more likely to displace a winger rather than a center, if anyone at all. there is nothing wrong with him getting used to NHL pace on the wing. and of course he would still be an option to take draws if he is indeed better than the center he's lined up with.

That usually happens with centers who have high offensive capabilities but not yet the defensive responsibilities + faceoff abilities of a center (Seguin, MacKinnon, etc), but I do not see Bo as a type of player.

If Bo is to make the roster, he's the type that doesn't need that kind of sheltering. In fact, his bread and butter is his defensive game - not his offense. That's why people think he might make the team - defense. Also, we have a lot of depth on the wing, and where we are deficient is at center.

Bo's best chance is at center IMO.

Edited by Dasein

That usually happens with centers who have high offensive capabilities but not yet the defensive responsibilities + faceoff abilities of a center (Seguin, MacKinnon, etc), but I do not see Bo as a type of player.

If Bo is to make the roster, he's the type that doesn't need that kind of sheltering. In fact, his bread and butter is his defensive game - not his offense. That's why people think he might make the team - defense. Also, we have a lot of depth on the wing, and where we are deficient is at center.

Bo's best chance is at center IMO.

Kesler comes to mind.

Yup, Dasein noted Matthias and I added Bonino and Vey. I think we all share the hope that Bo could be 3rd line center and be better at faceoffs due to his junior success, but we'll see.

I hope Vey has really worked on his faceoffs over the summer. Having a good right handed centerman would be ideal since everyone else is a lefty. As much as I'd like to see Bo make the team.

Edited by WonderTwinPowers

Kesler comes to mind.

True. But makes sense when you look at Ryan's faceoff % in his first three seasons. He was under 50% on draws until 2007-2008 campaign.

If Bo's as bad as Kesler on draws, he'll need to be sheltered on the wing as well. That hurts his chances of making this team though, as we are deeper on LW than we are at C.

The last time a junior player go straight to full time NHL duty here in Vancouver was Trevor Linden. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Sedins came from SEL (which has just been renamed to SHL, btw), a men's league. Kesler and Edler did at least some time in the AHL first.

Would suck to see Horvat go back to junior (though it does mean I get to see him once a while here when London plays Mississauga). Somebody got to change the rules in the A.